“Great Experience!!”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent Hotel & ammenities. The lazy river, pool & hot tub were a fun time. The pool bar/restaurant had great food & drink selections.

I would also reccomend hitting the hotel bar one evening as there is quite the crowd.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a pool / lake / golf-course view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at the Grande Lakes JW a year ago, while tagging along with my fiancé on a business trip. This past March I needed a "heartbreak holiday" by myself and knew I would feel comfortable and safe alone at the JW. I was relieved to find the Grande Lakes experience was just as fabulous as I remembered it and the staff was above-&-beyond kind and accomodating. The grounds and Shingle Creek are pristinely manicured and so peaceful, I found comfort in watching the wildlife at sunset. The lazy river is a fun distraction and if you sit by the waterfall, it helps drown out the boisterousness of kids on vacation. Overall a wonderful resort; I hated to leave. But fortunately while I was there we had a rekindling of our romance and we are returning in May! I can't wait!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Corey C
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Staff was friendly, didn't have there hand out for tips, even though I do tip fair amounts. The rooms were very clean. Expensive, but, a place with all the amenities is going to be expensive. Slept with the balcony door open for a fantastic breeze.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and was very happy. My room was nice, clean and modern. The food was good, check in was very quick and while I didn't get in the pool, it was beautiful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I stayed on two separate occasions this March. I feel I learned a lesson on the difference between hospitality and hostage. JW Marriott will make you feel more like a hostage than a welcomed guest.

At every step of the way, JW Marriott has his hand out for another fee.

1. I expect to pay for parking in Manhattan, San Fran, DC etc..but this hotel is in the burbs with lots and lots of land. The 19.95 charge for parking is just extortion. I hate to valet because it is slow, but the alternative is pay $19.95 for nothing.

2. Wifi. It is 2013. Wifi is free almost everywhere from Panera and Starbucks right down to the lowest rent motel you can find. Charging $9.95 a day for Wifi (same for wired) is borderline un-American at this point and is definitely arises from a hostage situation.

3. Float on the lazy river? That'll be $7 for the float.

4. Have a drink or food by the pool? Get a ready for the hard sell by your server to super-size your order. Tip--you have to drink four large beers to make the upcharge for a 22oz beer make sense even including the inducement of 1/2 price after one.

The lazy river is the real feature of the resort and it is not that great. It is a meandering 3-4ft deep shallow pool that visitor walk or float around. Pretty boring. My eleven year old would much prefer a pool with a slide and there are tons of those in Orlando.

Rooms are appointed nicely but not well insulated for sound. We spent a late night listening to our neighbors discuss sales strategy before a, presumably, big meeting.

Bottom line. Meh.

Room Tip: High floors provide a great long distance view across flat Florida.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DanaMommy
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a conference. Excellent facilities and great room. A bit pricey. On site restaurants offer great food but prepare to pay a premium price! Overall good value despite being very expensive.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This property is 100% on target if you are looking for an Orlando experience. Disney can be enjoyed, and Orlando can as well. The J.W. Marriot Grande Lakes resort is completely accommodating with a lazy river pool, restaurants, convention/meeting center, and adjoining the Ritz Carlton with golf, spa, fitness center. The walking path along the river between the two properties is comfortable and enjoyable. You can see wildlife including an occasional alligator, indigenous birds and other aquatic life.

Likes: VERY comfortable environment and EXCELLENT service. Convenient to all Orlando venues from Downtown to Disney. Ritz Golf Club lunch is outstanding, and a VERY short walk.

Peeves: Have to mention - bath towels are thin and not representative of an ‘A’ class resort.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the Ware and Ritz.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family