“Not quite the service I would expect from a JW”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #69 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roanoke, VA
“Not quite the service I would expect from a JW”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed here 5 nights for a business conference. Conference facilities were excellent, however I was not overly impressed with the regular hotel staff.

The first morning, I needed a printer to print admission tickets to the Holy Land Experience. I stopped by the concierge desk and was told by the first person, "no problem, that lady can help you," pointing to the Orbitz person. After waiting 15 minutes, that person then told us that they didn't sell tickets to the Holy Land. I said, fine, I just need a computer to print. She then referred me to the FedEx Center where I would have had to pay for both computer and printer. It would have taken perhaps 2 minutes but since there wasn't a commission involved, she apparently wasn't interested.

The next day, we checked out the Lazy River and was disappointed to find no one had bothered to skim it. Way to pricey to have these issues, IMHO.

2 Thank Hokiechip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2013

air conditioning didn't work properly.
shower very very small.
Shower drain had offensive fumes coming out.
room service: pancakes delivered cold and glass had dried food on it.
you can hear thru the walls.

Room Tip: Bring your own food and drink as there is no selection in the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrfarrell
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a business conference and it was outstanding. The hotel/Resort is beautiful, everyone was friendly. Check in was smooth, my room was clean and nicely decorated. We moved througout the hotel for various training sessions and everyone we encountered was extremely nice. The Restaraunt Primo was excellent, along with their starbucks....I would consider staying here again with my family if we visit Orlando again.

1 Thank Bannunziata
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a business trip and really enjoyed our stay! First, I want to say that this hotel has the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in!! Secondly, the service that I encountered was the best I have encountered in a long time! there were very few negatives and the few negatives i did encounter did not cause us to enjoy our stay any less.

1) as mentioned earlier, the beds are heavenly!

2) pretty much every single employee I encountered greeted me with a friendly hello, how are you! From lobby staff, gardeners, employees in the halls. It was refreshing to see so many friendly faces.

3) the temperature of the pool was great! I am typically a freeze baby and rarely enjoy a dip in the pool as I think the water is too cold. The temp was great here. Enjoyed the lazy river (be advised to bring your own tubes or plan to buy one there for $7 as they are not supplied).

4). All of the food we ate while there was good! I ordered room service twice. Once for breakfast and once late night (3am). Both meals were on the expensive side. However, I have yet to encounter room service from any hotel that wasn't overpriced! That being said, breakfast for 1 (2 eggs, potatoes, toast, OJ and coffee) ran $32 including service and tip. Yes, it's incredibly expensive. However, I slept in, had no kids with me and enjoyed breakfast in bed so yeah, priceless! Worth the splurge! Second time ran $50 and included a 12 inch pizza 2 drinks and an omelet. Again, the prices would serve as a negative but I don't feel they are out of line with what any other hotel is charging. The food was really good, especially considering its room service. Breakfast arrived in 20 minutes and was hot when i got it. Our late night food took a bit longer but was also hot and fresh when we got it! Drinks were also on the expensive side, but again I don't think out of line with what other hotels would be charging.

5). Housekeeping was fabulous! One day I left the do not disturb on the door. When we returned to our room for the night, there was a bag hanging on our door. It contained towels, wash cloths, soaps and shampoos. Along with a note indicating they were left for us sine we had the do not disturb sign and they couldn't clean the room. I have NEVER encountered this and thought this is a really great policy to have. Other hotels should take note!

Additionally, although hot water took a while to heat up, it was ample. Never ran out of hot water and water pressure was great. The showers are nice but on the small side separate bath. Shampoo and conditioner as well as soaps, mouth wash, shoe shine rag and a box that included q-tips and cotton balls are included. For those out there where this matters it is a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of conditioner. Not a combination of the 2 in one product. This is something that makes a difference to me! There is also a mini fridge (although ours didn't work - but they did bring new one) a safe, iron (again didn't work and had to get a new one which was brought promptly) and a hair dryer.

Again, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return or recommend to others. Although I did not enjoy the spa myself, I knew several people who did and were very pleased'

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank jamey_mj
toronto
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were travelling with a 7 yr old and SeaWorld was the focus. The best part was that it removed you from Theme park "madness" and were still just minutes away.

The rooms were nice.

Resturants were good. Startbucks and Bakery were on premisis and good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave V
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went for conference to JW Marriott. checkin was super smooth and very friendly. Has free internet in the lobby bar. room was very nice and no complaints. Bed, as usual for JW's, was nice.
Food in restaurants was better than good, but not great. Also very expensive. Wait staff in restaurant could have been a little more attentive. Grounds and pool were excellent.
Not sure if I would bring my family here (with tween aged kids) as there is not a lot for them to do. Nothing is on-site as this is part of the Ritz-JW-Golf Course, so if you want to do anything else, you are far away. Note this place is not close to Disney and expect to take 30-40 minutes to get into the Parks.
I would come to JW as a place for business meetings, likely not with family.

Boca Raton
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here for a long girls getaway weekend. While the property is beautiful, the first impression is always the front desk and the young lady that greeted us made a less than terrific impression. She was snotty and seemed to have difficulty smiling. Even questioned our reservation because it was in the hubby's name. Oh well. Luckily we moved on to our room, which had a great view of the pool and golf course. The pool area is very nice and we also enjoyed the walking paths. This hotel is linked with the Ritz Carlton and we were able to eat at both properties. The room was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly very comfortable. Thought the beds were splendid and slept great. Didn't even have the typical hotel noise I have grown so accustomed to. Would definitely go back but hope for a more service oriented front desk employee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JazzyVazquez, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I would like to offer a sincere apology for your experience at the time of arrival. This is not typical of our standards and your concerns have been addressed. We will take your feedback as a mean to improve our overall operations. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Tesha Bailey