“This place is going down hill fast....”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the 4th year we have stayed at this JW Marriott. The first time 4 years ago it was fantastic but, it has gotten worse year after year. This last stay was enough for us never to come back.
The people at the reception desk were very unfriendly, rude and not helpful. The quality of the breakfast has changed so much that we didn't even want to eat there and it was included in our stay.
Our room was filthy, pillows stained yellow, bed had crumbs and hairs all over it, dust everywhere,
our shower door would not open. Unfortunately, we didn't check the room until we got back one evening at around 9pm. The resort was very quite so there were plenty of rooms available.
After complaining about our room it took them over 30 minutes to help us move to another room which was not even upgraded. They did nothing for us at all for our inconvenience and never apologized.

The week we were there they closed the pool down for a whole day even when the weather got nice. They were working on the exterior as well which made tons of noise throughout the day.

We came their to relax and it never happened.

The food, quality and service was very poor.
We never got a good night sleep because the A/C vent shoots out air directly on your head when your sleeping.
The mattresses are terrible.

As platinum members we definitely expected better service too...didn't happen!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lynn M

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lovely hotel, good meeting facilities. Meeting rooms were kept rather cold, however, and internet access was terrible despite being included in our group's package. Room was very nice, well maintained, good sized. Concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MajorNYC
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here with my family for several days in late September. It is a beautiful facility with quite a lot going for it.

Pros:
First class facility with plenty of marble and granite
Pool area is huge, but has plenty of alcoves for privacy
Lazy river
Service was excellent everywhere in the hotel
Network, both hard wire and wifi, were excellent
Close enough to the tourist attractions and other restaurants
In-room safe large enough for my laptop

Cons:
Buffet breakfast for $25 per person? Hard to see the value of that, so rated average
Closest self-park was a good 300 yards from the front door

Room Tip: Best views are the rooms on the pool side
1  Thank Philip P
Reviewed September 24, 2012

From the moment we walked into the opulent lobby I noticed a pleasent aroma. At check-in the receptionist was very professional and polite and acknowledged my Elite status by upgrading us to a suite! The entire staff was excellent, especially the concierge that provided us help to get around the local area. The lazy river was fun, but, the tubes were too small for an adult to float by sitting in one. The entire resort is well maintained as I noticed when I walked outside from the JW to the Ritz. On the walk back we walked inside and realized how lare this complex is since the JW connects to the Ritz. We used the self park, but a door to the convention center part was not far away (this kept me dry when it rained). Our first thought was to stay at a vacation club but there is nothing like a full service hotel, unless you have many small children, then a vacation club provides you with more space. All in all one of the be best Marriott's we have been to and will definitely return.

1  Thank Bob-1812
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here in June for a work conference. The grounds are lovely and the room was very nice. I had to call housekeeping upon arrival because the stocked mini-fridge had a couple of items that were open & I didn't want to be charged for something we didn't consume. It was a little frustrating to try to communicate with someone who didn't seem to speak English, but evidently they understood enough as we were not billed for the items. We needed towels & a box of tissues one evening so we went to the laundry room on our floor expecting to find staff members who could give us a couple of towels & a box of tissues. There were no staff members to be found, but there were some beer cans laying around......we just found that a little odd. If you're staying w/ kids, they will love the pool!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed 1 night and was upgraded to a suite for free - very nice. This place is very impressive but is also very big and, as a result, a little impersonal. Room was very good and the bed was great but it just didn't quire reach the level that I would give 5 stars to.

The lazy river looks great but you can't rent the floats so buying a family set for a short stay works out quite expensive. The hot tub was full of leaves and flower petals so didn't look inviting to me.

I know it's standard these days but I found $19.50 to self park my car overnight a long walk from the lobby a bit cheeky. It was pouring with rain so both my luggage and I got very wet walking between the 2. I asked if there were umbrellas available to borrow and was actually told that people expect to get wet sometimes in Orlando so they didn't provide them! Not impressed.

Breakfast buffet was OK but the service seemed to fall short from the moment I said I was on an inclusive rate so wouldn't be paying.

I've written a separate review of the Italian Restaurant Primo which was excellent.

6  Thank UKcritic
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Ok I REALLY liked this hotel. The entrance and lobby are absolutely breath taking. I really do think the hotel provided a good mixture for both adults and children. While the kids enjoyed hours in the lazy pool, we relaxed poolside and felt royal with our personal attendant. The rooms were very nice. They were a bit small for a family of 4 but they had all the up to date amenities. It's a bit pricey to eat in the hotel but there are several restaurants and malls within driving distance. The staff was very attentive and they were extremely pleasant. I gave it a 4 rating only because I feel the beverages and food were a bit expensive but other than that...loved it!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if your room is facing the parking lot or the pool. The pool facing rooms all have...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family