“Loved the JW - has everything you need”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #66 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago illinois
“Loved the JW - has everything you need”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed here for business, but will return for pleasure. This is a well maintained property, except for the rather ratty looking pool lounge cushions on the chairs, an issue that can easily be remedied and should be. This hotel is impressive on approach, with a marble floored lobby. There is a bar and restaurant on site, pool bars and a spa at the Ritz which is also on the same property. Service excellent. I dont golf, but the course appears well manicured. I enjoyed a large extremely clean room with a balcony overlooking the grounds and pool area. The pool is quite wonderful for a hotel pool, perfect for those traveling with kids as it has a mini lazy river. You do have to buy your own pool float, and they sell them right there (of course). Self park is $18.00. Valet is 28.00 (a little high for Florida in my view).The room is well appointed, hallways clean and brightly lit, bathrooms roomy with a glass enclosed shower - which I believe is a must for a hotel of this caliber. The bed was very comfortable with feather pillows. Turn down service a nice touch. We even watched the Disney fireworks from far away from the balcony. Sea World is right down the street. I would stay here again. It was lovely.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I (no kids) traveled to Orlando and stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel lobby smells so delicious! The hotel pumps in a fragrance that is divine. The lobby also had fresh ice water infused with cucumbers and pink lemonade. The rooms are decorated to the nines. Our bed was comfortable and our bathroom was spacious. The lazy river and pool and other outside ammenities are beyond expectations! This hotel has ruined us for all other stays. It's by far the one hotel we compare every other hotel to.

• Stayed May 2011
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We booked the marriott rewards package deal and got a $25 daily resort credit and breakfast for 2 at Citron. I give them five stars for check-in and room being available at 10 a.m. for check in. The rooms were nice and had a nice view of the pool and got to see the Disney and Sea World fireworks at night in the distance. The king bed was okay. We had some really loud kids on our floor especially late at night. Pool was extremely uncomfortably warm, It should be cooler especially in Floridas humid weather. Citron had a nice breakfast spread, they should change it up every other morning. Plus they should add chairs outside of Citron for all those people who are waiting to be seated. Valet needs to be a little faster and a little more organized. Front desk was friendly and helpful. I am still not a fan of hotels charging 22% gratuity and $3.00 service charge automatically on room service. Lazy river wasn't all that great, they need more flow to push people along, they should get pool tips from the Grand Wailea on Maui...I'm just sayin.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kimochii
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was the greatest hotel experience,from the bellman,Eduardo to our sales rep Jessica Reupert,we felt we were in good hands.we had our Board of Directors meeting here as well as a small vacation. Both went off without a hitch.The physical plant was beautiful and all staff r to be commended. Yaneris,our waitress during breakfast,was reflective all that is good about this hotel. Thank you Jessica,eduardo and yaniris for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank STEVENR08
MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Let me start by saying we are huge Starbucks fans. This property has a full size Starbucks in the hotel....awesome! We spent a week in Orlando with family and friends, our group consisted of 8 people. We planned on spending the weekend at the JW because it is a complete getaway from the Theme park atmosphere. This hotel is beautiful. The grounds are impressive. The pool area is really as nice as the pictures. Going down the lazy river you feel like you are in a jungle with all the bamboo trees and flowers, it is pretty well shaded so you don’t have to worry about sunburn. We had the best time on the sand volleyball court. You will notice the service level here is unlike most hotels, the staff is extremely polite and accommodating. The bar area is under a little construction right now, no big deal, they still serve. We actually played cards with our kids until 1am in the lounge because it was so comfortable, room service was nice enough to deliver us food right there as we played cards. You would think the employees wouldn’t want us in the lounge since we were not drinking but they made sure we felt welcome. The breakfast buffet was really nice, try to get a package which includes this because it is expensive, try to get the parking included too. Overall this hotel is perfect and "so fancy" as my daughter would say. I don’t know if I would spend a whole week here because it is pricey but the weekend was great. We will for sure be back! The only downside is that even being a platinum member, we did not get upgraded to a suite....but I will take the Starbucks over a suite anyday.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor lakefront room at check-in, the front desk staff is very accomodating.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TheTraveling4_mrare
FL
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is my second review of the JW Marriott. As before, the lazy river was awesome and the spa experience was wonderful. I am amazed at how clean they keep the pool, despite the hoards of people that are in and out. As before, they offered a "Dive-In movie" for the kids on Saturday night, but again we had to call four times to get any information about it. Very annoying. The main reason that I am not as enthusiastic about our experience is that we found some weird ants (mites?) in our room (which was on a high floor). On the plus side, they immediately sent someone up to check and got us a new (and nicer) room within 30 minutes of our call. The negative is that they came in and without telling us, started spraying pesticide around the room (while my kid and stuff was all over the floor)...not good. They should have waited until we had packed up our stuff and moved our kids before blowing pesticides all over the room. Additionally, my parents came with me and were in the adjacent room (cool that they got us together), but one of the waitresses in the restaurant failed to give them $40 change for the $100 that they paid with and quite obviously knew (she was shaking and seemed very nervous when she brought their receipt back with only $18 back instead of the expected $58). We reported her...it will be interesting to see if she is still there the next time we go back.

Anyway, we will still go back, but I am less "in love" with this place that I previously was.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2011

First class all the way. It was such a nice hotel, I was a little uneasy at check in that it was going to be stuffy and I'd feel out of place with my young kids. But it wasn't at all. We had a great time and food was delicious. I got a package that included free kids' meals at the restaurant. But be careful....a cocktail at the pool bar was $17.50 and $20 to park. I brought my own tubes for the lazy river so I didn't have to rent one from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family