“Things to know about costs”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #66 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
boston ma
“Things to know about costs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes the week of June 19/2011. We also stayed one night at the adjacent Ritz Carlton (long story) so I will include comments here on that property. Both Hotels are Marriott brands. We have stayed at Grande Lakes a few times before, and really like this resort. It is well run, in excellent condition, and has a very nice pool complex. Instead of repeating what many previous reviewers have already said well, I will address some specifics with regard to costs.

Many hotel websites seem to go out of their way to make things as murky as possible when it comes to saying what is included and what isn't, so I like to remedy that in my reviews. I don't mean to sound like a penny pincher; if I was I wouldn't stay at a place like this. I just always like to know what I'm paying for and assume you might want to know, too.

The JW and Ritz do not have a daily resort fee. That's a good thing, but while their room rates have remained pretty stable through the recession, other costs have become fairly stiff to make up for it. Specifically: A day pass to the spa (use of lockers, whirlpool, cold plunge pool, adult lap pool, steam & sauna, an excellent facility, one of the best I have used) is now $25. Use of the well equipped gym is complimentary, however. If you purchase a spa treatment, use of the locker/spa facilities that day is complimentary, too. Purchase of inner tubes for the river pool is $7 each, you keep them. You can also bring your own. You can use both the river pool and the adjacent Ritz Carlton's main pool without charge. (The Adult lap pool at the Spa is open 6:30am to 8:30am for lap swimmers without charge. The rest of the time you pay that $25 fee mentioned above.) Self parking is $18 per day, valet is $26 per day. This bothers me a little, as this is a sprawling suburban site with plenty of parking, yet they charge like it's in the city. Self parking is intentionally constricted by fencing off certain areas, and sometimes they run out, forcing use of the valet. Especially at the Ritz, where there appears to be no more than 70 or 80 self park spaces. This artificially constrained supply is a bit manipulative in my opinion.

The JW has an excellent breakfast buffet, $24 per adult. Many package room rates offer this as included and it's usually a good deal, often such packages include a small resort credit as well. Other room rates offer free parking. These are good ways to beat down the costs a little. Drink prices are quite high here, a mixed drink by the pool will run $14 to $17 a piece. Food costs are also steep, a burger and fries at the pool pushes close to $20. Citron, the main JW dining room, is similarly steep with a rather limited menu, though food quality is very good in all cases.

Having stayed in both of these hotels, I must say that the Ritz Carlton's furnished balconies in all rooms are a real plus, we really missed not having one at the JW. (Some JW rooms have a small unfurnished step out balcony, the rest have no balcony). For some reason they gave us a suite at the Ritz even though we booked a regular room, which was spectacular, at least 700 square feet, two balconies, posh. Thank you, Ritz Carlton! Since prices are often pretty close for these two hotels, I would consider the Ritz next time (even for a regular Ritz room, it still has a balcony). Service at both properties is exemplary; a couple of the waitresses at the JW actually remembered us from our last visit 3 years ago, which is pretty remarkable. I still give Grande Lakes a solid thumbs-up.

7 Thank jah39a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Skippack, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a week and had a great time. The pools were amazing and the outside bar had hands-down one of the best drinks I ever had called "taste the rainbow". I still crave that drink! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Overall we had a great time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts traveller
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

WE stayed here because I was looking for a 5 star hotel in Orlando. I also liked the idea of the river pool. The first day we were there we headed down to the river pool. There are gates surrounding the river pool but no one checks your key so ANYONE can use this pool. They make their money off of the bar. There are 7 dollar inner tubes for purchase. There is a towel house and again you do not have to show a card just take as many as you want. The chairs by the pool are old and ratty. There is a bar near the pool. People can buy cold six packs and they are encouraged to drink in the pool. With so many drunk adults I did not like my kids floating around it alone. Plus the pool was heated to about 95 degrees when it was 102 outside. Not at all refreshing. We also saw a DRUNK married couple fist fighting in the pool and no one stopped it. Eventually her bikini top slipped down. It was awful! The parking was also difficult. Breakfast buffett was excellent. But it was NOT a 5 star property at all.

Room Tip: I would ask for a lower room, away from elevatorss
5 Thank Charmagne88
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel. The grounds are amazing and the pool is like a post card.

The bad: They hose you for self parking and valet. They even charge you for internet.
Solution: Book a package that includes parking. Use you phone for the net.
Note to Hotel: Just raise you room rates. Several people I spoke with agreed that self parking should be free and the internet should be included in the price.
Note to members: Get on the mailing list. The only time I will stay here is with a reconnect package. Discounted rate, free parking, free breakfast, free upgrade to lake view. Remember they need our money more than we need to stay there. We all have lots of choices.
The bad: The drink and food prices in the hotel and at the pool are beyond absurd. 19.00 for a drink. Shame on you JW. I would have four or five drinks a day at $7.00-$9.00. I will pay for zero at ridiculous prices.
Solution: There is a liqueur store about three miles down the road. We just make our own drinks in the room. Breakfast is free. We let them hose us on lunch and eat dinner somewhere fun in town. Stop at the store and stack up on snacks.
Note to Hotel: We would love to eat and drink at your hotel. We don't mind paying a premium for something good....it's just your prices are ridiculous X five. Guys it's 2011. You need to have WiFi everywhere and it needs to be free.

The good: The grounds are amazing. The rooms are clean. service is good....not what you might expect from a JW. but still good. It is in a great location close to everything. I am very fond of this hotel even though it has some issues. as long as you know the ropes you will have a wonderful time. Don't forget to bring a water bottle for your drinks unless you have money to burn. Definitely not perfect but truly a cool place.

13 Thank livingthegoodliezzz
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

The rooms were very nice, but the greatest thing about this hotel is the pool. They have a lazy river, great bars around the pool. It is a great hotel for family fun by the pool.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingFamily7778
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

Very nice hotel and very attentive staff. The pool was great! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Galina-NHG
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Consistently high quality stay. Frequently add on leisure time to my business trips when staying here. Especially good for conferences and other business meetings, as it is very easy to get from the event side of the hotel to the rooms and back again. This is a very well managed hotel/resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business