“Excellent as long as you know the ropes”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #73 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel. The grounds are amazing and the pool is like a post card.

The bad: They hose you for self parking and valet. They even charge you for internet.
Solution: Book a package that includes parking. Use you phone for the net.
Note to Hotel: Just raise you room rates. Several people I spoke with agreed that self parking should be free and the internet should be included in the price.
Note to members: Get on the mailing list. The only time I will stay here is with a reconnect package. Discounted rate, free parking, free breakfast, free upgrade to lake view. Remember they need our money more than we need to stay there. We all have lots of choices.
The bad: The drink and food prices in the hotel and at the pool are beyond absurd. 19.00 for a drink. Shame on you JW. I would have four or five drinks a day at $7.00-$9.00. I will pay for zero at ridiculous prices.
Solution: There is a liqueur store about three miles down the road. We just make our own drinks in the room. Breakfast is free. We let them hose us on lunch and eat dinner somewhere fun in town. Stop at the store and stack up on snacks.
Note to Hotel: We would love to eat and drink at your hotel. We don't mind paying a premium for something good....it's just your prices are ridiculous X five. Guys it's 2011. You need to have WiFi everywhere and it needs to be free.

The good: The grounds are amazing. The rooms are clean. service is good....not what you might expect from a JW. but still good. It is in a great location close to everything. I am very fond of this hotel even though it has some issues. as long as you know the ropes you will have a wonderful time. Don't forget to bring a water bottle for your drinks unless you have money to burn. Definitely not perfect but truly a cool place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank livingthegoodliezzz
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes

Reviewed June 22, 2011

The rooms were very nice, but the greatest thing about this hotel is the pool. They have a lazy river, great bars around the pool. It is a great hotel for family fun by the pool.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelingFamily7778
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Very nice hotel and very attentive staff. The pool was great! Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Galina-NHG
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Consistently high quality stay. Frequently add on leisure time to my business trips when staying here. Especially good for conferences and other business meetings, as it is very easy to get from the event side of the hotel to the rooms and back again. This is a very well managed hotel/resort.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TallyBill
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stood here for five nights for a business conference at the Peabody Hotel nearby. My stay was excellent but definitely had its cons.

The decor and setup of the lobby is incredible; all doubts about the rating of this place disappear upon entry. There are plenty of bus-boys waiting at the entrance to help you with luggage and make you feel well accommodated. Service at the front desk was pretty good and understanding as well. They have an indoor Starbucks! That's pretty exclusive to me.

The rooms are wonderfully sized and well-stocked with useful furniture. It was nice to see that I didn't have to pay for the room locker; most other places charge for this. I LOVED the bathroom setup; it's about as big as the room itself and has a tub for soaking and a stand-up shower for bathing. Very relaxing! Rooms situated on the high floors have fantastic views of the campus; I'd get these if the option comes up.

Unfortunately, not everything during my stay was comforting. The hotel, while connected to a Ritz on a HUGE campus, is, relatively, in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Walgreens was a hair over a mile away (the concierge told me it was "across the street" so I walked it in my sandals and shorts...not pleasant) and getting to any restaurants outside of the hotel is at least a 10 minute drive. There are plenty of taxis available to get to Universal Studios or Disney, though. One could rent a car (which can be surprisingly cheap here in Orlando), but $18/day self-parking makes it a somewhat expensive exercise. This is fine for resort getaways, business trips or personal time, but a complete bummer for those looking to explore the city (of which there apparently isn't much of).

This might be obvious to some, but the food here is expensive. All of the dinner entrees were over $20, which can rack up quickly after drinks. The quality of the dishes were amazing (though I've had similar experiences for less here in NYC), but the service was surprisingly poor. On my second to last day here, I ordered a leek salmon bagel for breakfast but, impressively, got everything except salmon...after waiting 20 minutes for the meal and about 10 minutes before that for a server. I had to wait another 10 minutes after that to get my correct dish, and nothing was comped off the bill to boot (like other places would've done...how do you forget the salmon on a salmon bagel?) In another instance, my colleagues and I had to get a server ourselves to get any attention and waited another 10 minutes after that for our drinks. Surprisingly unacceptable for the prices we paid.

Finally, I was even more surprised that wireless internet costs ~$16/day to use here. How is it that motels that cost significantly less have free wi-fi whereas a four-star hotel with a conference center does not? For the sake of completeness, the Peabody had a free, though slow, and paid wireless points for its patrons.

While I enjoyed my stay here, there were too many little issues that I didn't get from sleeping at hotels of much "lower" caliber. If I had to come to Orlando for a conference, I'll probably opt to stay somewhere a little more active...and cheaper at that.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mrcrassic
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Admittedly, I'm a Marriott girl. But I was unimpressed here. Our first impression was not a good one, due to poor signage and difficulty with the parking areas (the gate(s) wouldn't work on more than one occasion, and apparently we weren't the only ones with issues, as they had obviously been rammed through by others!) That aside, the bellstaff was pleasant and welcoming. I went to the front desk area, where there were 4 or 5 ppl behind the desk; there was one other guest there, yet none of the other staff even looked up or acknowledged the fact that I was standing there. I'd say I stood there for about 3 minutes before someone acknowledged my presence. The public areas and rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. However, 2 DOUBLE beds instead of 2 queens?! At a JW???? Really? And not very comfortable double beds, at that. Even my kids complained about the bed size and comfort, and they never complain about beds. The pool/lazy river areas were absolutely gorgeous, though we arrived in the afternoon the first day, and there was quite a bit of trash and towels everywhere, with no one seeming to be around cleaning up. There were plenty of treed, shady areas, as well as sunny areas and umbrellas.
This is a nice hotel, don't get me wrong...but it's not a "complete package". It didn't seem like a JW. The front desk staff didn't seem genuinely welcoming, nor did the girl at the pool bar. They kept screwing things up (charges that weren't ours, keys that wouldn't work for parking, etc). I was glad we were only there for 2 nights. Meh.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank davenlis
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We went to this hotel last fall for a conference and was probably one of the best stays we've ever had at a hotel.

Everything about this hotel speaks elegance as soon as you walk in from the lobby, rooms, food, and other amenities. The pool at this hotel is probably the best I've ever been to outside of the private pools in Vegas...it was a little windy this time of year though but still warm and hit the pool during lunch/after our conference sessions. We switched hotels after the conference to be on-site at Universal, but would highly recommend this hotel although I'm sure it is quite pricey.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business