“Nothing Wrong With Westgate” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #198 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Surprise, Arizona
“Nothing Wrong With Westgate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort from March 25 to March 29. We had pre-booked/paid though Expedia. Check-in was quick at the registration desk. We took other reviewers' advice and went straight from the registration desk out to find our room bypassing the timeshare folks. We were in building 1300, 3rd floor with a very nice lake view. The screened balconey was very nice, only wished it had two lounge chairs. Instead I used two regular chairs wile my DW used the lounge chair. The room was spacious with a king bed. It was clean. We played golf all day every day, returned to wash, went to dinner, and back between 9-10 PM. Some times parked closer than others but never very far away. The kitchenette was nice with a decent sized refrigerator, glassware, sink, toaster (maybe other stuff we didn't use like a coffe machine). Bathroom was fine with very good water pressure in the big enclosed shower stall. We didn't use any of the resorts other ammenities. For a place to stay, it was nice. Location was good just a few minutes from the main stretch on International Drive.

• Liked — Clean, good-sized room, good value.
  • Disliked — No internet
1 Thank ChuckHas
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since you last stayed with us. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Luna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2007

My wife, kids and i spent a week here, service was great. check in time was 4pm we checked in at 12:30, room was very neat and clean. area attractions were very easy to get to, great location. Our tour guide was Angie, very nice and respectful salesperson not overly pushey.we went to the tour not intending to buy, and we didnt. altho we really liked the place I would go back here in a heartbeat

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank bzartman

New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

I stayed here March 4 - 10, 2007. To start, the check in process was fairly simple. We went into the main lobby and there was no line, someone at the desk helped us right away. She was done in a few minutes but then directed us to the dreaded table opposite the check-in desk for directions to out room that other reviews have mentioned. Fortunately we were not there on a deal with a timeshare presentation, but I kept myself ready for any sign of trying to get us to do one. Well one of the first questions the person at this table we had to see asked was if my girlfriend and I were married. We told him no. He showed us where the room was on a map and then asked if we lived together. At that I told him no and that we were actually still in school and here on Spring break. At that point he had no more questions and let us go off to find our room.

The room we had was in the 1100 building, which was pretty close to the main entrance but did hot have a lake view, just a pool view. It was one of their 2 bedroom villas, which is actually larger than the apartments of some of my friends. There was nothing terribly wrong with room, it is just dated and really has a mid 80's look. The green leather couch in the main room felt and looked like it had seen better days. There was also a big screen TV in the main room, but it was no newer than early 90's. It had scratches on the screen and picture and sound quality were rather poor. Next to the big screen TV there was a newer looking CD/Radio mini system. The dining table and chairs were nice.

The kitchen was a good size, although the appliances were clearly from the 80's. The dishwasher soap holder didn't open during the wash cycle and wouldn't clean anything too well unless it was sufficiently rinsed before putting it in the washer. The sink is not a good size for washing larger pots or bowls, it’s not deep enough and the faucet is too low. The clothes washer and dryer were also dated, but seemed to work well.

The smaller two bed bedroom was poorly lit. There was one compact fluorescent light above each bed.

The master bedroom was nice. It has the king size bed and a 27' TV. The jacuzzi tub is huge. There is a double sink vanity. However, the shower is actually in the corner of the room next to the jacuzzi. It does not have iced glass either, it is all see through. That was a bit unusual. However the other full bathroom has the shower inside of it, as would be expected.

The screened balcony was a nice spot to have coffee in the morning or to just relax in the evening. A few nights the pool attracted some rowdy younger looking people, but security was there around 11:00pm to disburse them and the lights for the pool went off around 11:50pm.

Concerning parking, I thought at first it would be no problem. The first night we were there, we came back from Downtown Disney around 12:30am and got a spot right in front of the building. However, as the nights passed, parking got worse and worse. We were actually coming back by 10:00 -11:00pm and did not get a spot in front of the building the rest of the stay. We had to park a bit further, near the pool which was not too bad, but the last night, we had to park in some adjacent lot, as all the spots near the buildings were taken. Clearly, this place was not built with parking in mind for every room.

Room key cards were also a problem. For the first day or 2, they worked fine. Then the one I had stopped working. The last 2 days of our stay, the one my girlfriend put in her purse stopped working too. Well, they did not stop working entirely, but the last 2 nights we stood outside the door for 5-10 minutes repeatedly swiping our key cards trying to get the door to open. After a lot of pushing and pulling on the door and swiping, one of the cards decided to work. Clearly, as other reviews seem to indicate, this is a resort-wide problem at Westgate, but there is not really anything that can be done to avoid it.

Overall, I’d rate our stay at Westgate Lakes as good. However, we were not really there for the resort, we were there to go to Disney. Having to always get on I-4 to get to the parks was a bit of a nuisance, so if you are going on trip just for Disney, I would try to stay closer. We picked Westgate because we were able to get a room with a kitchen for the time period we needed and for a good deal. I would have much rather have stayed at a Disney resort, but there was no way that we would have gotten the same deal that we had at Westgate for a similar room at a Disney resort.

6 Thank tlcmet

Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We really liked the resort. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa but did not use the 2nd room. We loved it. Very luxorious top of the line room. Alot better then just staying is a regular hotel. We had all the ammenities in our villa plus more. If we wanted to stay in our villa all day we could and it was very spacious and roomy. The Master bedroom and bath was amazing. The resort is in an easy location to get to Disney or downtown Orlando.We found the staff very helpful, and as we were firm they were not to pushy. Overall it was a great stay.

• Liked — Masterbedroom and bath
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jgregoropoulos
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this resort. The first was in march 2004 and now jan 2007. We loved it both times. The 2nd time we traveled with 14 people and westgate was the perfect place for our large group. I booked this via the phone and got a 3 bedroom condo for $475.00 for a full week. Yes, we did have to sit for the high pressure sales pitch. Our check in process went smooth and we had friendly service. We were guided to our condo in the 700 building. We did have a problem with the sink in the kitchen and it was fixed within 1 hour of calling. Housekeeping is provided to only thoes who own a condo, so that would explain that. We had no plan of buying when we went to the high pressure sales pitch. And yes, it is very high pressure. But we had to sign a form saying that our names would be added to a data base so that we would not be able to stay at a westgate property since we have stayed twice. This was the main reason we bought, we knew we would be back to orlando the next year and wanted to stay there. We did have to "talk" to them for 5 hours until we reached the price and deal we wanted. I had read the bad reviews on this site and most are bad, which does surprise us. We have enjoyed our time at this westgate and look forward to our next trip.

• Liked — location, full kitchen, washer/dryer, shower
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed January 2007
5 Thank mjjmr

Atlanta,Ga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

This was the worst experience of my life. First, my husband and I found a promotion on their website ---.com for 3/2 with theme park tickets for $99 we call and tell the agent this is th package that we want and while we are confirming the vacation my husband ask do we tell you which park we want to go to so that we can get the tickets the guys says while you can let the front desk know what tickets you want when you check in.We check in on Friday afternoon after we drove 7hrs from Ga. the check in was horrible about 45mins just to check in. We get to the room, the room is nothing like the picture online the picture online are of the villas you would have purchased after the so called "90 no pressure timeshare",anyway we have no stove a small fridge that can only hold some sodas and a styrofoam plate.The tub was dirty had hair in it, The towels had spots in them and someones hair, the toliet backed up and the comforter was not clean smelled like smoke on the blankets that were in the closet.After alll this we find out our package did not come tickets, and our presentations was set for Sun the day we are leaving at 11 am we call the service desk and she gives me a 800 # to call asking about the package and the presentation.I call this 800# and was on hold the 1st time 43min and finally spoke a Sharon she informed me that our package does not come with tickets and that we were scheduled for a Sun tour at 11am informed her that is not what we have so she "changed" the time to 10:30am Sat,as for the tickets she said I would have to call Travel Solutions to get time to hear a tape regarding our reservation I called was on hold no lie people over an hour and when I finally get through I am told they don't deal with that and I should have been talking to the people I was talking to the first time so I am ----- at this point, I call the front desk and ask for a manager and I am put through to a voicemail, I call back and the girl said the manager is not there, I refused to hang up and she finally gets a PBX manager Melissa, I tell her my situation and she ask for the # I had for reservations, I give her the # and she said this is the # to the Las Vegas Call center, she said she will call them and will give me a call later,I am livid at this point, she finally calls back with someone from the center on the line also the lady tells me that my package did not come with tickets and that I could purchase tickets for $30 I said fine, tired of trying to explain, Melissa tells me that I can pick up the tickets before 10:45pm that night .I get there at 10:30pm and a guy is looking at me locking the door, I tell him I ma here to pick tixs up he said they are closed I said Melissa told me to come he said no one works here that name so I leave.Another guy that was at the front desk is in the corner away from the desk talking on his cellphone,when he finally sees me I ask him for Melissa he says she is outside and I can't leave my post"Yeah Right You were just talking on you cell away from your post"Melissa finally comes and we go back to where I was being locked out and the guy said Oh I didn't know you meant this Melissa, After 10-15 mins the lady "Moresaul" giving the tickets tried to make me pay another $30 Melissa informed her that I had already paid for the tixs,After 25mins there I finally get the tixs.I ask if my tour is confirmed for 10:30am the next morning she said no its for Sun at 11,so again I had to change, They did not have an 10:30 only a 7:30 so I had to take it.We get there at 7:30 and we don't check in until 8:18am they say because the computers crashed , the had to page our very rude salesman "Qualid" and he takes his time to get to us at 9:30 does not shake hands or introduce himself just says walk this way,We go to a room where they are serving breakfast informed him we did not want breakfast just wanted to start the tour he said that I am being rude and if I did not want to take the tour don't take and we won't be wasting each others time,didn't have a problem with the taking the tour we didn't want breafast that was not being properly served,not being rotated and everybody picking their food with there hands.He leaves us there for another 30mins anf comes back with a manager-the saleman tells the manager we wanted to leave and did not take want to take the tour,lies- we had not problem with the tour she said the computers were down and they show a check in of 8:18am and at 9:48am out presenation was over after all his blah blah blah, he says the tour is not over until he is done, after taking the tour high sells, talking to a General Manager and telling him no for the 1000th time we coulf finally leave. I will never ever ever ever stay hear again or tell anyone I know to stay here,and I will be contacting the Corporate Office in the morning.

• Liked — Patio
  • Disliked — Everything
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank atcooper24

miami, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

My husband & I wanted a romantic getaway! Check in was at 4:00 p.m. and we checked in at 3:20p.m. with no problems. When we checked in and we got are key cards the girl at the front desk said that we needed to go to the people in the center of the room and they were going to show us to are room and give us a "welcome packet" we knew that they were timeshare reps. so with are keys we walked out the front door and found the room by ourselves with no problems(hint:the # of the building is the first # of the room)ex: Room #932= 9 is bldg#900 and 3 is the floor level 3rd floor) :) As soon as we got to are room we put the do not disturb and they didn't. We rented a studio for 1 night and it was perfect the jacuzzi tub was wonderful everything was lovely. Late at night the parking was packed but we found one by luck near are bldg. Are room was extremely clean. The next day the people next door didn't put the sign on there door and housekeeping was there at 8:30a.m. to find out if they were checking out. So I strongly advise you put the sign on the door if you don't want to be bothered. Check out was a beeze because if you want express check-out it is available just drop your keys and parking tag in the box by the exit and that's it. We went to Sea World which was less than 7 minutes away and International Dr. is less than 3 minutes away. The hotel was close to everything. We loved it!!! We would stay there again any day.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — parking
6 Thank dbohj23

Luna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,420 reviews
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!