“Save your money and stay somewhere else!!!!”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #202 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 7, 2006

This place is a dump... Their slogan is Welcome Home that is far from the truth because I do not keep a dirty home. They say that first impression is everything and this place failed. First the lobby is a crazy madhouse people are standing around and everything look disorganized. We rented a 1 bedroom studio for $160 for 4 nights and I would have rather stayed at the city park. The showers were broken and when my husband went to put away the table mats in the cabin a big roach jumped out on him. So you know we ate out the whole time. Also this place does not do any house keeping they did not change our towels and sheets they said that service was an extra cost or we had the choice to use the laundry facility that was located on the 2nd floor. Now if I stayed at a hotel we would of received clean linen and towels daily and not for an additional fee. Also the parking was awful we had to find parking in other part of the resort because the place was over crowded. When we to the 90 min presentation the sale person lied to us saying that all the units looked the same and this was a first class resort which was a big joke. When we said we did not want to buy she got her rude manager who was talking on his cell phone and chewing gum saying we would be insane not to buy I informed him that this place was a dump and they should pay me to stay there. He then told me that I could never stay with them again and I told him that he was not doing me any favors. Well here when the problems started the next day we were due to check out and check out time is at 10 am which is crazy well at 6:30 am someone was trying to get in our room and then again at 8:00 am they did it again I was scare as hell because I thought that someone was trying to break in and it was the cleaning staff I guess they were telling us to get out. We got the message loud and clear and got out of there. I can honestly say that we will NEVER stay here again and this place was a real dump and a scam they offer me a 2 bedroom unit for $34,000 and when I got finish telling them about how raggerly their place were they offer me the same unit for $11,000 so that tells you they are looking for everybody and anybody to sell and the worst part was the sale representative told me if I brought they unit they would not do a credit check. I was in shock because she said that to me and I told her maybe they need to do some type of credit check because the look of some of those people walking around that place they made the place look like a high price project... So if I were you please don't stay here I am not the type to complain but I have to warn you that you will not be happy, or safe in this dump...

Stayed: July 2006
31  Thank monejae007
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2015

Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

Luna

Write a ReviewReviews (5,711)

Reviewed August 2, 2006

My family I decided to take our vacation in Florida. Upon arriving to the Westgate Lakes Resort in Orlando, Florida we discovered that our reservation was cancelled due to overbooking. Representative said that we had to stay at Super 8 for the same amount of money we paid to stay on grounds. After attempting to resolve this matter, the representative says we weren't the only guest that was turned away. That comment didn't set right. The representative made a smart comment as to if we wanted to cancel the stay. After reading the disclosure that was sent, I went to my car and got my husband. If we had canceled we would have paid $25 cancel fee and $125 for the first night stay.

So we decided to ask for the manager. We spoke of our rights as a consumer and threaten to contact our lawyer in reference to breach of contract. Then and only then they were able to find us a room at Westlakes. The manager would not take anything for our inconvience. Of course she passed the buck to the customer service rep that actually booked the reseveration.

To put the icing on the cake, theTimeshare presentation was 3 hours long, not 90 minutes. The tour rep became irrated with us and our friends since we both decided not to invest in a timeshare. The represent left us at the table, he didn't thank us for coming. We beckoned for the rep to come back to our table, his response was for us to come to him. WOW !!!!

When we returned home, I contacted customer in reference to this incident.. Of course the CSR refuse to allow us to speak to a manager. After refusing to hang up, then and only then we got a response. The manager refuse to give us a discount and she also said that we can do whatever you want to do. WOW!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
32  Thank shga06
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2015

Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since you last stayed with us. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2006

WARNING HIGH PRESSURE TIME SHARE PRESENTATION IS OVER 2.5 HOURS LONG.

We just spent 4 days July 18-22 at Westgate Lakes. We stayed in a studio room. The room was nice, but undistinguished. There were 100’s of children running and screaming everywhere. Ok, it is a family resort, but we went on vacation to get a rest from our four. Some effort should have been made to keep families and couples separated. Service was uneven. the staff seemed to consist of two types nice and helpful and rude and incompetent. Unfortunately, there were at least four rude and incompetent for every nice and helpful staff member.

By the day of our presentation we were quite disgusted with the place. The time share sales pretended to be interested in our complaints, but in reality they were only interested in selling us an overpriced time share. The presentation was not 90 minutes long as advertised. It lasted 2.5+ hours. It only ended when we threatened to complain to every governmental agency that would listen. In order to prevent you from leaving, they take you to a completely different building about a mile away to isolate you from your vehicle. We have attended other time share presentations. Westgate village has raised high pressure sales to an art form. STAY AWAY!!! The discount for sitting through the presentation is simply not worth it. I could say more but I think you get the idea. If you go to this presentation, YOU WILL BE SORRY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
33  Thank SusanPun

Reviewed July 25, 2006

My family and I traveled to orlando in April 2006, we did not stay at
the westgate lakes resort we stayed at sunterra cypress pointe grand villas which was fantastic, clean, beds were comfortable-had a great trip. we did however attend the westgate 90 minute timeshare talk in order to receive 2 tickets to disney for $25, which for me and my family of six is a substantial savings. Well to start we had a 10:30 a.m. appt time and after my husband inquiring when we were next we were finally taken at 11:30a.m.
We were then taken to an overly crowded, very noisy room where a sales person tried to sell us on buying their timeshare, after repeatedly saying no our talk finally ended at about 1:30, which exceeds their 90 minute promise, so now we are 2hours behind
schedule. I'll be honest I did this to get my discounted tickets and that's all we wanted, well we then had to stand in line for 45 minutes to obtain our vouchers for our tickets. There were only 2 very rude, and very incompitent employees working. It was awful!!!! After I was in line for 35 minutes one of the employees totally let someone else cut in before me. Needless to say i finally got my tickets, however we did not get to magic kingdom that day until 3:00 p.m. , thanks Westgate Resort!!! Based on the service I received that day I would NEVER EVER stay at this resort, I don't care what kind of deal I could get it's not worth it and that day, those incompitent employees and their whole scam left a lasting impression on us!!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank iluvmigirls

Reviewed July 21, 2006

US:We are a family of 6. (2 +4kids). We stayed at the resort for 9 nights. We felt we got a terrific deal for the money. (under $500) This place was CLEAN and BIG!

ROOMS: We had this HUGE tub in the master bedroom, that all the kids swam in at night as the pool closed at 10. The rooms are set up like apartments, so just imagine a 2 bedroom apartment with all the emenities of home. There is a pretty lake from the back, but you can't swim in it.

THE LOCATION: We enjoyed the small pool, but it is nothing fancy. We never interacted with the employees or anything so I can't tell you anything about them, but the check-in was fast and we parked righ under our room each night and never had issues parking.
The resort is pretty and yet simple really, so not as fancy as most of them claim to be. We understood that there were activities each night, but we never made it to one in 9 nights as we had full days!

THE VIEW:
At night we watched the fireworks from epcot, that was truly awesome as they shadowed on the lake.

FOOD: We ate outside the park most of the time at the WDW resort locations as they all have inexpensive buffetts.
We stocked up on food at the local grocery store and that was a good idea as we had our breakfast and snacks out of the way.

OTHER THINGS TO DO:
By day 3 we had the route to WDW down. It is a short 15 minute drive, and also about the same time to get to Universal Islands of Adventure. Which being from the west coast was a thrill for us as it is nothing like our Universal park, it is so much better!
We drove to Cocoa beach (about 45min-1hour) and along the way passed this bridge right before you get to the beach tself and saw Dolphins jumping so we pulled over and watched that for an hour!

WEATHER:
HUMID!!!! HOT!!!! We have been out there several times of the year and Feb, was not as hot as July, but darn it was HUMID. We left Animal kingdom in only two hours as it was miserable with the weather.

THE TOUR:
We got a few calls about our tour we booked (which is why our rate was so low), asking for us to come ni early to view the resort , but we unplugged the phone on day two. When we did go through the tour I was a little upset at how pushy the salseman was and we left our kids in the playroom, where they fed them breakfast (which we found out was cereal), and then they took us in a golf cart around the property. We ended our tour at the main bldg. which was where we were staying and after we said NO< NO<NO.... they left us there and we had to get a shuttle back which we waited over 30 minutes for, so we could get the kids and our car. That PISSED ME OFF! but otherwise, all was good.

RETURN INFO:
Now we have scoped out several of the resorts for our next trip back there this December, and I must say nothing seems to rate as this one. All the other esorts complain about roaches, and that is just not something i am willing to chance sleeping with in order to get a nicer pool or more things offered. WE will return here for sure and hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank lasvegasairforcemom
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2015

Thank you so much for your feedback. We have updated our resort since you last came and hope to see you again!

Best regards,
Ariel

Reviewed July 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort for our 1st wedding anniversary from July 14-18. We payed $195.00 total which included 2 Universal Studio park tickets for 2 days at one park (we chose Island of Adventure/Spiderman is the best!) and Free City Walk Party Passes (all the clubs) including a package of other discounts, coupons, etc. Of course, this was a timeshare presentation for this type of money! However, we didnt mind the 90 min. presentation for the price we paid. We stayed in a Studio Suite that overlooked the lake and we LOVED the jacuzzi tub. The rooms are definitely larger than your standard hotel room and the refrigerator and free washer/dryer for laundry was definitely a convenience. We also enjoyed the screened patio (clean and no bugs)...If you have already read alot of reviews, you know the basics: all are true
Hard to find parking after dark.
The rundown property at the beginning of the resort isnt owned by Westgate yet.
No room service unless you are a owner.
New construction with 3-4 bedrooms and a waterpark coming soon!

Here are the most important tips I'd like to share: If you are thinking about buying a timeshare--do ALL your research first before you go! The salesman at Westgate is highly trained and will make you feel TERRIBLE if you dont buy. The 2 bedrooms are absolutely gorgeous and spacious for children &/or large families. I am a realtor in Michigan, and I even recommend calling your Realtor /Lawyer or timeshare expert right there at the table/to ensure you are not paying too much for it. FYI: you could also buy resale timeshares on your own...If you are not interested and no for sure you WILL NOT BUY...let the salesman know at the beginning of the presentation--& continuosly remind him--better yet let HIM KNOW when the 90 min. presentation is over. Our presentation took almost 5 hours because the brilliant salesperson we had--found other ways of manipulating conversation that we enjoyed talking about. He also gave us a good deal that was hard to refuse, but we already own a timeshare elsewhere and will be moving to florida soon. All in all, Westgate Lakes is a good property in a prime area. The owner Mr. Siegel is a mogul genius of Orlando and is about as prestigious as Disney. For the most part, the room served its purpose, we received free attractions that we enjoyed and it is centrally located near I-4 and International Drive. We wasnt expecting The Hyatt in hospitality for a timeshare resort. Therefore, everything is what you make it, enjoy each other and use your money on other attractions opposed to your room--afterall, you are only there to sleep and shower most of the time and it is definitely better than the corner roach motel for $59-79 a night....Make it a blessed vacation!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank KEMOZ

Reviewed July 19, 2006

They destroyed our whole vacation.
I made 2 night reservation in hotel.
( I was taking my guest from Canada & NY with me.)
But when we got there, we were transferred to another Hotel
with out ANY explanation.
I found that they did over booking .
I went back to " WELCOME CENTER" of Westgate Hotel,
I asked to manager what 's going on, because I made
reservation for that day and I made a phone call 5 days before to confirm my reservation.
MANAGER TOLD ME " WE ARE OUT OF CONTROLL"
So instead of giving us a 2 bed room with 3 bed + sofa bed,
+ all the things that they promised to provide for our stay,
what they did was transfer us to another hotel with out any
explanation & apology , THEY GAVE US 1 BED ROOM
INSTEAD OF 2BEDROOM. THEY PUT 9 PEOPLE IN 1 BED ROOM. THIS IS ABSOLUTERY AGAINST LAW !!
Ofcouse we didn't stay 2 night.
We left next day.
They demand to attend "HOTEL TOUR "
Why should I attend their tour, for me they stool
my money & time .
I got nothing from their promise. They lie to me .
They totally DESTROYED our vacation.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25  Thank chieko

Luna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1 mi away
#69 of 341 in Orlando
Westgate Palace Resort
Westgate Palace Resort
#182 of 341 in Orlando

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!