“Westgate Lakes is as good as it gets.”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #203 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 11, 2005

We just returned from 2 weeks of pure R&R at Westgate Lakes. We were there from Feb 20th thru March 6, 2005. We stayed in bldg 600 facing the Citrus Breeze pool. We have been going there for the past 4 years and can’t wait to go back in 2006 for our 5th year in a row.

One needs to take the negative reviews here with a grain of salt as the old saying goes. I don’t know if some people have unrealistic expectations or what but our experience there has been and continues to be excellent. We stayed in a 3BR unit. When we needed maintenance issues to be addressed they were addressed quickly (much faster than I could have had them addressed if back home). When we needed towels, we called and they were delivered to our unit in a few minutes. The staff was simply phonominal. When we wanted to have our bed linens changed in the middle of the week, they did so courteously and without charge. We change bed linens every week back home so twice in a week at Westgate Lakes was a pleasant experience for us.

In reading prior perceived negative posts I wondered if people were referring to the same place. There are several Westgate resorts in Orlando. I can’t speak for any but Westgate Lakes where we have been staying the past 4 years at the end of Feb and beginning of March. Our family loves it so we are planning on staying 3 weeks in 2006.

I have engaged many people (both owners and non-owners) at poolside over a drink and I have yet to encounter 1 person that had something negative to say about Westgate Lakes. When you add into the decision making process its location, this place is hard to beat. It is located geographically in the middle of the three major theme parks, Disney, Sea World and Universal. We watched Disney’s Magic Kingdom’s evening fireworks from the privacy of our screened lanaii. That is as excellent an Orlando location as one can ask for.

In summary, I would advise anyone planning on going to Westgate Lakes to take the negative reviews found here with a grain of salt so as to speak and make up your own minds. If all reviews were negative, that would be another story. It appears many people enjoy themselves there and others don’t. Maybe some people have unrealistic expectations which can’t be met. I don’t know. My advice is to make up your own mind. As for me and my family, we say if you choose to bypass staying at Westgate Lakes, you are missing out on a positive experience and making more room for us when we go there again next February. My entire family can’t wait till 2006 for another memorable R&R experience away from New England’s harsh February cold weather.

48  Thank frencheinme
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2015

Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

Luna

Write a ReviewReviews (5,810)

Reviewed March 10, 2005

After reading reviews from TripAdvisor, we were a bit leery of the resort. Unlike others, we booked directly on the resort's website and got a good AAA rate for a 2 bedroom unit. We were astonished at the size, it was literally a 2 bedroom condo. Big jacuzzi in the bedroom, everything was clean and functional. Living room had a large leather sofa and a 52" HDTV, and a full sound and video system for viewing DVD's (bring your own as they are expensive to rent). Also had a full size kitchen and washer/dryer, so no need to overpack. There was limited maid service, beds made and clean towels, but that was it. We did go on the "tour" and it was high pressure and 3-1/2 hours, not 90 minutes as promised. We did receive 3 tickets for the Pirates dinner show for our time. We didn't buy. Location to Disney/Sea World/Universal, I-Drive can't be beat. Only other downsides were parking, especially after dinner hours and the lack of sidewalks in many areas. If we could get a similar rate in the future, we would definitely book again, since our "villa" was far superior to a similarly priced hotel room.

• Stayed: March 2005
18  Thank Steve K

Reviewed March 6, 2005

Just got back from three nights here, booked for $60 through hotwire.

The Good - asked for a room far from interstate with a view, were put in the last building overlooking the lake. Good thing, since a lot of rooms seemed to overlook the parking lot. Also the entire facility is non-smoking, the room was clean with a little jacuzzi tub.

The Bad - no housekeeping service the entire time we were there, which we were not told about so my husband had thrown the towels on the floor thinking they would get swapped out. I asked about this at check-out and apparently you have to call for service. Paper thin walls, could hear our neighbors partying past 1:00 a.m. Also parking was bad, we came back late a couple times and people were parked in fire lanes.

The worst though was the aggressive nature of the time-share sales, at check-in we were told to go see a woman at a desk about how to get to our building, when there was a big map right in front of us. When she realized we weren't coming over to see her - she ran over and tried to push us into coming to free breakfast buffet for a "tour." We had to say no several times. I felt sorry for the people getting golf carted around and raked over the sales coals in plain site in the lobby.

The Ugly Duckling - a big drawback to staying on the lake was this psychotic duck that starting quacking nonstop around 6:30 a.m., we had to get up and put tissues in our ears.

Overall - decent, not a disaster but I probably won't go back.

• Stayed: March 2005
19  Thank KOC

Reviewed March 6, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Westgate the weekend of February18th 2005. I booked the room through Hotwire for only $60.00 a night. We were very pleased with our room. It was a small condo with a huge balcony overlooking the lake. The bathroom was huge with its own whirlpool garden tub. We were asked at check-in if we wanted to take the tour, but we declined and no one ever asked again. The resort was clean, the people were friendly and there are several pools, as well as, several activities throughout. The only downfall was parking late night. We enjoyed this resort and would book another vacation here.

11  Thank coachmonique

Reviewed March 6, 2005

If you want to stay in a beautiful suite with lots of space, then by all means stay at the Westgate. Just don't go on the timeshare tour. It's just not worth it.
My husband and I were very impressed with the grounds and suites of Westgate Lakes...until we took the tour and listened to the timeshare hardsell. They promise you a buffet breakfast, free tickets, and only 90 minutes of your time. So we figured why not. What we got was 1 free ticket, a lame breakfast of eggs and canned fruit salad (that unbeknowst to me you had to eat with your "tour guide" and almost 3 HOURS of our time.
All of that culminating into a hard sell by the sales manager trying to lay a guilt trip because my husband telling the guy that he wouldn't buy anything without seeing legal paperwork. The sales manager became so rude that it ruined my day.
If that's the way Westgate thinks it can gain timeshare owners than I think we'll pass.
By the way, we did see the flaws at Westgate. The showers were cold and the music by the pool too loud at night. The music runs to 11:00 at night whether anyones there or not. Get a suite away from the pool if you like quiet nights.
Westgate's a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to timeshare there!

23  Thank 55pamz

A TripAdvisor Member
Kentucky
Reviewed March 1, 2005

My husband I went to Westgate Lakes two years ago on a promotional deal and had not planned on buying into a timeshare. Once we arrived, the accomodations were excellent, everything was available on sight and the salesman was terrific. We enjoyed our first full week last year and it was wonderful to not have to worry about accomadations. All we had to do was arrive and enjoy ourselves. It is like a home away from home. If you like Florida, you will love Westgate and Orlando!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed February 28, 2005

Great place do not believe what you read. Went in December for Christmas with my kids.... was very nice. I was afraid to go as well because I read the reviews after I booked....not to worry! Very clean and people are fine.

6  Thank pjr959

Luna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
10 mi away
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Hyatt Regency Orlando
Hyatt Regency Orlando
#33 of 340 in Orlando

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!