“Don"t be fooled!! This greedy timeshare will ruin your vacation”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #202 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don"t be fooled!! This greedy timeshare will ruin your vacation”
Reviewed November 2, 2004

Understaffed and slow. No English. Loud noise all night long, including subwoofers from pimp my ride. Most pools are not operational. Rooms are very big and bed was comfortable. Watch for fraudulent billing. Carpets need to be shampooed. This is a two star, maybe one star facility and should be rented for about $40 a night, at tops. You probably would only want to stay here if you were only looking for a bed to sleep. Oh yea, there aren't enough parking spaces, so don't arrive too late!

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2015
Thank you for sharing your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,045)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2004

We were a party of four, that being two mature married couples. Due to flight bookings we changed through interval international from westgate lakes to westgate villas.
The westgate organisation build and want to sell timeshare, so if your package includes a "tour" then that's why you got it for so little money, so don't gripe.
As we were on an exchange of our time share in Tenerife, we did not have to morally oblige them on their hard sell chat. We looked at villas, lakes and towers, we think we were most fortunate in going to westgate villas rather than the others. so full marks villas. Except,that as we go to timeshare exchanges throughout the world and mostly get daily housekeeping.it was a shame this was nonexistant at this one.Also having taken valuable business documents with me I could have done with the room safe working from day one but it took a weekend and all day Monday to get through to the managment that I wanted it. Afraid a few of the employees would'nt last a day in my employment. Very nice apartment, very nice outlook, you do need a car.
Eating out can be gross and expensive in the area. All said and done, a good holiday.

4 Thank HIMANDHER
NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed October 28, 2004

I have just returned after spending 2 weeks at the resort. Just before going I read the reviews and must say that I was worried about some of the comments. I did not however share this with the other 3 in my party. I have to say that I cannot understand why peolple have complained so much (unless of course they enjoy this particular 'sport'). We all found the Westgate Resort to be great. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The accomodation was first class. The location could not be better and the facilities were perfect. I would have no hesitation about going back to the Resort nor would I have any hesitation recommending it to friends or anyone reading this.

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank NS-7
NJ
Reviewed October 25, 2004

We stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort for our first Florida vacation on Oct. 17 to 24, 2004 via a timeshare exchange using the San Francisco Exchange. Based on a few of the prior negative reviews, we were a bit worried about what to expect for our week there. Overall, we walked away pretty impressed and very satisfied with our stay.

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm (check-in time) and had to wait only about 10 minutes at the front desk before being helped out. Check-in was very smooth and the only detour was after being handed the plastic keys, I had to meet with a Westgate rep to go over the hotel offerings. Basically, this was an attempt to secure a "free breakfast meeting" to sell a timeshare. I declined the offer and there was no additional pressure. It helped that I was sick and coughing in his face while he was talking.

Parking was adequate although spaces near the elevator were tight during the morning and evening hours. Tough if you have to load/unload your car. The layout and roads leading to the various buildings can be somewhat confusing due to the limited number of entrances to the resort. You need to keep a parking pass in your car to provide access into the resort.

Our 1BR villa was more than we expected. It was basically a very nice spacious apartment where we had our own washer/dryer, full kitchen w/ full stove, fridge, dishwasher, dishes, microwave, breakfast area, minibar area, living room w/ big screen TV, L-shaped leather sofa (queen bed sofa) and screened-in porch. Our private bedroom had a king size bed with a very large jacuzzi tub, sitting area, stand in shower and private toilet room. I forgot to mention the second full bathroom w/ shower next to the kitchen for guests. Marble inlays in both bathrooms along w/ tile flooring through the apartment. Bedroom had decent carpeting. Unfortunately, we did not receive daily maid service so we had to hang dry our towels and wash what we needed during the week.

Overall, everything was very clean and we really enjoyed having all of the extra space that you don't get when you stay in a standard hotel room. Since I was sick, it was nice to be able to rest in a place where you didn't have to give up certain sacrifices while on vacation. My son loved being able to run around the villa and screened in porch without constant supervision on our part. As far as concerns about noise levels, we did not hear anything out of the ordinary during our entire stay. Since all of the balconies of the villas face inwards toward the lake, you can hear people talking on their balconies but it was never at a level that you could hear with the doors closed.

If we had to stay in Orlando again, without thinking twice we would plan another trip to the Westgate Lakes Resort.

For those who are reading all of the poor reviews, do realize that a portion of the resort is much older than what I am describing and they function more like a standard hotel room as far as amenities is concerned. These lower end rooms are that ones you see for $29/night on the internet so don't expect a fully equipped villa. They reserve the villas for timeshare owners and exchanges.

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank DCAU
Reviewed October 25, 2004

I have read the reviews about Westgate Lakes Resort and am wondering what happened during my visit and I went during Spring Break. My family and I enjoyed our stay there. The apartment was spacious and clean. We did have to have the television replaced in the 2nd bedroom (which was done in under an hour). With the kitchen being fully stocked (pots & pans, dishes, and eating utensils) it made the vacation more pleasureable. There's a shopping center within miles - we got the kids breakfast, easy to fix meals (for lunch) for the times that you spend there. There are plenty of restaurants in the area if you prefer eating out everyday. But there were days that we enjoyed the property and relaxed there. Never noisy @ night. I didn't have that experience at all. The staff was friendly and helpful. Infact we're going this Spring Break and I'll do another review on my stay there. Hopefully nothing has changed from one year to the next. I have recommended my family and friends and they've enjoyed themselves as well.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 20, 2004

As many times as I have been to Orlando. This one was the worst to date! Our air conditioner was broken most of the time, and they did nothing to fix it, there was alot of noise during the middle of the night from the surrounding area, and the staff was inconsiderate most of the time, except the consierge. I trust if you read this in time, like I should have done before I booked the hotel, you will find a better place to stay!

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 18, 2004

We were worried after reading some reports, but overall our stay was good. We used a timeshare getaway from my husband's parents and had no problems checking in around 6 p.m. The first room was a little older but had a bad odor. After an hour they moved us to another room but were not quite as helpful as the first check-in. We had a very nice 2 bedroom villa. We had an ambassador assigned to us if we needed anything. We purchased our Disney tickets before our trip and told our ambassador, Angelica, that we did not want to attend a timeshare presentation. We did have a review of our stay with her, but it only lasted 20 minutes. Overall, the value was worth it. There is no housekeeping service at this resort, you have to ask for towels and put both your dirty towels and trash out for pick-up.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
#20 of 336 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,547 reviews
Caribe Royale Orlando Suites & Villas
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!