“Nice Timeshare Swap”

Ranked #202 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
West Virginia
“Nice Timeshare Swap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort through an Interval exchange the week before Easter and we enjoyed our accommodations. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath unit which had a nice view of the lake on which the property resides. The frogs were in full chorus each evening which made for some nice time on the patio / balcony which was pretty large. The only drawbacks were that there was a fair amount of road noise from I-4 and the cigarette smoke from the patio below us.

The staff was very friendly and quick to answer any questions we had. The only issue we had with them is that the timeshare push was a little too much. As soon as we received our room keys, we were ushered to another desk where we were informed that some free gifts awaited us - a couple boxes of cookies. We were then told that we - as VIP guests - had other free gifts and perks awaiting us at a free breakfast the next morning. Before I had time to stop her, my wife had taken $20 cash out of here purse and gave it to the rep as a "deposit". Why did we need to give the deposit considering we were getting what we as VIP guests had coming to us? Of course this was part of the timeshare sales agenda and we fell for it. I will say that we canceled our appointment for breakfast and the resort returned our $20 which I thought would be forfeited, so we appreciated this.

The location is very close to Universal Studios and many nice restaurants and shopping. It is also only about a 15 or 20 minute drive to the Disney theme parks so it will serve nicely as a base of operation to enjoy all that Orlando has to offer. We would stay here again if the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: Some rooms have patios which overlook the pool areas. We wanted to avoid this so I asked for a room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your response. We’re glad to hear that our staff was friendly and courteous. Our staff works hard to exceed all our guests’ expectations. We are a timeshare resort and we do offer our guests to participate in our timeshare presentation. Participating is purely voluntary and in return for their time, we do provide different gifts and incentives. We apologize if you felt pressure in any way. We’re glad you enjoyed our convenient location. As you mentioned, we are located around major attractions such as Disney, Universal Studios, different shopping centers and restaurants. We feel honored that you would return and look forward to having you back soon!

Idalise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We are owners at the resort for about 15 years. We owned a three bedroom every other year, and upgraded to every year in 2013. There is quite an initial investment, and then a substantial yearly maintenance fee. But, it is roomy, and clean, and well-stocked. There are seven swimming pools with hot tubs. There are busy, party-atmosphere pool areas with bars, and there are quiet pools for those who prefer that. There are plenty of activities for the kids and teens. There is flexibility of using a three bedroom, a two bedroom, or a studio. The linens are upgraded. The grounds are well-maintained. It may not be cheap accomodations, but we always know what to expect. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your review. We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities such as our seven pools and hot tubs. We strive hard to provide an ultimate vacation for all of our guests. We hope you come back and visit us soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Before I started writng this review I read many others and was shocked. It's amazing to read that someone had a bad experience at Westgate. I own at WLRS and have stayed 3 times so far and all 3 times were 4-5 star accommodations. Admittedly I hated the pressure to buy but now that I own, I don't have to go through that anymore. I stayed for spring break, the week of April 13, 2014 for 7 days. My family and I had a wonderful time. I have to admit that I really liked the fact that I didn't hear a knock at my door every morning saying room service. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10, it would be an 11. I was in building 1900 with an A and B unit (I own a 3 bdrm but loved this set up better for my needs on this trip). Both rooms were clean. The linen fresh, etc. If I had a complaint it would be that after 10 pm the parking was bad. You will have to park a distance away and walk. Big deal. Everyone needs the exercise. If you have bags, drop them off at the door and go park. Other than that I highly recommend Westgage. I always check my room before I confirm I'm staying in it just in case there is something wrong with it. To hear someone say their room had roaches is simply unbelievable. This is a hotel/resort-duh. Don't expect that every experience will be pleasant when you are staying in a lodging area visited by a million people a year. A good experience for everyone is not possible.

Room Tip: If you are a TV junkie you will be very disappointed. There are very few channels of television to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
We value and appreciate your feedback! We feel honored to have an owner who is truly happy with our resort. We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed our accommodations. We love to hear kind words such as yours. We are always looking for ways to make our guests have an ultimate vacation and make them feel like they are at “home away from home”. We love forward to provide you with many vacation memories to come!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

So when we booked this resort, we were expecting a 4 star resort as it says on the tin. However the only 4 star it gets is for the reception area, beyond that it really struggles.
The only good thing is the location, as its well placed for Universal and Seaworld.

After travelling for hours we checked in at reception, we were given our keys and then the annoying part. They try to sell you theme park tickets and worst of all convince you to have a free breakfast, buy sitting in a 90 presentation. ! We luckily dodged the bullet, as we found this is a timeshare selling con, where 90 minutes will drag into 4 hours!!! with pushy sales people at your throat.

When we finally got to our 4 bedroom villa, the rooms are standard, uncleaned and struggle to make it to 4 stars. Even when they are cleaned everyday they are not up to scratch. We found all 4 showers were faulty, and it took numerous calls and a day to get a handyman to come and repair them.

The staff are not friendly and unhelpful, it seems they are forced to work here. The marketplace shop in the resort is well overpriced, so head over to walmart 1km away and shop there.

Although there are many pools, there are no lifeguards on duty. The pools were unclean, and surroundings could do with a good scrub. They also had a tendency to play music all day long which is annoying.

We found our room keys not working after a late night out, we called reception after holding for eternity, and waited and waited. After half an hour we had to visit reception, where we were given blank expressions, as they did not have a clue. Long story short another half hour went by , a few kicks on the doors and they opened!

I would not return or recommend this place to anyone. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!
1 Thank hirani1
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
We value and appreciate your feedback. We understand you had several issues during your stay. As a timeshare resort, we ask our guests to participate in our timeshare presentation. Participating is purely voluntary and in exchange for their time we provide them with different gifts and incentives. We apologize if you encountered issues with the cleanliness of our unit. We make cleanliness our top priority and that issues you mentioned falls below our standards. Your issues will be forwarded to management as we’re always looking to provide our guests to a better stay. We hope you allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Pleasanton, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

There are two rooms per outside door ie: 121a and 121b. On the outside there is a door that says 121, it is not clear that if you lock the door from the inside the other party cannot unlock the door. We got locked out the first two nights and security took over an hour to assist us on both occasions. When this was brought up to guest services he explained that it wasn't their fault and did not apologize. The employees were not all there. We'll physically, yes but we missed our shuttle because we asked I assume the wrong employee if that was the shuttle we needed he responded with a simple "no". We then walked up to the front desk, asked when the shuttle we needed would be there and they said it's leaving now. Again, vp of guest services took no responsibility and the possibility for a free shuttle turned into a 30$ taxi ride and because we were explaining our situation to the vp of guest services we ended up missing an hour of park time so we couldn't get our full disneyworld experience. I'll admit that the lady that brought us towels was always sweet and Steven, the guy who drove the cart for me to my room on the same trip was a wonderful person and had amazing customer service. Maybe they should teach their vp of guest services a thing or two about how to keep guests happy. I just hope this chain realizes that good reviews are taken with a grain of salt but bad reviews travel 10x faster and I will be telling everyone I know about my experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jenjennnss
Thank you so much for your feedback. We understand you had issues during your stay. Allow us to apologize if a staff member was less than courteous. We do provide complimentary shuttle service to major theme parks (Sea World, Epcot Center, and Universal Studios) in the Orlando area. We do advise our guests to pre-register at the VIP conceirge for the shuttle service due to limited seating. Please know that even though you experienced issues during your stay we are always looking for ways to provide our guests with a better stay. We’re glad to hear that our housekeeping and bell staff was able to assist you. We hope you allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Husband and I travel all over the world and we really enjoyed this resort. Have nothing bad at all to say about it so ignore the people who reviewed it poorly. We ended up buying a timeshare here because it was a great deal and all the travel perks worked for us because we travel so much, it was worth it. Never once during the presentation did we ever feel pressured. Went to a hilton timeshare presentation before and felt like they were not going to let us leave unless we bought, thank god we did not! Very happy to be a westgate owner now and cant wait to stay at this resort again when we travel back to Orlando

Room Tip: ask if there are any rooms in the 100 building as it is the newest one built
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank moonshark7
Thank you so much for your sharing your response. We feel honored to have you as new Westgate owners! We’re glad you enjoyed you previous stay with us. We look forward to having you back for many vacation memories to come!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

My family and I recently stayed at Westgate for our Universal Studios Vacation and I was pretty disappointed. It seems that Westgate is so preoccupied with their sales pitch, that it leaves little or no room for regular guest to be accommodated appropriately. The staff seems very unaware of basic knowledge of theme parks, or what kind of passes grant you you access to what. They are in the hub of major parks, so in my opinion that's pretty unacceptable. We were at Westgate for 5 days and only received housekeeping 1 day, and only after calling for service prior to us leaving. Upon returning to our villa which had still not been serviced. We had to call 2 more times and we finally received housekeeping from a crew with nasty attitudes telling us it was only a few people working. I'm sorry but after I've spent thousands of dollars at your establishment, I don't care about why your cleaning staff has a shortage. Basic accommodations like the gym have to be paid for unless you are an owner. I would research other resorts when we return to Universal next vacation.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shana K
Thank you very much for your response. Your feedback will be used for training and development purposes to help improve the overall service that we provide to our guests. We take pride in our exceptional service and will work with them to improve going forward. Please understand that our housekeeping staff works diligently and efficiently to clean all of our units in a timely manner. We care about all owners and guests and hope that you will give us another chance at providing you with a wonderful stay!

Idalise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
#23 of 335 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,480 reviews
Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!