My husband and I exchanged our timeshare into this resort. I am not sure if people who are not timeshare owners get different accommodations, I did hear something to this effect.
After I exchanged, I saw some REALLY great reviews and some REALLY awful reviews here. So I called the property and told them that I was nervous about the reviews, and they put us into a renovated room.
Positives: This place is absolutely gorgeous! It is right on a lake, the units have patios or balconies, and there is so much to do. We took time to rent bikes, play mini golf, go paddleboating, and visited the activities center for crafts with the 10 year old we borrowed for Disney (he went home with lots of GREAT memories!). There are 7 pools on property, some with bars (depends on time of year whether bars are open or not). We had 2 minor issues when we had to call housekeeping and they were very fast. The hotel staff was always very helpful and curteous. There are shuttles to Disney, Universal, and Sea World that save you daily parking fees ($15 at Disney, $22 at Universal). A Disney rep is right on property and there are people to help you with park tickets. If you do the timeshare tour, you can get discount Disney and Universal tickets, plus a card to use all the amenities on the resort grounds for free. There are a restaurant and a convenience store onsite. Of course the store is pricey and they only have name brand items, but when both my hubby and I were too sick to go out we were grateful that we only had to pay $5 extra to have the store deliver meds. There is even a Starbucks in the main building! The unit itself was a very nice size and had all the amenities you expect from a timeshare. The kitchen really helped us save money as we packed lunches and snacks in a backpack when we went to the parks and ate in the unit at night. We had a very comfortable stay and the location was very convenient. Oh, and this is a pet-friendly resort. (We had intended to bring the dog but changed our minds when we invited the 10yo to go to Disney with us- it would have cost us over $200 for the pet fee at the resort, then when we went to the theme parks we would have had to board her outside the Disney gate for $35/day.)
Negatives: One of our biggest peeves was that a place this size does not recycle! It killed me to throw out so much in the trash. We also were not thrilled with the internet fees. They are $9.99 per day, but if you get a week, they charge you $39.99 (also a 3 day option). That is quite high- I think most places charge $2 per day if they charge at all. AND- you can only use one device at a time! That is ridiculous! You can't use the internet in the bedrooms as there is extra fireproofing, and the signal is spotty in the rest of the unit. We also did find a roach on the first day, so I called and they sent someone out to spray immediately. Found one the next day. Then at the end of the 2nd week we spotted another. I saw reviews on here with bugs. It's actually quite easy to see that the roaches can get under the door rather easily as there isn't a seal between the door and the doorjam. The small towels drove me crazy- both bath and beach towels. For a resort this size, I was surprised at the limited selection of TV channels. While it was GREAT to have the shuttles available, they sometimes were not the most convenient. There were 3 to each park in the morning and 3 from each park at night. The ones to Universal were great. But the first one out of Disney (the stop is actually at Epcot, you have to transfer to go to any of the other parks) was 7:30pm- and Animal Kingdom closed at 5pm. Perhaps when it is busier there are more shuttle choices. We did make it work, which saved us $15 per day, just not the most convenient. And I had a huge issue with the timeshare tour- that was supposed to last 90 minutes but lasted 3 hours! We were led to believe that people who exchanged didn't get a full tour, but that was not the case- we were just being shown the property at 90 minutes!
Overall, we were satisfied with this resort. We would stay here again, but we'd do a few things differently if we come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa in Orlando, Florida, provides guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home! All villas are non-smoking and range from Studio Villas with kitchenette and large jetted tub that sleep 4 to spacious Four-Bedroom Villas with full kitchen plus two kitchenettes that sleep up to 16, all within minutes of Orlando's world-class theme parks and tourist attractions. With scheduled shuttle service to Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and the Orlando Premium Outlets, 7 pools, full service Serenity Spa, Marketplace, Smokehouse Grill restaurant, Sid's Bistro serving Starbucks, extensive Activities program and lakefront Marina there is sure to be something for everyone. Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa is also pet friendly, allowing one pet under 60 lbs (fees apply). Come enjoy your Orlando vacation in comfort at the Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Vacatia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Lake Resort Spa
- Westgate Resort Orlando
- Westgate Lakes Florida
- Westgate Lakes Hotel Orlando
- Westgate Lake Resort Orlando
- Westgate Hotel Orlando
- Westgate Lakes Orlando