“I expected more”

Ranked #205 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Hinesville, Georgia
“I expected more”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked this to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary and got an awesome deal with tickets to epcot if we would do the 90 min tour. When we got here the checking was not bad at all and the staff was excellent. Loved that they took us all the way to our room which we booked a studio because it had a jetted tub. When we entered our room we were in shock that it do not equal to a 5 star resort. We had an RCA tv no flat screen and the DVD player was so tiny and outdated. The studio looked more like a regular hotel room. We did enjoy the jetted tub though. The parking was horrible. At night if you don't get back early get ready to walk a bit to your room. We were in the 1300 building and had to park by the 900. We wanted to get in the pool at night thinking it wouldn't be packed but it was always full of children till late so we skipped out on that. The view from our room was nice and loved that there is a Starbucks on the property. As far as the 90 min tour it's not as bad as people put it. We were done by 1030 and did not fall into buying one. Only thing was they are pushy and at the end they called my husband basically cheap and crumbled the papers which we thought was funny. My husband said he wouldn't stay again I say I would.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ricangen81
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you were able to enjoy our jetted tubs and our Starbucks on the property. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. During times of high occupancy, our parking situation sometimes can be challenging. Please accept our apologies if you were inconvenienced. If available, our employees would be glad to give you a ride on their golf cart. We take all of our guests’ comments into consideration as we are always looking for areas to improve. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
orlando
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite. The place is spacious and ideal for large group. Our room faced the pool as requested. If you don't mind the noise. We have little kids so we didn't care. They hacker shuttles to theme parks. What they didn't mention is that only shuttle to Epcot then you have to catch another bus to the park of choice. If you miss one bus you got to wait for the next one. Unfortunately we misses the 8:45pm bus and had to catch the last bus which was 10:35pm. Love that the facility has 7 pools. We didn't go to other pools so I couldn't rate the pools. The coral reef pool was clean and I did have issue finding a place to sit. One the first day here, we were asked join them for lunch to hear a sales pitch. We told them we all ready have one and not interested. They said they were informed but in order to give us our VIP gifts we just need to show up. We went to the free lunch and prepare to hear a quick presentation. Our person had no interest in making his speech but instead he yawned was answering his texts. If I were to rate him he would get a 1 from me, that was being generous. Our fitted sheet on our bed didn't fit. Our living didn't have a remote control. Our dishwasher was dirty. Our family decided we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Request your room ahead of time.
1 Thank hvn_zville
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. All of our guests’ comments are appreciated, as we are always researching areas to improve upon in order to provide out guests with the quality vacation experience. Our goal is to exceed your expectations and we hope that you will visit us again soon.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

my review would have been tremendous until the sales presentation. Pros: the resorts had a variety of daily activities for children. my 12 yr old son accompanied me and the wife. our accommodations were modest considering i stayed in the most recent renovation (Bldg 80). work was still needed around shower area. cons or con: the sales person (perpetrating friendliness) became very rude after we declined his sales pitch, he told me and my wife that we did not qualify any way. i guess the jerk forgot that no credit check was needed in the first place. he became irate and told us that we had to continue the presentation by taking a tour of the property or we would be charged in full for the room. Please beware!!!!

Room Tip: beware of sales presenation
1 Thank jaylbrown
Thank you for your review. Thank you for letting us know what we are exceling in and some areas that need work. We apologize if a member of our sales team made you uncomfortable-that is not our intent. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we will work to ensure this does not happen again. It is our hope to have another opportunity to provide you with a relaxing stay.
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this property through Hotwire to share with my youngest daughter and her two small children. We met in Orlando to be near another daughter's family that was staying at one of the Disney resorts. My Hotwire search was for four-star properties, so when this condo listing came up stating it was offered on "other sites" at $249/night I was intrigued. I took the risk and booked it, but immediately became skeptical when I read many mixed reviews. I called the resort only to learn I had reserved a "studio condo." I had never heard of such a thing and found out that it was equipped with a microwave, sink and mini-fridge rather than a full kitchen which is what I expected in a vacation condo rental.

When I checked in on July 4th, the front desk area was very noisy and full of commotion. Realizing it was because of the continual time-share tours and the accompanying incentives being issued in the same area, I made it a point to tell the employee who checked me in that we would not be "touring" the property and would tolerate no pressure to do so. I also inquired what the walk-in price for my studio condo unit would be. He told me it would be $97. Suddenly the Hotwire price of $80 per night plus the $10 per night resort fee didn't seem like much of a deal.

The elevators and the areas near them (ice machine and laundry) were dimly lit and very warm. There were regular washers and dryers near the elevators that appeared to be free for guests to use.

The unit itself had a somewhat peculiar layout with the noisy jetted tub in the center of the 500 square foot unit. The tub was sandwiched between the back wall and the mini-kitchen. The only interior door was to afford privacy in the commode/shower room at one end of the space opposite the balcony. The vanity area was adequate, the king-size bed was comfortable, and the balcony was a decent size. Due to the large mirrors on the back wall over the king-size bed, the vanity and the jetted tub, the space appeared larger than it was. We made do with the sparsely equipped mini-kitchen, but were disappointed that there was not much cabinet or counter space and no stove. The mini-fridge had very limited freezer capacity which made it difficult to stock the cooler I had brought along to make healthy snacks available to my five young grandchildren at the Disney pools.

The condo's flat-screen TV was housed in an outdated, but functional wall unit that contained a small armoire space. There was no closet, but there was a handy safe. The TV remote needed to be reprogrammed upon my arrival, but an employee came up within a reasonable amount of time on the first night to take care of that. The fold-out vinyl couch was ok for the kids, but I would not have slept on it. There was a small balcony with a couple of lounge chairs and a table with a couple of chairs.

Surprisingly, there was daily housekeeping and linen service which is not common in the vacation condo universe. The maids did a good job of general cleaning and removing dozens of little handprints on the large mirrors.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of noise well into the night and even though we were on the third floor with all the doors closed and A/C running, we could still hear traffic, sirens and voices well into the night. One morning, we stepped out onto the balcony to gather swimsuits we put out to dry only to overhear a telephone conversation from one of the nearby balconies above us as clearly as if the person speaking had been right next to us. The people staying in the other unit of our 2-unit "lock-off" were not very considerate when it came to keeping voices down in the tiled vestibule when coming and going late at night. When I noticed the only light in that shared vestibule had burned out on the final night of our stay, I reported it to the front desk, but when we checked out the next day, it had not yet been replaced. Inside our room, we could also hear noises coming from other units that sounded plumbing-related at various times of the day and night.

Overall, it was just an ok place with free parking to stay for a few nights. Being surrounded by so many rude guests, we had no desire to explore any of the seven pools on the property. Each day, my daughter let me know she was disappointed. The morning of our check-out, there were hundreds of bees swarming between the building and the parking lot. We managed to load our vehicles without getting stung, but that was not a good final image!

I have since called Hotwire to let them know I considered their advertising misleading. I don't plan to return to this Westgate resort.

Room Tip: Staying on the higher floors will help minimize the street noise.
4 Thank MzElaineous
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we now have to offer.
Best regards,
Ray
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I went to Orlando for our Anniversary/ Honeymoon in June 2012.
We loved this resort. It was clean and quiet and the staff is super friendly. They provide hourly shuttles to place all around Orlando even the Wal-Mart down the road.
We had a single a bedroom suite with a jacuzzi tub.
They have activities going on daily by the pools and others. The resort has a mini golf course, small lake where you can rent a panton, row boat or paddle boat and go fishing. They have bicycles you can rent for the day and ride around the resort, DIVE-in movies at one of the pools, and a little shop.
We really recommend this resort to anyone spending about a week in Orlando. It's not in the middle of town but close to almost everything.

Room Tip: We totally recommend a room towards the main road. You can see a lot of the city and the city lights...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We love to receive reviews where our guests had a great time at Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa! It is good to know you were able to enjoy the hotel shuttle and many of our other resort amenities. We definitely strive to provide the best amenities and having lots of fun things for our guests to do. Thanks for trusting us with your vacation; we hope we will be on your mind next time you are in town!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This resort was a timeshare exchange for me and I have stayed here before.
The grounds are beautiful with many pools to choose from and activities for the kids.
My ONLY complaint is the pans and utensils they have in the units. The pans are awful, in fact I went to Walmart and purchased a griddle for use during my stay. There is never enough silver ware and no baking sheets(I wanted to make cookies for the kids).
There is a huge, over crowded Walmart right down the street.
If you stay here and are able I recommend bringing your own cookware.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help, we hope that you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
Gourock, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great place to stay close proximity to all main parks. I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, very spacious both rooms en suite with shower. Master bedroom also had sunken bath with jacuzzi. Livingroom had large leather couch with folded into a double bedroom, kitchen had all appliances available for self catering if required (Walmart just down the road). We had a 6th floor room with balcony overlooking the lake, very picturesque and at night able to see fireworks from Disney and Seaworld. With 7 different pools to suit different tastes, this place would suit all families, friends and couples of all age groups. Lots on within the resort to keep you amused if you didn't want to venture to parks. Free bus available to most parks, maid service good, my only disappointment was that a resort as big as this would have provided wi-fi free of charge

Room Tip: Try for a room at the back and already refurbished, it's quieter and views overlooking the lake
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. We are proud to offer Wi-Fi on property. This service is free to all of our owners, but is still accessible to all other guests for a fee which can be settled at the front desk. We apologize if this caused any inconvenience during your stay. We hope that this will not prevent you from staying with us once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!