“Do not stay here”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #204 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had high hopes for this resort, given the beautiful pictures on the website and that it's technically considered a 4-star resort. After a long day at Universal I was looking forward to relaxing with my family with some room service in a nice room. Check-in wasn't that bad however I did wait about 20-30 min in line and then was forced to listen to a guy try to get me to sign up for their time share presentation. We drove to our room and first thing we noticed is that there is NOT enough parking. Parking is a huge problem. We get to our room and open the door and I wanted to cry. It was like stepping into 1980 miami vice...everything was old and dingey. The shower door actually had black mold growing on it. The room smelled like lysol. I thought we were getting a nice condo with enough beds for my family of four. The kids had to sleep on an old leather green pullout couch...the couch must've been 25 years old at least. I tried to call the front desk to complain and nobody answered. I called several times and the phone just kept ringing. I then tried to call for room service and nobody answered there either. I had to call at least 5 times before somebody picked up and they said it would be an hour for food. We then had to go pick-up food and risk losing our precious parking spot. The second night we were there, we were about to fall asleep and all of sudden our room filled with the smell of fried onions and garlic. It was literally coming in through the vents...a neighbor must've been cooking. At check-out I complained to the front desk about the mold in the shower...the girl just looked at me, ignored my comment and told me I was all-set. We would never recommend this place to anyone and would never stay here again. The pictures you see on the internet ARE NOT what you will get.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ellyn101
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We apologize if you were not pleased with your accommodations and our resort. Your comments will be shared with our management team so they can address the issues you brought to our attention. Positive or negative, our guests' comments are of the utmost value to us so we know how we are graded. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I am an owner at westgate resorts in Florida. STAY AWAY from these people, they are a rip off. They offer you things and they are NOT free. Once they have you wheel it's over. Maintenance and taxes goes UP every year, customer relations are the worse people to deal with. They NEVER live up to what they say. The resorts are all dirty, moldy, nasty and they do not clean the rooms property. This resort is not even worth owning or staying at. I regret spending my good earned money with these people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Diana A

Thank you for you feedback on your trip to Westgate Resorts. As an owner, your opinions are very important to us and we are sorry you feel the way you do. Your comments will be passed on to our management team to review. Once again, thank you for your response.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We are here for a week. When we arrived we couldn't check in. It took them two hours to get a room/villa us and it was old dirty and dusty. "We will call in 15-20 min" i complain. "Inspection just about done we will call in 15 min". Two hours! Talked with every dept, lots of empty promises not until I called our time share company did anything get done. Wi-Fi is always at maximum and can't be used. Staying in a two star hotel would be better. Do not buy a time share here! Rooms are 1st come first serve. People mob in at 4:00 to get the best rooms. Don't exchange for here! Much better options very close. I warned you! Call any dept and you will be on hold untill you get tired of waiting and hang up. Run away!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Molar13

Thank you for your comments about your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations when staying with us. Due to high occupancy, we can not always check guests into their villas prior to check in at 4:00 PM. We will do everything possible to get them checked in, but sometimes it is just not possible, and we apologize if this was the case. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed by our management team so they are aware of your feedback.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in a studio apartment. The room was flawless! The king bed is bigger than any bed I've seen and was so comfortable! The check in was very quick and the staff were very helpful and recommended a few restaurants for Thanksgiving. The view from our balcony was breath taking. Finding a parking space was a little difficult on Thanksgiving but we easily found spaces all other days,

The location is perfect, right next to international drive and very close to the parks, shops and all other attractions

The one fault I should mention is the 14usd per day resort fee which I though was pretty steep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma M

Thank you for sharing your Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa vacation with us. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and knowing you found the villa flawless is great to know. Our team takes a lot of pride in providing a great vacation experience and we are very pleased you enjoyed our resort. It was nice to read you found your way around the Orlando area easy due to our great location. On behalf of the entire Westgate Lakes Team, we thank you for staying with us and hope to have you visit again very soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

When we arrived the front lobby was packed with people trying to check-in, but the resort had enough staff to accommodate the guess and we was on our way to our room in less then 5minutes.(no joke, I was impressed by the speedy & courtesy service.) We stayed in the 1100 building "studio" which was a nice size room, king size bed (comfortable), inside bathroom nice size walk in shower great for 2 people, the whirlpool/hot tub it was next to shower which wasn't a problem and the toilet was in a small separate room inside the bathroom by it self( I really liked that the toilet was in a separate room because if u where soaking in the hot tub u didn't have to get out cause your partner needed to use the toilet). the entire room was clean, fresh,& everything worked. The only problem we had with our stay was that the resort doesn't have enough parking space, it seemed like we couldn't find parking spaces near our building or not at all. My overall experience was great & yes we would stay at westgate resort again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your response about your vacation to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We were pleased to read your check in went quick and efficiently. In addition, we were happy you enjoyed your accommodations and the amenities of the villa. As with all of Orlando, we have been very busy in March, which creates parking issues when we get this busy. However, we are sorry for any parking challenges. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you back again in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This place was amazing. I was kind of scared when I booked because of the price, but I researched it and went with it. When we arrived it was a late check in late as in almost 9 pm. Hubby went in to check us in, and came out with goodies and explanations of all the cool stuff there is to do and what is available. Then when we park to my surprise there was a valet to escort us to our room and help us unload our luggage. I definitely want to return when we aren't using the hotel pretty much just to sleep since we were taking the boys to their Disney vacation.

Room Tip: if your staying with children or extra family members make sure you book a deluxe studio or villa
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your trip to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We were very pleased to know you took advantage of our team members and the service we provide. With all the activities, seven pools, and marina, there is always something taking place and fun for the entire family. Please come back and enjoy our resort the next time you visit Orlando, Florida!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was a very clean place, and had a lot of activities to make sure you were never bored. The people were all friendly, and the room was amazing! It was basically a mini apartment. With 7 pools, it was always easy to find one, and they were all heated as well which was awesome!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emeregencyx0x

Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure to provide you an amazing stay, as you stated. Thank you for recognizing our team members as being friendly-this is very important to us. Knowing you enjoyed all our pools and your villa is important as well. Once again, thank you for sharing your stay. We hope to see you return in the very near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Avanti International Resort
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Grande Vista
#66 of 341 in Orlando

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!