“Horrible Hotel Experience Ever”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #202 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Nashville
“Horrible Hotel Experience Ever”
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I will just list a few of the many things that went wrong:

Bugs in the room (in which they did not come spray for),

Limited parking spaces (shuttle was offered via golf carts, but the workers were to busy playing golf cart games to assist),

Door lock to lanai was broken,

Awful smell along with a smoke smell

The list can go on and on. To top it off, the staff was unfriendly and not very helpful!!

Beware of this place. If they offer you a room\condo for $10 per night, it is not worth it!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tmister4
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since you last stayed with us. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Luna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We did not stay at the resort but attended the timeshare presentation in order to get discounted Disney tickets (advertised on a billboard on the side of I-75). Anyway, it was a horrible experience. They salespeople were very unprofessional and downright rude when they discovered that we were not going to buy. I can honestly say it was one of the worst experiences I've had. It definitely wasn't worth a free Disney ticket. They also held us captive for over 3 hours, not the promised 90 mins. When I questioned them about this after 2 hours, he said "it doesn't say 90 mins. anywhere, it says 'about' 90 mins." Don't do it -- you will regret it!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank amyinohio
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2015
Thank you so much for your feedback. We have updated our resort since you last came and hope to see you again!

Best regards,
Ariel
Eastchester, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We just came back from spending 10 days at the Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa and I had to write about what a scam this place is. We usually stay at a Universal Hotel or a Hotel on Disney property, but since we have three young children, we thought we'd try out a condo this time around - what a mistake, I would take the luxury of any hotel any day after this horrible experience. We had noticed the Westgate last year while in Florida and thought we would try it for this year. Well, we booked online at a very cheap rate also knowing that we had to attend a mandatory "90 minute" tour of the property (the fine print says that an extra $100 a night will be charged if you don't go). Upon entering the front lobby you can't help but notice that it is one big hustle and bustle of sales people rushing around trying to get a sale. It looks old and does not have a fresh look to it. You never get a genuine feeling of being surrounded by the magic of Disney and Universal like we have experienced before. Once we got to our room, we were not happy to find that the room that our children would be sleeping in would be completely separate (kind of like a separate apartment), so we had to keep the door open with a toaster (the only thing that would keep the door open) because it was so far from our actual room. Our master bedroom had a gigantic,gaudy jacuzzi and a misplaced shower right in the bedroom, out in the open. Okay, all seemed well, until none of the coffee makers worked in the master kitchen or the little kitchenette in the kid's room. The refrigerator broke down every other day (yes this is the absolutely truth) despite maintenance coming in to try to fix it. There was absolutely no house cleaning for the 10 days that we were there (they never told us that when we booked), despite calls to a front desk that never picked up their phone and when they did, they kept promising someone would come and they never did. Nothing like spending a full day at the parks then having to come back and clean up the room yourself. There's nothing like coming back to a nice cleaned room when you are on vacation -- it seemed as if you weren't an owner you had absolutely no right to anything. We had to call numerous times just to get more toilet paper!!! Not to mention the fact that we had to wash our own towels, make the beds, sweep and wash the floors, throw out the garbage! Hey, I'm on vacation!!! I did not want to do this!!! We went to the pool twice. The second day, my husband took the kids to the pool (I stayed behind because I had to clean, because with three kids, I had no choice!) -- our 11 year old daughter refused to go back into the water because as she put it, it was GROSS - cups in the pool and the water was dirty. On the last day (Sat.) the last day to sleep in late, we had to DRAG THE KIDS UP AT 7:30 AM!!! to meet with a representive. This did NOT take 90 minutes!!! It was more like 3 hours!! We casually mentioned to our representative that we did not get any housecleaning and he did mumble something about how the housecleaners are outside contractors, and that we are not owners, bla bla bla. We were under tremendous pressure to make a decision but at the end we said that we would call them back to let them know (we never did). Our decision: ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. If they are trying to lure potential buyers of their timeshares, they sure are going about it the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Washer and dryer
  • Disliked — shabby treatment
3 Thank mardango

Georgia
Reviewed March 27, 2008

After getting what we thought would be a great deal, my fiance and I decided to book a studio room at this resort. We arrived to check in and they made us wait in two different lines before sending us off to look for a man in a yellow shirt to help us find our room. We finally found the right man in the yellow shirt and he brought us to our room. We walked in and noticed the rooms were alot nicer in the pictures. It wasn't the worst room ever, but not what we expected. It also had a musty smell to it.
The parking was terrible here! By nighttime, there is no spots near your room and you have to park far away. Also, don't expect to sleep in. By 7 am, I woke up to loud leave blowers and other strange sounds.
The day of our timeshare tour was the worst!!!! Don't expect for it to be 90 minutes. It's more like 3 hours. When we walked in the lady behind the check in counter asked our name, and how much we made. After telling her, she laughed in our face! We then had to wait on our guide. Then, twenty minutes later, our guide introduces herself then tells us to go grab lunch. Another twenty min later, she asked us the same questions over and over again like we were lying to her.
After seeing the condo, then the cost, we declined the offer of becoming owners there. We were then met by the next man in line to hassel us. After declining his offer, he accused us of not having money, and threatened to pull up our personal info. He was extremely rude to us and really made us feel like dirt. By the way, we didn't lie about our income, and we already own a timeshare elsewhere. Based on our other timeshare experience, this resort has very unprofessional and rude people working at it. I wouldn't even stay at the resort for free! Save yourself from this bad experience and look elsewhere!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank erica7542

Upper Penninsula Michigan
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We stayed for a week at the West Gate Lakes. We were in the 200 building March 8-16 and had a great view of the lake out of our balcony. We truly enjoyed the stay and our kids took advantage of the many programs offered by the resort. They really loved the Wonderworks kids night out program.

We had a very clean room and had absolutely no issues at all with the condo. The staff was always very helpful and courteous when we needed them. I would stay here again. This is a fantastic location if you are staying in Orlando as everything is literally 5-15 minutes away.

We did not use any of the on site restaurants, but we did use many of the pools, hot tubs, bikes, paddle boats etc, and enjoyed those we did use. We did eat at several close by restaurants of which there are to many to name especially down International Blvd.

• Liked — Location and unit
  • Disliked — unit was a bit smaller than some 2 bedrooms we stayed in in the past
    • Check in / front desk
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed March 23, 2008

This was the worst experience and treatment I have ever received. It was a complete nightmare.

The Welcome Center was awesome. I was able to check in a little early. I thought that my trip was off to a good start!

However, once I arrived at my two bedroom suite, the drama began! The sheets in both bedrooms had BLOOD stains on them. I could not believe it. I called 8888 and after 5 minutes of waiting for someone to answer the phone, they finally took my call and said they would send someone with new sheets. The sheets came in a clear trash bag and were dropped off for me to change all three beds myself. I could not believe it! The least they could do was change the soiled sheets since they put them on the beds!

The shower in the master bedroom leaked loudly for two of the three nights I stayed there! Getting help with that was useless. Also, the lock on the sliding glass door was broken. Of course they came and fixed that right away but I was told that I was staying in a "Marketing" unit and that it was not as nice as a "Owner" unit. My thought is that I paid to stay in a well kept two bedroom suite, I was not there for free and therefore should have been treated as well as an owner!

The most unbelievable experience was my timeshare sales rep named Keisha! She was the rudest person I have ever met. She was pushy and from the beginning doubted anything I said. She made the presentation unbearable and after showing me pictures of her kids, she said that if I didn't purchase I would be taking food out of her kids mouths. She just went on and on with her very negative comments and energy. After having enough of her, I was given another sales rep. That individual decided to try to break the ice with a joke. Unfortunately, the joke was unacceptable, rude and of poor choice. I was totally offended and sat there in complete disbelief! I told that person that he needed more training on how to be professional and a sales rep!

The other major issue was that there was absolutely NO parking. You had to park so far away from your unit and wait for a shuttle or take the walk. Again, unreal!

This whole experience was terrible! I will never stay at Westgate Lakes Orlando, They mistreat their guest, especially non-owners. I was there for four days and three nights...and to think that I had to pay for such service!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else!
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank dchoney

south carolina
Reviewed March 22, 2008

the actual resort looks nice, but..... we were on the 5th floor for 4 nights. we could hear neighbors all around us, though the resort said they have NEVER heard of anyone ever complaining about noise. that is hard to believe. we are VERY easy going and normally do not complain about things.

but....the BIGGEST disappointment was the timeshare persons presentation we sat thru. she first kept asking us the same questions over and over, not like believeing what we were saying. when we finally had enough of badgering of about 20 minutes and we told her off, she became VERY rude and tried to give us a gulit trip that we were not buying and "taking money from her family". she is a TOTAL unprofessional. she does not belong in this type of business at all. the next hour she was very cold to us, like just going thru the motions. if all the salespeople are like that there, do NOT go thru the presentation !!

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank werhavinfun
WestgateGuestRels, Public Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2015

Luna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
The Point Orlando Resort
The Point Orlando Resort
#23 of 335 in Orlando
Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!