“absolutely horrible”

Ranked #204 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
San Jose, California
“absolutely horrible”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Imagine you have to deal with overcharged credit cards right after your vacation. This resort itself is of average standard and a bit overpriced for the grade, which is all fine if we had enjoyed the staying. The time spent on just fighting off charges makes this average grade resort an absolute one time deal and totally a regret etched in the memory. There are plenty other choices and there is no need to ruin your vacation with something avoidable. We were there for my mom and son's bdays and we are not just someone who happened to be there to be scammed.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank George R
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and apologize if we did not meet your expectations during your visit. Our goal is to provide a quality vacation at a great value. We value the feedback we receive from our guests and will review this with our entire team. Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Parkland, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2012

nice place we had the 4 bedroom 4 bath very nice great room upstairs bedroom perfect for the kids private balcony view overlooking lake
lots of swimming pools next time staying longer had a great time the spa was clean had a great massage

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Please come back and visit us longer in the future! It is great to know you thoroughly enjoyed your four bedroom villa. Our four bedroom villas are extremely spacious and well-equipped. We will pass your comments about the massage to our Serenity Spa team. They will appreciate the feedback. It is also nice to know you enjoyed one of our seven pools. Thank you for choosing Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, we look forward to having you visit us again in the future.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As a wetgate owner, I am usally always pleased with my stay there. This is the first time I stayed at this resort and I was very please. Good value for your money. We had 8 in our party and plenty of room.

Room Tip: we stayed in the 1100 bulding and we experience no problems
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pamcc
Thank you for selecting Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa as your vacation destination this year. It was great to know you were very pleased with your visit and you enjoyed your villa. Every one of our villas is spacious and offers all the amenities of home. As you discovered, our resort is very close not just to Universal Orlando Resort, but also to all the Disney parks and Sea World. On behalf of the entire team thank for visiting us and we look forward to exceeding your expectations in the future!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Me and my husband was in orlando Aug. 1-5 for a family reunion and stayed at Westgate Lake Resort and had the worst experience ever. We were placed in room 2426B which was a studio suite, everything looked ok but out dated furnishing. The first night we stayed when we woke up i notice on the sheets red spots like blood and jump out of bed to check myself and notice bump like bits on my arm and legs. Went to examine the bed better and saw small red bugs crawling and some smashed. We immediately called the front desk and explained our situation, the staff was not very helpful, I asked to speak to a manager and was placed on holf for 10 minutes before she picked up the line. I asked for her to come to the room and see this for herself and she stated she can not leave the desk and she will send someone to help move us to another room. By that time I was very upset and frustrated. When the mover came he check the mattress and it was full of bugs crawling even on the side of the headboard. Once we were transferred to building 2500, the mover checked our bed and mattress we saw no signs of bugs so we left our things and went to the front office. The manager was nowhere to be found and we waited 25 minutes in the lobby for her to see us, but we had to leave to attend planned events and told staff we will stop back by when we return. Upon our arrival back we spoke to a manager who then insulted us by saying bed bugs travel and it's possible that we could of carried them. I becamed beyound pissed and told them how I felt and that this was the worst experience ever and I have never had this problem before, she then tried to correct what she said and I told her that her staff even witnessed the bugs and I asked her to come see for herself and she stated she couldn't leave the office. The only compensation she offered was to have our clothes dry cleaned. I told her we trashed those clothes because we want to be sure nothing like that follows us. I had to tell her, to credit me back for that night or we are leaving and she said she will do that but, no report was taken and no one even followed up on us during the rest of our stay. I spoke to a few others in the lobby who had complaints to report of dirty sheets or foul odors in their room and was trying to request another room. I was also told that is a rental development and they use it for their timeshare tours so basically they give those rooms for free if you do tours, so who knows what kind of other things are in those rooms.

Room Tip: Do not recommend
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Diamond-rings22
Thank you for your follow up on your vacation to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. Please accept our apologies if you felt we did not respond in a timely manner. If there are any questions of a bed bug sitting we go to great measures to address the issue immediately by moving our guests and eliminate the pests with proper treatment. Rest assured our company takes bed bugs very seriously and we react immediately. On behalf of the entire team we are sorry for the experience you had and any lack of service you felt you did not receive. Your comments have been shared with our management team so everyone is aware of your feedback.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

So I went for a week during December to celebrate Christmas at Disney with my brother and cousin though it was the first time going without my parents. I have been to this resort before but i was nervous since I was essentially the adult in the group and was weary of how secure and safe we would be since they located us very far away from the main building.
First off checking in was a breeze and the bellhop was very nice and kind as he took us right to our room and made sure we felt comfortable. I had problems with the outdated kitchen since I usually stay with them in the more updated rooms but luckily one call to the front desk and they quickly sent someone to help me.
Only complaints I would say is lack of entertainment inside the resort, the pools are pretty small and tends to give me a yucky feeling, the rental bikes are rusty, the movies they show in their theater are most of the time pretty boring, the 'train' that goes around the hotel is mostly 'good luck finding it' and unless your at the parks or driving around getting to know Orlando (which is what we did for most of our trip) I say sleeping, bathing and heading out the door is a must.
I expected more considering my past experiences with them and though I was not too disappointed I left feeling pretty 'blah'. I'll be going again to Orlando this year but I highly doubt I'll be booking with them anytime soon...
One tip I would say for anyone planning to go is that this place is great but really ask for more updated rooms if possible. Its a beautiful place but I feel its lost in some areas of the resort. Especially if your far away from the main building since that's where all the action occurs.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SweetSaku
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us on your vacation from last December at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It was great to read your check in was quick and efficient and our bell person was helpful. Our Guest Service Team focuses on good service and continues to strive to always make our guests happy. Rest assured we offer a safe resort and have a large Security Department to monitor the safety of all our guests. Our activities team offers a wide range of activities for the entire family and the movies we offer are always family orientated. Thank you again and we hope you will visit us this year so we can exceed your expectations.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort and was very impressed. Upon arriving at the main entrance, I was promptly greeted by a friendly concierge who directed me to the room planner. Despite an old-fashioned computer system and copious amounts of paperwork, this process was rather painless. Afterwards, my party was shoveled off to an assistant who would make reservations at local attractions if we needed. We declined this service so we could get to our room. Our room was near the back end of the complex and just a golf-carts drive away. After entering the room, I was amazed by the amount of space and luxurious accommodations. The room had a full-sized kitchen, with granite counter tops and updated appliances. We only used the fridge when we were there though, it definitely came in handy. The living room was very spacious and included a large television with a sectional couch and surround sound. The master suite looked like a Roman bath house and was complete with a king sized bed, full, separate shower, a large Jacuzzi tub, and a porch. The other bathroom and bedroom were nice as well. I really appreciated the fact that the room also had a ceiling fan in all areas, which is a must in Florida. Finally, the room was very clean, towels were provided and the location was exquisite, close to shopping, restaurants and theme parks. I highly recommend the Westgate Lakes Resort!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ClimbToFL350
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your vacation at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It was our pleasure to provide you a great vacation experience. It is great to read you were greeted properly upon arrival and your check in was efficient. We are happy you enjoyed your large accommodations with all the conveniences of home to include a whirl pool tub and the full size kitchen. Our resort is in the perfect location as we state to all our guests, great for all the theme park, outside dinning, and shopping. We are so happy we exceeded your vacation expectations and look forward to having you back in the future!
Iron Mountain, Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The rooms/pools/grounds/etc. were very nice and clean. HOWEVER they overcharged my c.c. and tried ripping me off. I spent A LOT of my vacation time trying to fix this with the office personal and even though they said it was all taken care of.....when i got my statement ALL the unathorized charges were on there and they would NOT take them off. They said they had no record of me disputing these charges and I was liable. My c.c. company had to dispute the charges and they were finally dropped. The resort would NOT have dropped them had it not been for my c.c. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE!!!! Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
20 Thank Luv2Travel42339
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments on your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We were happy to read you felt your accommodations and the resort was clean and met your expectations. If there was any confusion regarding any charges on your credit card please accept our apologies. It is definitely not our intention to over charge any person who stays at our resort. Rest assured we take our guest comments very seriously and this will be reviewed. Please feel free to call us at the resort at any time so we can clear up any confusion and/or unauthorized charges. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#87 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!