“A great stay for our family!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #198 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Liberty ny
“A great stay for our family!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

My stay may have been different because I am a Westgate owner, but I found my family's stay here fantastic. There are some things that could have been better, but no place is ever perfect. The decor is a liitle outdated, but doesn't influence the comfort or usefulness of the place. I found it to be very clean, and the customer service was great. We were met right away and taken to our room and shown a list of activities that were going on for the week. The place is huge, so we spent one day just walking around the grounds and seeing all that there was to offer. There was so much to do that we easily could have never left except to eat for the entire week. There were 3 children under 4 and 4 adults, and a 2 bedroom suite was more than big enough for us. The pools were well maintained, and I enjoyed the dj by the pool. The cribs could be updated. I think I'll bring a pack and play the next time. The playground was disappointing as well, but there is so much to do, that the kids didn't care. I don't suggest the Smokehouse Grill. It's expensive and the service isn't great. There is a deli and a pizza hut on the grounds as well. One day there were hotdogs, bugers & chicken for sale by the pool. I found the grounds easy to get around. Parking was never a problem for us. The spa is wonderful and I suggest everyone use it if you're up for some pampering. We don't own at the Lakes Resort & Spa, but will pay to switch here every time we stay in Orlando.

• Liked — the number of activities offered
  • Disliked — lack of playground
3 Thank drewsclues
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since you last stayed with us. We certainly hope to see you again soon.

Luna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

Hotel is very decieving as are the time share staff. Pretty lobby, but after checking in you are sent to another counter to "find out where your room is." This is where they schedule your time share tour, which is supposed to take 90 minutes, but actually takes 3 hours. They say they will feed you breakfast first, but dragged us off to begin the tour before my kids could get a chance to eat. You have to leave a deposit for the tour, and you don't get a gift at the end, despite promises. To get your deposit back, you sign something that says you declined the gift, even though none was offered. I went to a time share supervisor about this, to no avail. Rooms are big, but hotel is very run down. Toilet in my room and another persons room overflowed. Took hours to get staff to fix. No accomodation was made to move the room after flood. No lifeguards at pools which are totally overcrowded and not safe. Small child almost drowned in kiddie pool while I was there and her father had to pull her out. Nickeled and dimed for everything including a $.75 per page charge to print boarding passes for flight home and $1.00 per card charge to play bingo. Housekeeping is an additional charge. Shuttle costs $10.00 per seat. Fishing poles broken, bike rental requires waiver that you will pay $130.00 if bike is returned scratched or gear shift broken. Pools supposed to close at 11pm, loud music and partying went on until well past midnight, making it difficult to sleep. No customer service, no amenities. Terrible experience!

• Disliked — Hidden costs, run down facilities
3 Thank zgrandma
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

My Fiance and I stayed here with my six year old daughter. Though we were looking into several options in terms of timeshare, we really weren't interested in the Westgate. So, Since we were not interested in the Timeshare tour, it was clearly evident we did not receive the same kind of treatment as potential buyers.

The resort was entirely too big; so big, you needed a ride to get to the front desk, the restaurant, anywhere else around the resort and back. Most of the time, the shuttle that travels the grounds was late.

Food Deliveries were not allowed to enter the property, so back to catching a ride to the front desk again then catching a ride back to the room. In addition,The taxi/shuttle transportation Westgate is affiliated with (Caesars) is terrible. After visiting the theme parks, Caesars picked us up at least a half hour late two days in a row. The dispatcher was very rude and we were just about the last people in the park both nights. One night, it rained, it was very chilly, we were exhausted, we got to the pick up site early, and our taxi never came. After about two arguments later, the dispatcher sent over a second taxi and we got home at 1 am. That day, the park closed at 11. Only to find out the dispatcher sent the original taxi to the wrong park and still argued with me. We would have taken another taxi, only both Westgate and Caesars both encourage travelers to purchase a round trip taxi fare which is completely non-refundable.

Also, we stayed a total of 6 nights. Our room was cleaned twice.
You can imagine how happy I was to leave parading around with a Wyndham Bonnet Creek bag.

Staying at this resort was an overall hassle. I live in NY so It's something we were trying to escape, only for Westgate to ruin it. To get the slightest things done meant it would have been an overall production for this hotel. While some of the staff were very nice, most of the others were not helpful, nor knowledgeable whatsoever.

3 Thank BonVoyage001

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

Stayed here 4 nights as a renter, not a timeshare owner. Checked in early, quick and efficient, required a $50 deposit on Credit card, used map to find room and skipped the tour. Large place but parked right outside room by the stairs. The resort is in a great location between universal and disney.

Had a studio unit. Not exactly like new, but clean enough. Medium size ref and microwave were good for snacks. Not really a full kitchenette though. Large shower stall was very nice, didn't use the whirlpool tub. Swimming pool was large and very warm! Bar and food available with the music made it a nice relaxing resort area.

Only thing I didn't really like was we had no view except of the AC compressors which ran all the time. Just kept the patio doors closed and didn't use the balcaony. Other than that, it was a fair deal. Free parking, no resort fees. I'll stay here again.

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — lack of a view
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ready.Teddy

Ft Lauderdale
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed here for a wedding reception that was happening in the area and every night we cam back to our room we had to put up with loud music coming from the pool area behind our building. The answer that the staff gave was that the music was on till 11pm. Nothing they could do.
Solution...Sound proof windows?
The bathroom was horrible with mold all over the shower knobs and floor. As for the sheets, don't expect them to fit the bed. Every night we woke up having to try to make the sheets fit. The other alternative was to sleep directly on the mattress because the mattress pad was for a twin bed, not the queen bed that was in the room.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tbav

New york City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

The interest of this time share is one of the
reasons .I am not sastisfied with this resort.
Even with a good credit scored they scam
you in lies.I have been paying my time share
more than three years the balance is still
the same.this is a good resort but the
policy and way they sell their timeshare
i give them a F-.

• Liked — clean and safe
  • Disliked — the noise from others next door
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank gutizano

Crystal Beach, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

I stayed here for five days in February 2008. There were certainly some good things and some bad things about this resort. First, the good: The weather was record-breakingly perfect, so I stayed by one of seven pools on the resort. The staff is very friendly and everyone says hello. I was fortunate to not be asked to go on the timeshare tour, probably because I was travelling on my own. Being right beside the lake made for a very non-touristy feel to the place. The room was huge for a studio, with a nice Florida room to sit in and enjoy the weather. It is close to all the attractions, and Wal-Mart is just a fifteen minute walk (but everyone drives everywhere!)
Having said all that, I found the resort to be run down and inaccessible. Since they have just started digging the ground for the waterpark they are creating, I had a fifteen minute walk to get to the restaurants, and Paradise Island was not open (which would have been quite nice). It seemed to be quite a task to find food, and it took me three days just to find a vending machine! The market is overpriced (of course) but the selection is poor, unless you eat garbage food all the time. I was surprised to find it difficult to find an orange to snack on! I had no idea how to turn the AC down, so the room was 64F at night. I left the Florida Room door open most of the day just to heat the room up.
Overall this resort would have been lovely ten or fifteen years ago, but it doesn't feel like they've done much to it since. If the resort had 1700 rooms, then one might assume there would be more food or restaurants. I was very torn on whether I like this place or not, but I am fairly sure I will not go back. I can find the sunshine at a nicer place.

• Liked — Lots of pools
  • Disliked — Gross food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank MBTO

Luna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,419 reviews
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!