“Ideal in all things”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios
Ranked #61 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 18, 2006

Second time we have been to the Homewood Suites Universal, and would gladly go again, great quiet location, very clean, ideal for attractions and I4 motorway. great free beakfasts and manager specials 4 nights a week. Staff are very pleasant and wwell mannered, quick reponse to any of your needs.
Our son is blind and they changed rooms on our arrival and were allways asking if we had everything he needed.
Stay here you will not be dissapointed

10  Thank Graeme P

Reviewed May 17, 2006

Stayed here two nights recently. I stay at Homewood Suites often and this one was nice. However, the carpet in the room was stained and worn. Overall the room was comfortable. My biggest gripe was the pool. My son was looking forward to swimming in the morning and while we ate breakfast it was fun seeing the ducks landing and swimming in the pool. However, after breakfast we walked up to the pool and noticed a lot of duck poop on the bottom and two huge hairballs floating around. I told the front desk and they said they would clean it up. I didn't check the next morning. The breakfast was up to normal HWS standards, maybe a little bit better. Good mix of hot and cold items. The exercise room was excellent with some freeweights and several machines. International drive is a very busy location. This was a last minute trip tied to some work I had to do in the area. If I was choosing I would pick another location, though.

7  Thank Robb100
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 1 week and enjoyed the large rooms, complimentary buffet breakfast and daily Manager's Specials they had. It was a good value for families with children but as a single person I still enjoyed the benefits as well. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Orlando and wishing to stay in the area closest to Universal Studios.

8  Thank lacrazia
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed May 15, 2006

After spending an enjoyable week on the gulf coast, my family (wife and I and 2 boys, 7 and 1.5 years) came to this hotel for 4 days during late April and early May. I selected it largely due to the favourable reviews on this site.

I travel a lot for business and usually find myself in some very nice hotels. That said, I would classify this hotel as one of the best I've stayed in, as it understood its purpose and played it to perfection. In bullet form:

The Hotel

- the hotel is very clean and nicely painted. No Matisse in the lobby, but friendly staff who actually seem concerned about your enjoyment, without being obsequious.
- the hotel offers a complementary hot breakfast buffet each morning. Those hoping for smoked salmon and custom omlettes need to look elsewhere. However, if you have hungry kids there is nothing better than to come out of your room and have immediate scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, bagels and toast, a selection of juices and wait for it... actually good coffee! Try the make-it-yourself waffles with whipped cream and syrup. Yum!
- between 4 and 7 (approx) on Mon-Thurs they have a managers welcome. This is a VERY simple snack/meal, but it is provided with wine or beer... again complementary. After a day of Seaworld we decided to take them up on it. It was pasta with beef stew. It was passable and the kids liked it. The red wine was decent compared to most wine given away.
- be aware that other than the above, there is no restaurant in the hotel. This is one nextdoor at the Hilton Garden Inn.
- the pool is heated. I mean it.. it is HEATED. It must be about 88F. There is no shock going into it and my littlest son loved his first introduction to a pool.

The Rooms

- the rooms have a decent kitchen... 2 element stove, dishwasher, full fridge, garborator, microwave, sink, coffee maker, cutlery and dishes for 4, and they include paper towels and dishwasher detergent. Extra garbage bags are left too.
- each room has a seperate bedroom with a door between the living room and the bedroom. Closing the door muffles quite well any noise from either TV in both rooms.
- beds are very good, firm, but good. Even nicer is they have a choice of pillows on each bed: a down pillow, a puffy foam pillow, and a flatter foam pillow.
- noise from other units is very minimal. Despite a reasonably full hotel there was little noise from other rooms.
- there is no mini-bar so you'll have to buy your own. I like a beer in the evening, so I was very pleased to see the hotel sold beer by the lobby desk (those non-Quebec Canadians can appreciate this). What really shows the decency of the hotel is that while I've had pay $6 for a beer in ritzy hotel minibars, they sold a beer for $3, or pick 6 for $10. Very reasonable.
- by the way the hotel also sells a variety of things consistant with serving people who may be staying there for a while.

Any Negatives?

- the hotel is faultless, although I must point out you are by International Drive. Having never stayed on this particular piece of road, I was surprised (and kinda revolted) by the crowds, traffic, and overall tackiness of the area. If your diet is only McD, BK, KFC, and IHOP, you'll be very happy.
- beware of the pizza offers slipped under your hotel door. We ordered from one and they simply never showed despite 2 hours and repeated calls and promises that "the guy just left with your order". Go down to the lobby desk and ask for their recommended places and you'll be served much better.

I paid a whopping $124 a night, which means I paid the same amount for 4 nights as I've had to pay for 1 in London, UK at a ostenatious but ultimately poor hotel. This Homewood Suites was great value at twice the price.

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2006

If you want to be in the International Drive area of Orlando this hotel is recommended. Suites are a good size, with 2 beds in a bedroom which could be closed off from the sitting area, dining area and well equipped kitchen. The rooms and hotel are clean and well kept. The pool is a good size but by evening needed cleaned (which wasn't done until the middle of the morning) as birds and ducks kept swimming in it and it gathered leaves - I expect other hotel pools in the area would have the same issue. Perks include a free newspaper delivered to your room, free breakfast with a reasonable choice including hot items, and for a couple of hours in the evening free wine and beer together with a free light evening meal. You can take your food to your room if you want, or eat in the restaurant area or by the pool. The staff were friendly and helpful, we were able to check in early when we arrived at 11am and to check-out a little later at 1pm. It is just off International Drive so you can have a pleasant walk in the evening to the I-Drive attractions and the shopping malls and theme parks are easy to get to and well sign-posted.However there is no noise or traffic affecting the hotel because it is just off the main Drive. All in all, very good value for money and a good standard of hotel for this area.

12  Thank M90_AMT
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We booked into the Homewood Suites based on the reviews provided on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The room was more than adequate for myself and my boyfriend, we could have easily fit 3 more people into the room. After spending time in European hotels, it was nice to have a sink outside of the shower room for a change!

Not to repeat all of the things that have been mentioned in previous reviews, we noted a few additional nice items during our visit. Firstly, I had no problems with Wireless access upon booting up my Mac - an issue I sometimes have at various places. The connection was good and enabled me to upload some of my pictures while travelling instead of waiting until I got home. Secondly, Local phone calls were free, even to mobile phones. While this may hot be a big thing or perk for some, as someone who has to pay for every minute dialled, it was a nice surprise for me!

Overall, the rooms were clean and well kept and we enjoyed use of the kitchen. The hotel is situated close to Universal and was within a 15 minute drive to the Disney Theme parks (we visited during a slower time I think so traffic may pick up during peak times). We didn't eat at any of the Manager's dinners, but can say that breakfast was well varied and offered something for most tastes. We enjoyed our stay and would definately use this hotel again for future Orland visits.

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank Emily P
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My brother and I stayed here while I checked on my property that is being built in the area. The room was immaculate and the suite amenities were a bonus. Free breakfast and happy hour snacks and drinks. The pool are area was very clean as well. I will definitely stay here again in the future!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business