“Great park, but big queues”

Universal's Islands of Adventure
Ranked #3 of 394 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Prepare for a place where super heroes, beasts, and magical creatures stand before you. You're entering lands where everything is real. Explore a secret school of witchcraft and wizardry. Fly high above the city streets with a famous web slinger. Hide from hungry dinosaurs and hope you're not their next meal. And you can face the most colossal ape ever to walk the earth. Let the adventures begin.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had great fun here, Dragon challenge is a superb ride especially at the front seat and not much of a queue for some reason, yet I found this to be one of the best rides in orlando.. Couldn't get on the Harry Potter ride, 2 hr wait and can't do that. Jurassic park boat ride was good fun and I liked the feel of this area with the music and static dinosaurs. No fast passes unless you pay through the nose - so get in early!

Write a ReviewReviews (48,348)
All reviews
in 1,268 reviews
"dragon challenge"
in 459 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

me, my husband, and 3 teenage daughters went in july 2013 and were all very disappointed. there were a few rides and the rest was just like a shopping mall. All they want you to do is spend more money. The harry potter stuff was shut down the day we went. The one show we found was Sinbad and it was very good, that was the only thing we did all day besides walk around. what a waste of money....maybe universal is better but I wouldn't recommend this park to my worst enemy

1  Thank melanie a
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Must go. If you are doing both parks then make sure you do Universal first and Islands of adventure second. Keep the water rides for later unless you have a change of clothes. Wear light airy clothes so they can dry if you don't bring a change of clothes.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Islands of Adventure has always been one of my favorite theme parks due to the variety of attractions. I love how each area of the park has its own unique theme.

This visit was my first time to experience the Harry Potter World, and I was beyond impressed. I was very drawn into the atmosphere and forgot that I was in Florida. The architecture, food, butter beer, workers, shops, and rides all suited the Harry Potter theme perfectly. Caution: It gets very crowded in this area, especially the shops, so I recommend darting straight here when you enter the park. Also, don't waste your time for the wand show beside the wand shop. It is only 7 minutes long, and only one child is chosen to receive a free wand. The Forbidden Journey can be quite frightening and not suited for those with motion sickness. It was my favorite simulator ride by far.

I was disappointed that the Jurassic Park ride was closed, but we rode everything else. Long lines for a Tuesday visit, so I recommend the express pass if you visit during the summer.

Nothing else had changed since my previous visit, but the Harry Potter World was definitely worth the visit. If for nothing else, visit this park to witness the Harry Potter World!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I don't think I could ever give an attraction where I have to spend so much time waiting in line, a five star rating. I can't take the lines! That said, the lines here are much smaller than any Disney park. Universal also has more fans in their lines and water misters which help keep you cool. Something that Disney doesn't do. Not sure why? Without the lines...five stars hands down!

Wizarding world of Harry Potter was awesome. I can't say that someone who hasn't seen the movies would like this as much, but if you are a fan, you'll love this. The Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey was the best ride in all of Orlando, hands down. This is a ride that combines the simulator concept with an indoor ride, using both IMAX style video screens scattered throughout the ride, along with animatronics. One nice thing about this ride is that much of the line to get in is inside, air conditioned and is like a walk through ride with ghostly images of Harry, Ron and Hermione, animated artwork and the hat! A great ride. Also here is the town from the movie, Hogsmead. Authentic looking buildings with interesting shops and Potter wands etc.

Great coasters. Dragon Challenge and The Hulk were both great rides. The line was a little long that late in the day. We missed out on the new Transformers, because we were only there for a day, it was hot and the line was over two hours.

All in all, the Universal parks are much easier to get around in. Everything is closer and you don't spend so much of your day walking from place to place. This is much more fun than Disney parks. Disney may have more to offer, but with limited time, Universal gives you more for your money...and sucks up much less of it!