“Nice hotel but not 5 star” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #21 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Nice hotel but not 5 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I spent one week in May 2014 at the RItz Carlton Grand Lakes Hotel. The first room we were shown smelled like diapers. Fortunately we were quickly moved to a very nice room on the club floor overlooking the large pool. It was clean, quiet and well located. The rooms are nice but this hotel is more Marriott than Ritz.

This hotel has very nice grounds and the golf course looked beautiful. My husband did their eco tour which was guided by a naturalist and he enjoyed it very much. the naturalist was knowledgable and the tour was excellent. Right behind the hotel real Floridian nature abounds. You can really see a lot.

The spa is quite good. The spa pool is quiet and excellent for swimming laps. The spa restaurant serves excellent food if you want to have a healthy meal. The services and products are also excellent. The two Carita facials and the Signature massage were fabulous. Unfortunately, the women's locker room showers were filthy. There were used razors left behind as well as used toiletries in the shower stalls. They need to be cleaned better between guests. I complained about it but it wasn't corrected.

If you want a nice hotel in Orlando, the Ritz will do. Please remember though, if you are expecting a true luxury five star experience, you might be disappointed.

The concierge was very good. They efficiently booked meals and sports for us.

Room Tip: higher up and overlooking the pool
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rhonda A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

The Ritz is very nice. However, they share grounds with the JW Marriott. You will find that you will spend more time at the JW pool and use the JW facilities. Moreover, the price at JW is much more affordable. If you want to use the pool and other facilities, I suggest you book the JW. You can still use the Ritz facilitates, so you win both ways.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed there for three nights during July 2014. The hotel is really great, rooms are huge and very relaxing. Decor is classic luxury but not heavy or overwhelming There is a wonderful lobby lounge area with a bar that also serves great snacks and drinks. There is a huge swimming pool with great temperature for day and night swimming. We also had dinner at Norman's with great food and service. I would say the service was excellent everywhere, we were always greeted with a smile and everyone went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable from the parking area to the Expedia local experts who booked our theme park tickets. Coming from Europe, it is not often we get such professional and good service in hotels ;-) There is absolutely nothing I can say about this hotel - it was a real pleasure to stay there and we are centainly going to stay there again on our next visit!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
Newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed here four four nights after checking out of a very disappointing villa ! It is a beautiful property which has been refurbished in the last few years. It is a tranquil haven away from the craziness of the theme parks. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The rooms are immaculate and the pool is a great place to relax. The service provided by the staff is very good and friendly. There was a great choice of food served at breakfast..... The omelettes made for you are especially good. I would defiantly recommend I staying here .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Port Charlotte, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

This one nighr stay was very nice from beginning to end. The staff always made youvfeel appreciated and welcome. Stay was for a trade show and even that was very smooth. Expensive food, but otherwise a great experience.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

After staying for 4 years at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, we are definitely used to a very high level of luxury. We found that the Waldorf's service and attention to detail definitely declined year after year to the point of rudeness hence the reason for checking into the Ritz Carlton.

I'm so glad we did! The hotel is great but the staff are what makes the real difference. Everyone we came into contact with; check-in, valet, pool staff, concierge, house-keeping were delightful. A particular Gold Star should be awarded to Patricia and Carem from concierge who were both absolutely the nicest and most helpful girls.

Unfortunately our first room we were given allocated badly smelt of smoke (not good) so we were quickly reallocted without any fuss. Our room overlooked the pool and had a small balcony which was lovely to sit on late evening with a glass of wine and relax before bed.

My slight disappointments were the size of the double beds (they felt tiny for 2 adults) and the pillows were too mushy. Thank God I always travel with my own :)

You can use the pool at the Marriott next door which has a lazy river. Kids and adults both love it. In the Summer it doesn't close until 11pm so a midnight ride on an inflatable to cool off was magical.

The Resort Fee is $25 per day which seems fairly standard for that category of hotel but it least it covers things that I really value ie., free WIFI & 2 hours of free Kids-Club which both my girls loved. The staff and the range of activities at the Kids Club were exceptional.

Another small moan is if you choose to self-park ($19+tax) rather than use the valet, I think the price is still very high considering it's quite a walk away (especially in the soaring heat or pouring rain!)

We were very reluctant to leave the hotel on our last day so we were kindly allowed to check-out @ 1pm rather than 11am which meant we could really make good use of the morning.

Top Tip - We chose to eat off-site for breakfast and were recommended a great place called Keke's nearby which had breakfast to die-for.

Assuming the price is right, we will definitely re-book for next year and thoroughly look forward to another 5* stay.

Keep up the good work - to all the staff, you are doing a great job and making a real difference. Thank you! xx

Room Tip: The double beds are very small and bring your own pillow!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lissybubs
Clermont, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

I arrived at the hotel and took a ticket from the machine to park in self-parking. The lot was over-flowing with cars parked against the curbs and blocking the ends of aisles forcing me to back out of dead ends, There wasn't a single spot available. I was trapped in the lot as there were no parking spaces and to leave I had to pay $18 to the machine, as there was no attendant, either. There was no way I was paying $18 when I hadn't even been able to park!

I waited for 15 minutes for a spot to open before calling the hotel. The first call the phone rang 20 times and then disconnected. The second time someone answered after two rings. The women explained that they were aware of the situation and were on their way to open the gates to let people out so they could park in an alternate lot.

I waited another 12 minutes, no one came. I called back. The operator answered and then disconnected the call before I could get a single word in.

Finally almost 30 minutes after I had arrived, someone left and I was able to take their space. This caused me to be late to my conference.

I complained at the front desk and they said they would comp my parking (which doesn't get me out of hot water with my boss for being late--even though I had arrived 20 minutes before the start of the event).

When I went to leave, there was an attendant assisting at the machine who didn't want to believe me that I was supposed to have comped parking and gave me an attitude about it before finally letting me out with a sigh of disgust. This was after waiting almost 15 minutes for a long line of cars to try to process out of the lot.

This was unacceptable, and something one might expect from a cheap motel, certainly not a Ritz-Carlton. Very, very poor show, and 45 minutes wasted simply trying to park.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lovescabs
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
I want to apologize for this unacceptable experience. I am so sorry that we inconvenienced you during your recent visit to the resort and there are no excuses for what happened. Thank you for sharing this experience and my team and I will work to ensure this never happens again. If you would have the the time I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly.
Warm Regards,