“Couldn't have been Better”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #20 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Naples, Florida
“Couldn't have been Better”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I traveled from our home in SW Florida to the Ritz Grande Lakes for my birthday this year, we're kinda Ritz junkies if you will.
This is one WONDERFUL place from the moment you get out of your car till you leave.
The club and attendants, from Trish, James and especially Louise made us feel like we had been old friends returning.
Milo down at the pool was gracious enough to give me a HUG for my birthday!!!

You know, not all Ritz Carltons are created equally (yup, we've had a few bumps in the road but this one is in our top two.
A perfect club level, an amazinly clean room and people who are just plain friendly!!!!

I have to give credit for the perfect staff to the management who takes creates the environment the employees benefit by. Happy management, happy employees.

Thanks to EVERYONE at the Ritz Grande Lakes for launching me SO NICELY into my 61st year.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the pool area lest you succumb to a view of the hotel entrance...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Went on our first "real vacation" in quite a few years with both kids. It was a wonderful hotel, with a friendly staff. I loved the heated pool with the resident ducks that came every night. The pool was far less crowded than the other hotels, so his made it much more pleasant. It was nice that you could share amenities with the Marriott, because there was limited activities at the Ritz itself.

The regular room was adequate, but not very large, so we upgraded to a suite. Now, for the price I was now paying (more than $600/night). I expected everything to be perfect. The room never cooled off, and it took me more than 2 days to have it "fixed". I was told that it never got colder than 65, and quite frankly, it felt closer to 70. It should've been rectified sooner and not forced me to go to a manager for help. I didn't get a good night sleep for 3 nights. I also had a maid walk in on me after getting out of the shower...I didn't hear her knock, and she was there. Lastly, I had to pay for WiFi and valet Parking which really bumped up the cost. I know this is an upper crust hotel, but I can get free WiFi everywhere else, and I find this unacceptable. So, be prepared to be nickled and dimed on everything that you do. If you are rich, it won't bother you but maybe my lack of sleep has made me overly critical.

Room Tip: Suites are nice, the pool view is lovely but is an upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank emcgowan
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Let me start by saying that I live in Southwest FL and my best friend lives in Orlando. We make it a point to have a spa day at this Ritz-Carlton each summer. We've been doing so for several years. We decided this year to go ahead and spend the weekend along with our spa day, since we have both stayed at multiple Ritz-Carlton locations with our families and have loved the experiences, especially Club Level . We decided to book our stay in May to tie in celebrating my birthday. No husband, no kids, just a really fun girls weekend! We splurged and booked a cabana by the pool for the day we would be at the Spa. Arrived at the hotel to check in Friday afternoon. Check in process great, not a problem. Michael the Bellman was so gracious. He even left a note later in our room thanking us for our visit and letting us know he'd be happy to assist us in any way. Nice touch. Room was terrific (14th floor, Club Level, view of the lake, nice balcony)! First hiccup--my friend had ordered balloons as surprise for me to be in our room upon arrival. Surprise--they weren't delivered. She was a bit bummed, but not a huge deal. Headed to the Club for a snack and drink since it was evening at this point. Neither of our room cards would work to access the Club. Again, not a huge deal. Found a staff member in the hall who let us in, and the Concierge rectified it immediately (her name was Wooslyn and she was wonderful each time we were in the Club). Dinner that evening at Norman's Restaurant was delicious. Extensive wine list and the tasting menu looked terrific, though I didn't partake in that. Next morning we headed to the spa looking forward to a fun day by the pool and in the spa. Arrived to check in and staff was very friendly. Asked if we preferred to go to the locker room to change or go directly out to our cabana by the pool. We decided to change so we could relax by the pool in our robes. After changing we asked a staff member in the spa if someone could show us to our cabana at the pool. She said to go ahead out to the pool and someone should be there. Um, okay we were not sure how to get to the pool but guessed we could figure it out. Found our way. Not a soul there. Wasn't sure which of the two cabanas was ours. Looked around for someone who works there. Had to go to the Café. They showed us which of the two was ours (turns out the guest name is posted in front of each). She told us someone would be around to show us everything. That never happened. We settled ourselves in though we weren't sure how to work the TV, turn on the fan or where the covers were located for the chaise lounges. We figured out everything except the fan. Thought it would have been nice with the amount we were spending for the cabana (almost $400) to have someone who could have oriented us. Another bummer. Young lady starts coming around to everyone at the pool, including us, with menus for the café if we wished to order anything. Throughout the day we noticed that poor girl seemed to be the only person servicing everyone at the pool. She was doing her best, but far too much for one person. Our first spa appointment was at 12:30, so we wanted to have lunch first. No one came back out until near noon, so we just ordered smoothies. Figured we'd eat later. Also my friend had pre-ordered cupcakes to be delivered to our cabana at 11. Surprise again-no cupcakes. She spoke to a someone in a suit. He didn't apologize, simply said "We didn't want to deliver them early because they would melt." Well she had requested them to be delivered at 11 thinking we'd be ordering our food. Hmmm, things are starting to head a bit south. Spa treatment great! Back out to the pool with a pit stop at the café to place food order just in case. Someone passed by the cabana and we asked if she could please help us turn on the ceiling fan. She wasn't sure how, but she was able to find the switch. Food served in the cabana with no utensils. Asked for some, they brought out one set. There were two of us. We shared the fork. Really? Yep. Food was fine. No complaints there. Asked for another set of utensils partway through the meal, she brought out plastic utensils in a packet. She said they were out of regular flatware. Not exactly Ritz-Carlton level, but alright. We were happy we didn't have to continue sharing a fork. Cupcakes finally delivered and they were yummy! Next spa treatment at 4:00--awesome also! Came back out at 5:30 and our cabana was already cleaned and stripped even though we were told it would be ours till 7 p.m. Okay, guess we're done for the day then. I went back and looked around in the café for someone and told her we had leftover cupcakes in the fridge in the cabana and would like to take them to go. She said, "Sure, go ahead out and grab them and bring them here and I'll wrap them." Alright so I was walking around with a plate of cupcakes and the inside door at the café was locked. Ugh. Went back outside (still carrying them around) and was able to enter the outer door and she took them from me and wrapped them. Asked if I'd like to go ahead and close out the cabana and pay for the food. Okay, I explained I should have a credit toward food included with my cabana package. "Do you know how much? They should have given you a voucher when you checked in this morning," she said. I replied, "$25, I believe." She went ahead and credited $25. Went to main desk to pay for spa treatments and also to confirm that was the right amount for the credit toward food. Turns out it was actually $25 for each of us. I replied, "Oh, even better! Can you please credit me $25 more since I only received one credit in the café?" Answer: "You need to go back to the café and have them make the correction." We were both getting pretty frustrated at this point. To their credit: she did remove the charge for the cupcakes from my friend's bill and she did escort me back over to the café for the $25 credit. By the end of that day we were feeling pretty let down by the whole experience. That evening in the Club was fun and relaxing. All staff were so accommodating and friendly. However, we were a little disappointed with the evening food presentation. Other RC clubs (New Orleans, Washington D.C.) have a variety of delicious small bites including fish, meat, sides, etc. This Club only had a few small salads. One was lettuce with salsa on top (Huh? Just a bowl of toppings really.) the second was beans and the third was mango and shrimp (that one was good). Chocolate chip cookies were amazing, though, and there was a really adorable separate room in the Club for kids with their own relaxation area and food presentation. Too cute! Great second night in the room--quiet, comfortable beds. Housekeeper was so friendly. Next morning before checkout I decided to pay a visit to the Spa Gift Shop because I was thinking of trying a new cosmetic line. I went into the shop and no one was there. So I browsed, and browsed. I heard some voices toward the back. I headed to a rack in that area so they would know I was there and offer help. I made noise by moving hangers back and forth and hoped they'd come out. They continued to talk about accounts and work on the computer. They must have heard me and probably could see me as well, since I was only about 10 feet from them. Well I spent half and hour in that store and didn't want to wait any longer for help. That was one sale they lost. I'm not sure if this location is just grossly understaffed, or what exactly the issue might have been, but overall I would have to give just an average for this stay, sadly. Guess we've just had our expectations elevated too much by other locations of the Ritz-Carlton. We still plan to go each year for a spa day, but can't imagine plunking down the amount of money we did for just a so-so experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank tcacc
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent visit to Grande Lakes. Your feedback and candor are greatly appreciated and I have shared with my team already. I am thrilled that there were many elemments of your stay with us that were up to your expectations, like your room, spa treatments, the club lounge and many of our Ladies and Gentlemen. Your cabana and spa boutique experiences were not acceptable and I am very sorry for these experiences. I would love to speak with you directly if you have a moment to get more detail.
Warmest Regards,
Jon Mcgavin
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed there for 2 times, and the service, the ambience, the interiors and exteriors are immaculate. The rooms have nice size and excellent beds and pillows. I’ve eaten both in the main restaurant (dinner and breakfast) and in the lounge, always having excellent experiences. You can use the facilities of JW Marriott. The Sushi at JW's lounge is outstanding.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This Ritz-Carlton always exceeds my expectations, which is hard because they have already set the bar so high. It's a beautiful, secluded property, and while there are accommodations for kids, it's an adult-oriented hotel, which is an oasis in Orlando.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy Z
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were being hosted by our OEM as part of their annual event at the Orange County Convention Center. As expected, rooms were luxurious and service excellent, the only "grudge" I have is that the commute to the city center and famed international drive outlet malls. There isn't much around the hotel and one needs to go out to enjoy the evening / night life and the taxi commute was expensive. The hotel needs to think about a complimentary and periodic shuttle though I expect that they would want guests to stay on the property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ParagJain
NJ
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Ritz Carlton lived up to expectations. First time and would stay and recommend. The pool bar is a bit removed from the pool but it's nice. The three ducks floating in the pool were living large! The lobby was beautiful with seasonal peonies everywhere. The staff was attentive and the valet service was always prompt. We even got a great deal on the room rate. Definitely worth splurging. It didn't hut that the weather was unseasonably cool. Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2014