“Very clean with inconsistent service”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #18 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
“Very clean with inconsistent service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

As expected at any RC the facilities were awesome. Restaurants were good. Service on some areas was understaffed. Maybe time of year. Inconsistent execution of RC service noted for the stay. The younger students employed at outside pool/restaurant areas didn't come close to displaying traditional can do attitudes. The golf course and staff were great! Would I come back? I don't think so, for price/value there are better options in the Orlando area

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed November 4, 2013

From the waiters in their restaurants, to the valet, to the front desk, these Ritz Grand Lakes employees were fabulous!
I left a note on the reservation that it was my daughters bday. Within minutes of arrival, someone from the front desk brought balloons, cupcakes, cookies, and candy to the room... On the house!
The room was very clean (and I am the type who brings bleach wipes to planes and hotels.)
To top it off, the valet woman with very short hair who brought my car to the front, put new bottles of cold water for my family in the car and took it upon herself to throw away an old empty plastic bottle on the front seat. It was just amazing service all around!!

• Stayed November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The staff was lacking the Ritz service we are used to. It is a beautiful building and our meals were good. The cake we had was AWESOME!! That cake was worth its weight in gold, lol. The balcony was nice and the pool was very pretty, very Floridian. The bathroom, living room and bedroom were spacious and clean, no complaints with the rooms or structure. The check-in and check out staff were just missing that classy and happy to help attitude that we are spoiled by at the Ritz, at other locations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MamaMia77777
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Great location with nice staff . I visited this place during my honeymoon , it was the beat place to stay in !! Great location with nice staff . The price was good too . The only thing is they charge you for your car parking and they also charge for your internet usage which i think they should be complementary .

Stayed November 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2013

As you would expect, the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes is first class all the way. Everything -- the public spaces, the guest rooms, and the service -- is first rate. The hotel is immaculate, the rooms luxurious and comfortable, and the atmosphere serene and peaceful. You will quickly forget you are in Orlando. The hotel is connected by a short causeway to a JW Marriott which shares the manicured, golf course setting with the Ritz-Carlton. Both valet and self-parking (in a surface lot) are available. I tend to prefer self-parking, but be aware that the self-parking lot is a fairly long walk from the hotel, which depending on the weather in Orlando will seem even longer. This is one hotel where valet parking is worth the extra price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was attending a conference at the adjacent JW Marriott, and was placed in the Ritz when the Marriott was fully booked. It is a lovely hotel, with beautiful public spaces, excellent service. My room was clean and spacious. The decoration is luxurious without being over the top. I ate in the lobby lounge one night and the food was delicious, and quickly presented by a gracious and attentive server. However, a Ritz should feel like a Ritz in all respects, since my company was certainly paying Ritz prices! If I had been paying for the room myself, I would have been taken aback by the following: (1) There was a huge stain on one of the bedspreads. Yuck! (2) The cushions and table on the balcony were covered with bird poop. When I turned the cushions over - more bird poop. The night I arrived, I spent some time sitting in the lovely night air. The next morning, I took a look at the balcony and observed with dismay what I had been sitting in. (3) Very few HD television channels. This is always annoying when an HDTV is provided, with the stretched, pixellated picture that results. In a Motel 6, I accept it. In the Ritz, I expect more. (4) The internet service was terrible. If I had been paying the $13/day, I would have been irate, and I did contact my company's event planners to suggest they ask for a refund. I was expected to hurry back to my room at breaks and in the evening to catch up with work. The wifi signal was weak (on my laptop - my phone couldn't even find it), VERY slow, and dropped very frequently. Much of the time it was down more than it was up. One morning at 10 AM, it worked pretty well, so apparently the problem was that the bandwidth wasn't up to it. (There was also an ethernet cable and jack in the room, but they didn't function.) I had a conversation with the hotel manager about it, who apologized and acknowledged that he was aware of the problem. I don't know whether that's good or bad - they admit they have a problem but haven't fixed it. If you're going to host giant conferences, you should be able to accommodate the needs of those attending the conference. I turned off my laptop and watched the World Series, so no great loss for me - but my company did NOT get its money's worth. As I told the hotel manager, if a Budget 8 motel can include free wifi service that is dependable and strong, then there can only be two reasons for the Ritz to CHARGE for it: either it is because they can get away with charging for it, or because they are providing a premium service. Let me tell you - the service was not premium.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago and just DID NOT have the experience we expected. For me, Ritz-Carlton (owned by Marriott) becomes more and more like staying at a Marriott every time I stay at one. The staff seemed to be "put out" every time we asked for something. The room was not as promised (amenities were not there) when we arrived. The concierge was less than responsive and slow to act.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple