“Luxury+ Exceeds Ritz Carlton's Standards”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #20 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Weston, Florida
“Luxury+ Exceeds Ritz Carlton's Standards”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Yes location is very good, easy to get to--BUT the real story is how wonderful the experience is at this hotel--a very classy greeting at reception, a beautiful room perfectly fitted out, super comfortable bed, very clean, excellent gym, wonderful buffet breakfast and a fantastic staff-enough said???

Room Tip: Be prepared to feel very special, the breakfast is very very good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Larry R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Northern Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I only stay at hotels in this price range when attending a business conference with my employer picking up the tab. I’ll note that I could technically afford to spend this much on a family vacation if I wanted to, but for my wife and I the value just isn’t there.

Pluses: The staff. I have stayed at a fair number of similar places and the staff at this one really are extra-attentive. Also, unlike the hotel itself they never act is if they expect a tip – although I certainly did give tips as warranted (e.g. handling the luggage).

Many of the rooms have nice little private balconies. Very welcome.

Typical: Grounds, public and private furnishings, bath décor, bed comfort, room size, etc. are fully what you should expect of a hotel of this class and price range, but nothing extra.

Minuses:
Golf course: If you are a golfer, has to be one of the most boring and unchallenging courses I have ever seen. Nicely tended to but dead flat, and uninteresting design. If you are not a golfer – well, unfortunately your room fee includes a substantial amount needed to contribute to the golf course maintenance.

Parking: Self-parking: If you insist on the self-parking instead of the assumed valet parking your visit starts on a down note as you are treated at that point as a second-class guest. “May I leave my car here [in front of lobby] just while I check in and take my laptop to my room? No sir, we suggest you use the recommended valet parking.” Self parking is not advertised – you need to have researched. And it is about as far away from the hotel as possible – a real delight on a hot Florida afternoon.

Surcharges: The hotel charges extra for anything it can think of. Internet? $10 / day plus tax. Self-parking is high. Shuttle to/from airport (7 miles)? – Forget about it. Get a taxi? Nope – you have to use the so-called limo service (Town Cars), you cannot call an ordinary taxi. 18% mandatory service charge on everything. Most drinks (except a couple of wines by the glass) outrageous. Free breakfast? Ha!

Bottom line: Pay more, get less. If that's your bag, go for it.

Room Tip: Unless you are one of those worried about fires, higher is better at this property.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton for work purposes, found the stay enjoyable, and food extremely high standard. What was annoying was the daily room charge for internet access, which seems steep considering the room costs. Also had issues with the key card system on the room which ended up using 15 new cards and many people looking at the door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
douglaston, ny
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Here's the skinny - if you are looking for a luxury Disney vacation resort or a great escape, the Ritz should be at the top of your list. This hotel resort does not disappoint - it is a first class all around with outstanding service, superb amenities and great restaurants, all situated on a scenic property which is a close drive to Disney attractions. The Ritz is connected to JW Marriot hotel which is likewise luxurious but is more suitable for families as it has a lazy river pool, a sandbox, and arcade and a community kids center. The Ritz has fewer children oriented amenities (a small kiddy pool and "Ritz Kids" which is a drop off day care center for kids 3 and older). The good thing is that you can share the facilities of both hotels. Our room at the Ritz room was adequately spacious and tastefully decorated. The real attraction is the hotel grounds which include a great pool, a golf course and small lake where we rented a multi-person bicycle and leisurely toured the grounds on a winding .5 mile path. There are also zip lines, tennis courts and a gold club. The food is fantastic at the Ritz Vineyard restaurant and at the Marriott Citron restaurant (pork chops are out of this world). I was glad we stayed at the Ritz after first staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge for the first few days of our trip as it was a far better experience - if we did the reverse I would have been sorely disappointed at the downgrade.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
seattle
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just finished a short trip - 3 night to the RC in Orlando this past week. I was going to Orlando for a conference at another hotel and wanted a few days to relax by myself. I had a great time at the RC.
The best -
The service. Kevin, the bartender at the lobby bar as well as the other bartenders at that spot took great care of me and were so fun. It is sometimes lonely being alone at a hotel that is not geared towards single - but I didn't feel that way. And overall, the service - from the pool attendants, to room service waiters, to everyone.
Normans. YUM! I sat at the bar and had several things. Again, great service from the bartender and the food was heavenly, I am still dreaming of the Pork Belly.
Spa. workout room great. I had an Indian scalp and body massage with Andra and it was AMAZING.
Even things like Hertz rental car at the JW attached was super easy and great service.

Areas of Otopportunity -
Room Service. Lots of options, great service and quick (under 20 minutes) but both meals I had were terribly cold. Not "not warm" but cold. It was dissapointing.
Room noise/smoke detectors. My first night I was exhausted and was woken up to the smoke detector beeping (like a dying battery). I tried to put in ear plugs and cover my head with a pillow. I should have complained earlier but hoped it would go away. I called engineering at 6am and they came to look at it - although they could not get it fixed until 9pm that evening after I called to check on it. Also I had a room with a door to another adjoining room and there was no soundproofing. there was a very loud group of youngish people who were up listening to music all night and although not behaving poorly by any stretch - i could still here them. Sort of strange.
Lost and Found. I moved to another hotel for my conference and had left a few small clothing in the hotel room. I called and emailed and suggested they send it over via cab or what not to the other hotel or send it to my home. I heard today that I would have to give them my credit card number as they don't ship lost items to Canada...seemed a little weird.

but like I said - overall great experience but I always think it is important to share any feedback. I would certainly return - I would probably just get a room without an adjoining door and eat more at Normans and less at room service :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tapirgirl
ancaster
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes for 4 nights and 5 days and what a wonderful stay it was! The service was amazing. All the staff were so kind and always eager to help. The resort itself is very classy, it's not too big so everything within it, is very convenient . We ate at Primo next door and Norman's at the ritz which were both outstanding. We stayed in an executive suite which faced the pool, lake,and golf course. The room was so beautiful and large. We ordered ALOT of room service and everything was extremely tasty! There is also so many options. The bed was very comfy and we slept like babies. The pool was stunning. We rented a cabana by the pool for the day and our server for our cabana was awesome! We got massages at the spa, and they were also great. The spa was quite large and has its own private pool located outside. I can go on and on about how great our stay truly was. I would defiantly recommend the ritz in Orlando !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a sales meeting and was blown away by the service. I got in very late on a Thursday evening. I was immediately checked in and shown to my room. After a long day of traveling I wanted a shower and some food. I ordered some room service and hopped in the shower when I got out my dinner was waiting on me. It was very good food as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013