“Disney's best kept hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #24 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Orlando, FL last week. I had a restful and relaxing time. The pool was really enjoyable and the service outside was by far the most attentive.

The room was nice, but somewhat dated. The room size was generous as it had a balcony with a view of the courtyard and pool and golfcourse.

The only thing I didn't like was the poor service we experienced in the lounge. Service was pretty non-existent and both bartenders were pretty slow at taking drink orders and menu selections.

I was disappointed that there wasn't any valet attendants late in the AM as I paid $25 for valet service and ended up parking the car myself and retrieving it in the morning.

The desserts were spectacular which made me forget about the lack of service.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank orderdessert1st
Write a ReviewReviews (2,919)

Reviewed October 31, 2011

After staying at a Ritz-Carlton for the first time, I now completely understand why they are legendary. The level of service and professionalism is mind-boggling. Yes, it is exactly as the rumors say: staff will address you by name, bend over backward to make you happy, and make you feel like royalty. It starts from the moment you check in, when they offer you a bottle of water at the counter. When I asked them whether there was any place where I could buy an Orlando paper for my father (they delivered only the WSJ and USA Today to the rooms), they offered to get it for me and have it sent to my room. I expected to see something appear on my bill for this little service, but it was complimentary. Even though the Ritz has an old money, staid kind of reputation, I didn't feel out of place when I was there. They really seem happy when you ask them for things, which means that you don't feel awful making an extra request or two. Everyone, from the bell hops to the concierge to the spa and restaurant staff were just amazing--quiet, efficient, no nonsense kind of service that makes you wonder how much more functional the world could be if everyone adhered to such standards.

As for creature comforts, well, this hotel was just full of them! The sheets, robes, and towels were the sink-into-them-and-sigh kind of soft. I was a great fan of the little slippers they give you in the room, and I admit to taking home a pair as a souvenir, though I thought I'd long moved past the steal stuff from hotels stage of my life. I was a bit awed by the amount of marble in the bathroom, but it's the Ritz, so I guess it's only to be expected. Housekeeping was top notch, as was turn down service (yay little chocolates). Rooms weren't huge, but they were comfortable and scrupulously clean.

Loved the spa--though I'm not quite sure why they get to be #7 in the nation from Conde Nast Traveler. It was a good spa, but I think I've been to other equally impressive spas, like the Omni Bedford Springs.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

I recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for a business conference. From the moment I arrived, the service was exceptional. I was greeted by the warm and friendly staff when I checked in, and after picking up a package that was waiting for me at the concierge desk, one of the concierge helped me with the elevator and escorted me up to my floor because my hands were full. My room was clean and comfortable and had a balcony view of the garden and golf course. I ordered room service my first night at the hotel and enjoyed several meals while at the conference, and the food and service didn't disappoint. I don't think I've had better hotel coffee anywhere! Possibly my favourite memory from my stay was the turn-down service - a small touch, but everything is in the details. I would highly recommend staying here for business or pleasure. Just one word of caution: if you are planning on using in-room internet access, there is a $9.95 charge for every 24 hour period.

1  Thank happytraveler125
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The rooms and decor are all you would expect of a Ritz Carlton property. Good bedrooms. We had 2 connecting deluxe rooms which gave us plenty of space for a family. Good room service. Staff are very good. Good breakfast - not the best buffet breakfast in the world, but covers most of the things you need. One nice touch was "snack packs" (eg. little bags of granola) for you to take away and munch on during the day.

If you are visiting the theme parks (as we were) and don't want to stay in an on-resort hotel, then this is a great choice. You can leave the crowds behind and come back to your very civilised hideaway. It is very close to all the parks. It is also good value.

They had very nice touches for the children, including a RC wristband which enabled them to go and get a little tub of ice cream from the front desk whenever they wanted.

The reasons why it did not get 5* from us are threefold. First, although there is a decent enough pool, the hotel seemed to have little atmosphere. It seems as if it does not quite know what to be - business/conference hotel, resort hotel etc. This is reflected in the second reason, which is the restaurants. We found the dining options a bit limited, although you can easily walk to the neighbouring Marriot which adds a couple of options. We had mixed experiences at the Vineyard grill. However, I must report that after we were not very happy with the food, the F&B manager pulled out all the stops the following night and everything was perfect. That reflects the quality of staff which you would expect at a Ritz Carlton.

Finally, they charged us $25 a day to park our car! Admittedly that was for valet parking, but they still charged something like $15 or $18 a day to park it yourself in a car park near the hotel. I am happy to pay for parking at a hotel in Manhattan or the middle of Paris, but not in the middle of Florida. Unbelievable. They should just stick $15 on to the room rate and save a lot of aggravation.

We did not play golf, but the course looked beautifully kept.

All in all we had a great stay. Late August was a fantastic time to go to Orlando as there were no queues at all in the theme parks, and the weather was great (apart from one late afternoon downpour). We did not find it too hot or humid at all.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Voyager212
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This is a review specifically for the Ritz Spa. I stayed at the attached JW Marriott. The spa is located right in the middle of the Ritz and Marriott. Despite this, the amenities are extremely private and very quiet. I arrived an hour early to relax before my massage. No one was there so I basically had the women's locker room and the pool to myself. I did a few laps in the pool before using the hot tub in the locker room and the steam room before having some tea in the lounge and a few snacks. My lomi lomi massage was wonderful and very relaxing. I wish I had done another treatment!

Reviewed October 19, 2011

To complain about, but after 4 days at a conference, I pleased to say they did a flawless job.
My biggest impression was from the great staff. Everyone was welcoming and service oriented. Every staff member wanted to help and provide that extra level of service. Ate at the lobby bar, Normans, Vineyard grill and had two 500 person conference lunches and every meal was suburb.
Wonderful pool, again the staff made sure my family was comfy on the lounge with the extra towels.
Room was richly appointed and super clean. Turndown service with chocolate.
Ok, one item, don't nickel and dime me ($9.95 a day) on wireless in the room. Add it on to the nightly room charge, we won't notice.
Again, the folks at the Ritz did a great great job. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank CliveWoodrow
Reviewed October 13, 2011

A co-worker and I just attended a conference held at the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes for 3 nights. I have stayed in a lot of great hotels and I knew that the Ritz was a world class hotel, but I was just really amazed and impressed. The place was just awesome. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The food was wonderful. We ate dinner in the Vineyard and it was one of the best steaks I have ever had in a hotel restaurant. I just felt so pampered and appreciated. I had a double room with a balcony and a view of the golf courses and the lakes. I really did not want to come back home. I don't know how I will do it, but I've got to stay at another Ritz. I did not know what I was missing until now!

1  Thank vcugrad9413