“Good as motels go”

Howard Johnson Inn Airport Florida Mall
Ranked #240 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The first room I got had not been serviced. Staff apologized profusely and moved me to
a room that had been serviced. They do fix problems, if problems are brought to their attention. If you are too lazy to walk 50 feet to the motel office then please don't write tripadvisor reviews.

In the room that I was moved to within 20 minutes.
1) Ice cold AC(florida summer so this was appreciated)
2) 3 mbps wireless internet
3) Room was clean and comfortable
4) vending machines were reasonably priced, 75 cents for a can of soda at a hotel these days is decent.
5) Rooms look like they were newly renovated
6) Sheets nice and clean
7) Refrigerator and Microwave, In room safe and ironing board
8) On a public bus route, if you need that

What hotel does not have
Swimming pool- the motel doesnt have one which is okay since I dont use it anyway but some people might want one.
Airport shuttle- It really should be called howard johnsons florida mall.

A note about the general area
This hotel is actually one of the better motels ive seen on the Orange Blossom Trail/US 441 in Orlando. Contrary to some of the other reviews I didn't see any signs of prostitutes or unsavory characters just one rather eccentric harmless old lady. This motel is not in a holiday hotel area, its a hotel that allows you to get a decents nights sleep, surf the internet, get up and get out quickly with easy access to 528 and turnpike. It is next to a major road so you will hear road noise, but it shouldn't prevent a good nights sleep.

It is a very good clean comfortable motel, it is not a hotel and its unfair to judge it as such.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Airport Florida Mall, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

As the new GM of the Howard Johnson, I thank you for the time your spent reviewing our hotel, and will make sure that the staff sees your positive review. Come see the new improvements at the Howard Johson Lewis Belle GM

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked the hotel throug internet, so when we arrive was already prepaid. The room was dirty, no housekeeping, ants everywere, coffe machine and blowdryer broken. We had to call recepcionist al midnight to ask for clean towels for the next day.

Too noisy, you wont get a good sleep, THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Airport Florida Mall, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 407 859 5410

Lewis Belle General Manager

Reviewed April 7, 2012

FIRST- THIS location is on ORANGE BLOSSOM TRAIL, 1 that is not listed on Trip Advisor (that I can find). Next, I’ll have to say that as we pulled into this property, it seemed like there was quite a bit of activity for late, late night. As I checked in, I was aware that the laundry was being folded- right in front of the front desk; i suppose it is an effective use of time if not many people come in(?). The 2 men were friendly and courteous, but when i walked to the second floor door, the magnetic key did not work. on the way back down the stairs i just happen to notice an empty Snapple bottle next to a cig butt at the bottom stair. An inconvenience, but- they made me a new one and 1 guy was nice enough to walk me up and try it (walking by the Snapple bottle). The room is very "old Florida". double beds on the small side, musty smell bordering on cigarette scent, no phone in the room (hummm,- my cell phone is not charged, what if i need to call?). When morning came, I headed for the free continental breakfast and again saw the Snapple bottle and cig butt. Let me just say that breakfast is "grab & go" NOT at ALL "sit & eat". there were a TOTAL of 6 chairs, -by now taken. The selection was: 4 or 5 types of small box cereals, vacuum packed bagels or muffins and milk and coffee. They had run out of cream cheese packs. There is 1 PC to share there. MAJOR point: There is a BUS STOP directly in front of this property, maybe 20 yards from the drive up, so people were starting to gather for the bus and work. Now, if you need public transportation, this is a PLUS, but it is a NEGATIVE is you are on vaca. About 5 pm I return to hotel and see that no one on staff has bothered to remove the trash at the bottom of the stairs (Snapple:). Needless to keep repeating myself about the silly bottle, as the lack of work ethic is evident. It's just that you wonder what other stuff is being overlooked.......

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for a one week stay. After my wife dropped me off at work, she went to check in. When she came back to pick me up, she was terrified. She said the hotel was in a bad section of town and she believed the occupant in the next room was a prostitute. My wife heard men come and go from her room the entire time I was at work, and heard one man say, "I can't now, now I'm broke" after the woman suggested going somewhere. I reserved judgement until I saw the hotel and area for myself and I wish she was exaggerating or paranoid. But she wasn't. I was even nervous about staying there, and I definitely didn't want my wife staying there while I was at work for the next week--including one day trip out of town. So I called Hotwire and explained the situation but they refused to refund our money even though we were not comfortable about our personal safety (including a Hotwire supervisor hanging up on me pretty much by saying, "Please stay on the line for a short survey" and sending me to the survey).

Shortly after we got to the hotel, a family was leaving. 10 pm on a Friday night during Easter weekend? The desk clerk came to our room--after she knocked on the other door and there were three men behind her. Who does that? Investigating and you don't get the "complainant's" story first?

We left $333 on the table--which we could not afford--and checked into another hotel close to the airport for more money than we really wanted to spend but our safety is worth more than that.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dodgerzfan1220
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Airport Florida Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time provide us your feedback. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at our property and I want to ensure you that our guests comfort and safety are our top priority and I am glad that you felt that we handled your experience well even if we unable to remedy the entire situation.

I have recently became the GM of the property and can assure you we are working hard to to make improvements. As we speak we are upgrading the grounds, installing new bedding, and addressing your security concerns. Lee Saylor

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Just stayed here and it is a good basic hotel.
The staff were friendly, room clean and comfortable.
Very handy location to the freeway.

• Stayed: March 2012

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Howard Johnson International Airport. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels. As the new GM of the Howard Johnson, I thank you for your review, and will make sure that the staff sees your review. Come see the new improvements at the Howard Johson.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We booked this hotel on one of the busiest weekdays in February, looking for a place to stay before we flew home.
This hotel is located on a busy road, but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel room itself had noise from outside. It was roomy and clean. The curtains and linnens all seemed to be new. The only issue we had was a missing TV remote, however when we contacted the front desk, they courteously saw to our problem and resolved it promptly. All of their staff were friendly and polite.
This is a good value hotel if you are looking for something reasonably priced this close to the airport.

Room Tip: There are no elevators to the second level, so if you have lots of luggage, try to request a ground...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

As the new GM of the Howard Johnson, I thank you for the time your spent reviewing our hotel, and will make sure that the staff sees your positive review. Come see the new improvements at the Howard Johson.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Was traveling from Ohio to Florida on my motorcycle and need a place to stay for the evening. Room was clean and the front desk staff friendly. Lots of places to eat nearby. For passing through it was everything I needed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us and were glad evrything was to your satisfaction. Anytime you are in town drop and we will be very glad to serve you.. Lewis Belle GM