“Wonderful spot, but in danger of losing its edge.”

Disney's Beach Club Villas
Ranked #100 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Detroit, Michigan
“Wonderful spot, but in danger of losing its edge.”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This is one of our favorite spots. The location is great, the grounds are beautiful, and there's plenty to do with the family. However, with the prices they charge, they need to do better. Typical of what I've observed with timeshares, rooms are not updated frequently enough. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped, but they're overdue for new upholstery and updated furniture. The staff is good, but not great as they should be for a high-end resort. Also, a huge pet peeve --- anyplace that charges these rates should have free internet access. That said, the pool, location and atmosphere of the place are great and I'd love to go back. But please, Disney, don't lose your edge and take us for granted.

2 Thank MichBustrav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was my first stay in Disney and when I tell you that I did research, I did research!!! For weeks! I researched every single Disney hotel and all of their reviews and this is the hotel I picked for my family which includes a 3.5 year old. The location is definitely the best and if you read every other review on here, practically every review agrees saying the location is excellent. It's in the middle of everything. You can walk to Epcot and you can walk to the boardwalk. My parents stayed at the Boardwalk Villas (because there wasn't any availability at the beach club when they decided to come and it worked out perfect. They were a short 7 minute walk around the lagoon. The beach club is RIGHT on the beach (obviously) so if your a beach lover then this is the resort for you. At night for the kids they have Disney movies outside, they have campfires to make smores and the Beach club has the best pool out of any Disney hotel. A Disney rep actually told me this and I agree! The kiddie pool at the Beach club is the BEST for kids. It has a sand bar right in the middle of the pool and a sandy bottom throughout and its 2 feet deep which was perfect for my 3 year old. Usually kiddie pools go up to the kids ankles but this one he could walk through and the water was up to his waist. He LOVED IT. And it was HUGE! I could actually sit on a lounge chair and watch him play in the pool with all the other kids. Everyone at the resort was SO accommodating. I stayed in a villa and I assumed that I would have a washer and dryer because on the website for the villa it says "In room washer and dryer available" I guess you have to request this because I assumed all villa's had them and I packed laundry sheets assuming I can do laundry in my room and my room didnt have a washer or dryer so I suggest that if you want a washer or dryer in your villa you should specifically request this. But we did have a mini fridge and microwave which was useful. If you have young children, THIS is the hotel for you! Everything was perfect! The character breakfast at Cape May was amazing! Dont think twice. This is the hotel to stay at!!!!

2 Thank LongIslandMom81
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Love this resort. The pool is amazing. Not great that oversold situations sometimes push hotel staff to allocate a handicapped room to families with small children. Showers are too hard with little ones. Also there needs to be additional areas to dry clothes/ towels. The clothes line in the bathrooms are not enough space for all wet items and the items do not dry overnight

• Stayed April 2011
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We own a DVC and love the location of this villa. Easy access to both Epcot and the studios make this our favorite. Along with the best pool in Disney.

Teena is such a gem and she goes out of her way to greet each and every guest. We arrived around 2 pm for check in but our room was not ready. We requested a ground floor with a wood or epcot view so we understood.

We got our text about 4 pm that our room was ready. We had our keys so we just went to the room and went in. We had a 1br. villa on the ground floor facing the woods.

The first thing I noticed was a large spot on the sofa that appeared to be dried blood. It was gross, so I flipped the cushion. But it really needed to be replaced. The villa was good but again, it is showing her age. Just little things that I notice like the knobs are very loose on the all the cabinets, paint chipping from normal use. Stains here and there.

We did like having the room and the kitchen. The wash machine and dryer were well used! Our teenage soon liked that he had his own sink and we had ours. Plenty of counter space and storage for toiletries. The closet was great and we called for extra hangers. I liked that I could close the bedroom door and bathroom door but the son still had access to his bathroom area and toilet.

We had two days of terrible rain and we did go to the parks but did spend more time in the room than normally.

Our son enjoyed the fitness center for his runs. The parking was very very far away! But we liked that we don't hear cars going around.

Unlike the value with great food court and tiny rooms, we find the deluxe resorts have wonderful rooms but lack quick food options. I pick better room, I can find food.

We continue to return to BCV for the location and the pool.

Bertsvaca
Reviewed April 1, 2011

This was our first stay at Disney's Beach Club Villas. Having stayed all over the property at Disney we know the quality of Disney resorts. We received a main level room which (sort of) faced the villa pool. It was about a 10 minute walk to the lobby, so not an ideal location. Our room was falling apart and in total disrepair. All of the fixture attachments in the washroom were detached and dangling off the wall, our coffee table top was not affixed to the bottom, the mini fridge front had been kicked in and majorly damaged and when we open the curtains we found a huge random screw on the window sill (not great for a family with young children). When we called maintenance they did come, and fix the table and half of the fixtures but not all. The sleeper bed was horrendously uncomfortable and the room decor was beyond bland. We had a much nicer room for $37 for a night off property the week before!

All of that said, the walking distance to the rear entrance of Epcot made it toally worthwhile. I would stay there for that feature alone.

Stormalong Bay, the much anticipated "special" pool area was basically just a bunch of pool areas strung together. The only interesting feature was the sand bottom which the kids liked. Biggest disappointment was that although they have a "sort of" lazy river, they CHARGE you $3 to rent a tube for an hour or $10 for the day. With the amount of money it costs to stay there this should be a non-issue. This really irritated us.

Room Tip: Ask for something near the lobby or the beachfron.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bertsvaca
Largo, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I have been staying on Disney property for more than a decade, and estimate I have stayed at at least half of the resorts. Since having children, our priorities have changed a bit, and more and more I'm preferring the EPCOT area villas. The last few years we've stayed at Boardwalk 1BR villas by snagging and amazing rate during off-season times. Highly recommended, especially if you can get a good rate. But if the price is the same and you can snag a room at the Beach Club, GO FOR IT! That's the position I found myself in this spring. We planned a last-minute trip to Disney for just 2 days, and as a passholder managed to get 42% off the normal rate. For just one night, we chose to stay in the cheaper Studio room, and it was just fine. While the 1BR is certainly nice for longer stays, the Studio turned out to be great. We fit with plenty room to spare, even with the sleeper sofa set up in addition to a pack n' play. Plus the kids weren't tempted to talk to each other and stay up late because we were all in the same room. And going to sleep a little earlier was good for us. The Studio comes with a mini fridge, microwave, sink, and some plates/dishes, so we were able to eat cheap in the morning by bringing our own bagels, jelly, fruit, etc. We checked in online prior to arrival, so all we had to do was pick up our keys in the morning and they texted us our room # when it was ready (around official check-in time of 4pm).
Now, what makes the Beach Club so special compared to other resorts? 1) The proximity to EPCOT. It is THE closest hotel, and there's something to be said for being back in your own room after watching fireworks while most people haven't even made it to the bus stop yet. Many rooms also have stellar views of the EPCOT fireworks right from your own balcony. Fireworks in PJs, anyone? You can also take a ferry to Hollywood Studios, so that's 2 parks without having to use the Disney buses. You try lugging a double stroller off and on the bus and see how highly you rate this feature! 2) The pool! I don't know why the Disney website does not show more pictures of the pool - the ones they show truly don't do it justice. I would have taken my own and uploaded here, but I was too busy playing with my kids! The "kiddie pool", called that only because it's 3ft deep, has a mass of fake sand in the middle. I saw kids of all ages, as well as adults, playing in the sand. It's not as easy to sculpt as real sand, but my kids loved it nonetheless, and we live in Florida about 5 minutes from the beach, so they are quite used to the real thing. It's great because it brushes right off of you (unlike real sand which sticks to you in every crevice and refuses to leave). Then the next pool has a sort of "rambling bayou" where a current can keep you floating along. The last section of pool has a very large water slide, as well as a pirate ship with a smaller water slide (my toddler and preschooler preferred this one). The Beach Club also offers nightly campfires with marshmallow roasting, and a movie on the beach. We ended up spending the morning at EPCOT, late afternoon at the pool, and went back into the park that evening for a few more rides and fireworks. A lovely day at Disney indeed.
The Beach Club has many other things to offer, and any of the villas in general are awesome compared to other Disney rooms. Despite being spring break, I found the hotel to be very quiet, even in the pool area. Service was excellent. Man who brought up our luggage made sure we had everything we needed (got us some extra pillows).
My first choice when staying at Disney!

Room Tip: level 3+,EPCOT view - fireworks from your room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed, for the first time, at the BCV in March after a cruise on the Disney Dream. We are DVC members and have stayed many times at almost all of the WDW resorts over the years.
When we arrived at the Beach Club our room was not ready. We did the online check-in, our experience in the past has been if we do the online check in and tell them what time we will arrive the room is ready. We were not disappointed that the room was not ready at 10am but thought that it would be ready before 4pm. it was not. We had a dinner reservation at The Grand that evening so really thought we would be in room earlier then 4. And when we checked in the process took a good amount of time. I was a little frustrated only because this is why I do the online check in, as to avoid the standing around checking in part! LOL Oh well! So much for that. I am not sure if doing the online check in is worth it if you do not get your room any earlier...you do not save yourself from standing in line and you do not get any of your room requests. So...what is the advantage to doing it? In the past we have had good results with doing online check in....so maybe we will try one more time. :)
As I said we have never stayed at the Beach club Villa's...we have stayed at the Yacht & Beach Club side and loved it! When we checked in nobody told us that the Villa's were not in the regular building, I guess we should have thought maybe they were not but we got lost anyway! It was a mess! Once we figured out where the Villa buildings were it was pretty easy to figure out how to get around. It would have been nice if someone at check in had asked us if we were familiar with the DVC area.

Once we figured things out it was nice being located so close to EPCOT. That is one of the pluses that we liked about the regular Y&BC...location...location...location!We were there for the opening of the Flower and Garden Festival...we attend each year and were not disappointed in it this year.

The Beach Club Villas, in our opinion, are not one of our favorite resorts...they were kind of cheap feeling and did not smell fresh....picky??? I don't know! My parents stayed with us in a 1 bedroom villa...it has 2 balconies, my dad went out onto the balcony in the living room and came back in and said it was too dirty out there to touch the railing, he said it had not appeared to have been cleaned in a long time. I did go out and look and it was pretty dirty. Disney has always been very ontop of things as far as cleanliness and ...well...their standards have always been high in the resorts we have stayed at....although we have found that in the last few visits this has not been the case. I am going to write a review on our most recent stay at Bay Lake Towers...please read it if you have plans to stay there anytime soon. As we have found out...Disney is really slipping in their housekeeping and their customer service.
We would not stay here again. Although we would stay in the regular Y&BC side.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple