“Almost awesome.”

Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd
Ranked #156 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I did not spend a lot of time in my room but when I did I liked it. I did not use a lot of things that was offered by the hotel but I could see leisure areas and other things that are meant to make your stay pleasant.

Location:
South Orlando. Close to Universal Studio and Convention Center. 10 minutes from the airports via tolls and 25-30 via free roads.

Rooms:
Nice rooms with a microwave, AC, iron, coffeemaker, LCD, iphone (older type) docking station, fridge. If you want to have water water in the room you can go to CVS or Walgreens. I did not find it problematic. However, offering free water would be a nice gesture.

Price:
In my opinion it was a fair price for the standard offered. I have paid more for less. Self-parking is $9 which is acceptable. Unfortunately, internet was paid.

Restaurant:
I do not know what this hotel offers regarding food but there a lot to choose from around.

Room Service:
Room service performs well and rooms are cleaned regularly. I like the self-spa set waiting for me in the room after checkin. A small thing but very enjoyable.

Cleanliness:
Overall the room was clean but some small insects were in the bathroom.

General recommendation:
A very good hotel if you came to Orlando for leisure or business. Good location, cheap parking. However, since some of us stayed in other hotels, I was told that you can get cheaper options for the same standard in other hotels including free parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Thank you for your critique. I appreciate your review of the hotel and sharing with our Trip Advisor readers. I do apologize for the deficiencies you mentioned. I am confident that although not major, they are exception rather than what our guests can expect from our hotel. I hope you can visit again soon. Happy Holidays.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,263)

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

From the outside this hotel looks fresh and new. Same with the lobby and public spaces. The executive lounge is well tended. But the rooms need refurbishment. My tub had issues getting the water up to the showerhead. The sink has a crack in it. Carpet was wearing thin in spotsm

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

I do appreciate your feedback and the overall positive review of the Crowne Plaza Universal. We are in the planning staging of refreshing our guest rooms and in the meantime continue our maintenance of our rooms as well. We should have made the corrections to the items you mentioned and I apologize that the sink and tub diverter items were not previously identified. I will address with our Chief Engineer and we will take immediate corrective measures. Thank you again and I hope you come back to visit soon. Happy Holidays.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed over for the thanksgiving holiday, and I will say that the hotel on its own is quite decent. They have complimentary shuttles to all the 3 parks which is quite nice.
However, a few things causes me to rethink about this place :
1. Absence of free internet. In this day & age, this strategy needs to be changed.
2. No water in rooms. I do not mind paying for it, as I have seen in many hotels where they state the charge if you use the bottle. Add to that, the vending machine only took coins/no notes. The experience of trying to search for drinking water at 1 AM was not fun.
3. They told me that parking will not be free in the future..

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kaldoot
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing. In our continuing efforts tto be competitive in our market we find that for all three of the amenities you highlighted many full service hotels do charge for all three. I will make mention that our IHG Rewards members do receive complimentary WIFI and the Platinum and Gold Elite members also receive complimentary parking. I am sorry that by doing so you rated us only average. We certainly aspire to achieve much higher scores from our guests.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza over the Thanksgiving holiday. Walking in to the hotel the lobby was beautiful. After a 26 hour ride in the car we had a painless check in (as an IHG Rewards member you get free WiFi). However, when we got to our room the mattress were leaning against the wall and sheets crumpled in a corner. We called down and they said someone would bring us up new keys. After waiting ten minutes we went back to the front desk who gave us new keys (apparently they weren't told in a timely manner what was going on). Other than that snafu, everything else was average.

The rooms themselves need a little refreshing (loud lights, old pillows) and the lobby and pool area seemed really nice. All in all, the Crowne Plaza was your typical nice hotel. Could have been better, could have been worse.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

I certainly appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience. I am so sorry for our error in assigning your original room. We mistakenly updated a room to be ready for occupancy when in fact the room was designated for a deep cleaning, a program we continue throughout the year to keep rooms fresh and in good condition. I can understand why you would feel the experience was only average after this initial impression. I have personally reviewed with our team to ensure we are much more careful when updating our records. Thank you again for providing such important feedback to us.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights for our Disney vacation and had a great stay. The junior suite was well-appointed with a nice view. We utilized the Executive Lounge each morning for breakfast (your standard continental fair: Bagels, yogurt, fruit, coffee, cereal, etc.) and free wifi. The concierge was prompt at scheduling shuttles or calling a cab. The shuttle service was definitely convenient for avoiding the $15/day parking fee at Disney (they have 2 AM drop off times and 2 PM pickup times, so if you can't work with that schedule, you'll have to find an alternative). Everything was clean and well appointed, so no complaints with the hotel. It was a considerable discount to the themed hotels on Disney property, which was great.

One thing to note: There is no free wifi in the rooms, which is why I'm giving it a 4-star rating. As we were there for vacation, it didn't really affect our stay, but if I were there on business (pretty much the only other reason I'm in Orlando) that would have been problematic. In this day and age, that kind of nickel and diming (it was like $7/day for 24 hour access in-room) is a little archaic. If I can go to the Mcdonald's up the road, buy a $1 coffee and use their wifi all day, at $80/night for a room, free wifi is not unreasonable.

Room Tip: The junior suite comes with a mini-fridge and a pull out couch, so definitely go with the suite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing. Your thorough critique is very helpful to our Trip Advisor readers. You highlighted some very good tips for our future visitors to take note. I am sorry that we missed the 5th Star due to internet costs. Internet is complimentary in our public areas and to our IHG Rewards members. I would encourage you to enroll in IHG Rewards during your next visit to take advantage of this. I do sincerely appreciate your comments.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

A clean modern hotel near to the city centre and all attractions including the convention centre. Great pool and gym and the bar staff are great - after the first night they know exactly what drink you require!
I would recommend this hotel

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate you sharing with our Trip Advisor readers. We hear time and time again how relaxing our pool area is to our guests. The Aqua Bar (Tiki Bar) is also a favorite and our two wonderful bartenders, Betty and Jennifer, love to know our guests. In many times its a family atmosphere by the time our guests depart. Thank you for your very kind comments.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Clean enough, not uncomfortable, decent coffee. Room a little worn. Loud neighbors one night. (Too tired to call the front desk, I put pillows over my ears!) Desk staff reasonably helpful and courteous. Parking difficult one night, front desk offered to comp valet. Fine as a resort alternative, not a good choice if traveling on business.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you encountered noisy neighbors and really wish you had called to let us know. Our security staff is very quick to respond to and address these infrequent situations so that our guests may enjoy the peace and privacy that is deserved. I do hope you give us another opportunity to be your host. You will find that we are accommodating to both leisure and business clientele. I appreciate your comments.