“Great hotel - comfy rooms, nice amenities, $13 internet, free parking”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal
Ranked #139 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel - comfy rooms, nice amenities, $13 internet, free parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had a comfortable stay at this hotel..

Rooms and Amenities
- The room was comfortable and clean. Very clean - I was impressed.
- Amenities were a beautiful pool outside and patio. It was busy but not too busy.
- Parking was free and ample - sometimes it could be hard to find a spot at night, but I always got one.

Location
- Close to some restaurants if you get hungry at night.
- Walking distance to Sea World
- Five minute drive from Universal Studios - if you take the back road, you can avoid the I4-bound traffic which is a significant advantage. It is reasonable to pop back to the hotel for a bit to re-fuel and then return to the parks within an hour.
- I-Ride Trolley is right outside if you're hoping to take public transit.

Staff
- I only interacted with the check-in staff. At first I thought they were rude, but actually, they ended up helping me out by changing my room to a higher floor so that I could have a quieter stay.

Costs
- $13 for internet per device was an excessive charge I thought.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back in 2007 and while I spent most of my time in the theme parks, the hotel suited my needs as it is in a good location if you are visiting Sea World and Universal. But it's pretty basic and definitely more for the business traveler. Staying here again this week--I feel the same way.

Since my original stay they have remodeled and I almost didn't recognize the hotel. I came with my children, to accompany my husband on business. While they did enjoy the pool, and the hotel is family friendly, it is not where I would choose to bring my family for a vacation. It just feels too cramped--room wise and just space wide, on the hotel grounds.

The only staff I encountered were at the concierge desk. They were less than helpful, and seemed more interested in holding their own conversation.

The food at the pool bar is reasonably priced for a hotel, but the service is iffy--depends on which bartender you get. Which is unfortunate, since your gratuity is included, and one of the barmaids is pretty dismissive and unattentive.

The air conditioning systems in the room are loud!!! When they kick on at night they wake you up, and my husband is a heavy sleeper. If watching TV, you have to turn the volume up because the AC drowns everything out. There is also no fan in the bathroom and the tub drains slowly. But the hotel and the rooms are clean.

All and all, if I had to choose a business hotel, this would be a good choice. But a place to vacation in Orlando with the family, no--look elsewhere, preferably a resort that's more relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I travel through out the US and the Crowne Plaza on Universal Blvd in Orlando, FL is by far my favorite hotel. From the GM to all the staff, they treat you like your family. I highly reccommend this hotel to all my family, friends and co-workers.

Room Tip: Not a bad room to choose from.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We visited Orlando as part of our honeymoon and were very pleased with the Crowne Plaza. The hotel is very clean and modern, staff helpful and friendly and in a great location 2mins walk from International drive with a trolly (bus) stop outside providing transport along Universal bvd. and International every 20mins. The hotel also provides a shuttle service (free) to Universal and Disney. The staff could not have been more helpful and went out of their way to ensure our stay was a good one. There is also a very nice outdoor pool and gym.. plus an outdoor bar for the warm Florida evenings!

On the down side the hotel does charge quite considerably for items not included in the booking price. Late check out was $50 for a 2:00pm checkout (after we had stayed 8 nights), WIFI is $12 per day per device (although free wifi available in the lobby, a bottle of beer in the bar $6.40 (ouch!).. etc.

Be confident staying here you will have a great time... just watch out for the overheads as they can add up to a considerable bill after one week... well done Crowne Plaza great hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
swansea.wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for 13 days after having a bad experience at the lucaya resort kissimmee.we just turned up at the hotel after staying here before .and explained our problem to Lisandra the front desk manager she gave us the quite floor on the 12 floor we did not hear any noise throughout our stay(many thanks for that)and she also gave us a good rack rate for the room.she could not do enough to help us and is a major asset to the hotel.we checked into our room with 2 queen beds,nice seating area and great tv and workstation.also nice spotless bathroom,the room overlooked universal blvd(see photos) no noise could be heard.all the staff are good at the hotel from the front desk to the cleaners and especially douglas the concierge who could not make more of a fuss over my daughter if he tried.was always helpfull suggesting places to eat or visit and always smiling.the hotel has a buisness center with free use of computers and printer.also has a good gym but the star of the hotel is the pool and hot tub.the pool is not huge but is always warm and quite. we went on holiday in late september and the pool was never full.free car park does get full but always managed to park whatever time we came back to hotel.in all a better stay than we had before this is probably due to the fact we had a great room,peace and quite and a fantastic front desk manager Lasandra.many thanks for making our holiday one of the best ever The Davies family

Room Tip: a higher floor above 7th
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Very good hotel for the conference centre and Universal. I thought it would be within walking distance but underestimated the distances in Florida! Offered choice of free wifi or breakfast for $16 per day and was glad I chose the wifi.
Good pool - warm enough for me (and I like warm!) and hot-tub, too. Fitness centre and business centre looked good but didn't use them except to print out my boarding pass.
The highlight was the poolside bar - entertaining and professional barstaff who can tell a mean anecdote (you know who you are, Shaun!) while serving good burgers and cocktails.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bonnybridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for 2 weeks in August/September 2012. The hotel is in a good central location if staying in the International Drive area. It is located a couple of blocks away from I Drive and is only 5 minutes walk to get there. There are a couple of restaurants across the car park from the hotel..we ate in he Italian twice which offers good pizzas and is reasonably priced. There is a newly renovated pool area which is nice. Our room looked over the pool and also had a view in the distance of the Universal theme parks.

The main benefit of the hotel is that it runs complimentary shuttle buses to all Disney and Universal theme parks which leave he hotel at various times. You have to put your name down for these the day before to ensure you get a seat on the bus. A great idea by the hotel and is very cost effective for the guests.

The hotel offers taxis at the front however as with most hotels these are more expensive. To get to Florida Mall you can walk to I Drive and get a public bus (think it is number 42) for only a few dollars. The journey is about 40 minutes however I is nice to see other parts of the city. A taxi back from the mall will cost about 30 dollars.

The room we were in was spacious and clean however could do with a refurbishment. We stayed in 2009 and the rooms were not as tired as they were this time. There was nothing wrong with the room, just a bit of paint and a couple of newer furnishings required. There is a fridge in the room which is useful for storing drinks and other items that you can purchase from shops on I Drive.

All in all, a good location of hotel, great services with complimentary buses to and from theme parks and only let down slightly by the rooms being a little tired.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple