“A Lovely Afternoon Experience”

Garden View Tea Room
Ranked #2 of 53 Coffee & Tea in Orlando
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Garden View Tea Room provides the kind of experience one really desires when they think of afternoon tea - beautifully patterned china, a bowl of sugar cubes and tongs, finger sandwiches, and, of course, tea. If you're on the fashion-forward side, this may be something you'll want to consider when heading over to enjoy tea.

The best values, and most full "experiences," are the prix fixe menus, which include a pot of tea, as well as a few courses of small food items, which vary depending on the service you select. My traveling companions (Mara, Ryan, and Tabby) and I all selected the Buckingham Tea, which was the lower end of the services, but held the most appeal for us. First, our teas were brought out in individual pots. There are a wide variety to select from, and we ordered the three Garden View signature blends - Mara and Ryan, the Mad Hatter, a flavorful tea with heavy fruit notes; Tabby, the Princess Breakfast, a decaf Rooibos blend with a light hint of strawberry; and myself, the Garden View blend, which was reminiscent of a lighter Early Grey. All of the teas were quite good - and all but myself made use of the sugar cubes (I prefer my tea straight, which is definitely not for everyone), though Tabby also requested honey, which was brought to her in a tiny glass jar.

The first food items brought to us were a strawberry tart and that quintessential tea time item: a scone. These particular scones also had golden raisins in them - not a favorite of mine, but not a deal breaker, either. Accompanying these items were strawberry jam, clotted cream, and lemon curd. My personal favorite of the three was the lemon curd, though the clotted cream added a nice, rich creaminess to the party. The strawberry jam was good, as well, but with the strawberry tart alongside, it seemed like slight strawberry overkill. The tart was a very nice addition, the jam inside very thick and sweet to compliment the buttery crust.

The next course was finger sandwiches: a selection of five sandwiches and one small onion tart. First on the plate was the quintessential tea sandwich: cucumber, watercress, and cream cheese. This one was very light and refreshing - definitely an excellent way to start. Next was egg salad, which typically I am not a fan of, as I dislike hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise, and, indeed, this was my least favorite of the set. Not particularly bad, though - creamy with a somewhat strong kick of onion. Following that was the smoked salmon: a very nice, creamy blend - not overly fishy, by any means. Next was my personal favorite: curry chicken salad. The flavors of this one were quite bright and full - if you're a fan of curry, this is definitely a great item. The pear and Gorgonzola was the last sandwich on the plate. The Gorgonzola had a very strong flavor, which was cut down somewhat by the sweetness of the pears. It may come as a bit of a surprise, but the onion tart served as the palate cleanser. The onions are caramelized to the point of being quite sweet, and it's a good close to the sandwich course.

Finally, we arrived at most people's favorite course: dessert. There was an option of a pineapple mango trifle, strawberries and creme, or two pastries from the dessert tray brought around by our server. Mara, Tabby, and Ryan all opted for the trifle, which was quite large for a one person dessert, and I chose two pastries: a Margarita cream swan and an eclair filled with chocolate chantilly cream. The trifles were delightfully fruity, and the eclair was largely what you would expect: creamy and a strong chocolate flavor - very good, but not reinventing the wheel. The Margarita cream swan reminded me a bit of key lime pie, which was perfectly fine by me.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this experience for those who enjoy a slightly more refined experience (though you don't necessarily need to be particularly refined to enjoy your time there - in fact, it's probably a little more fun if you aren't.)

5  Thank JoshK47
There are newer reviews for Garden View Tea Room

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I love this place! My sister and I go for tea time every day while we are in Disney. The little snacks and champagne are great. The staff, tea, and treats are wonderful. Its definitely a must try activity and its so peaceful!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had tried for a couple of years to book an Advanced Dining Reservation for this event. Luckily I was successful this trip and even managed to get a time that worked for us. We arrived 15 minutes ahead of time and checked in. In a few minutes we are greeted and led to a table by a window. Our server Dottie was quite wonderful and explained everything to us in detail. We placed our orders and our first ever tea began. Our daughter chose the Princess Kate Tea with Vanilla Earl Grey, me the Grand Tea with the Garden View Blend and my husband the Russian Earl Grey, also with the Grand Tea. My husband and I got cute little china tea pots while our daughters was of the pressed pot kind. Our daughter also had a glass of champagne, while my husband and I chose sparkling wine and I pushed it up a notch with the Iron Horse Cuvee, something I have always wanted to try. The Princess Kate consisted of Potted shrimp and toast points, assorted fruits and cheeses, cheese biscuits, scones, jam tarts, pastries and Veuve Cliquot Champagne. Our Grand Tea included Tea sandwiches ( watercress and cucumber…egg salad…shrimp salad…curry chicken salad and gorgonzola with pear) with Domaine Ste-Michelle sparkling wine and Iron Horse Cuvee along with scones and jam tarts, Tea pastries….Pistachio swan and chocolate strawberry and a Pina colada swan with mini éclair. My husband didn’t think that this would be a filling meal but it certainly was. I loved trying the Iron Horse Cuvee but honestly I don’t know what all the hype is all about. I loved this dining experience and would definitely do it again. Although we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan this experience is definitely out of pocket and worth every penny!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I take my mother here every year and also have been taking my girls here. It is a great place to go for a proper tea, but not worry about having your kids there. The tea selection is very good, and the food is perfect for tea. Lots of choices, and amazing dessert. Make sure to get the strawberries and cream or the trifle.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Firstly, the location was fantastic - the Grand Floridian is a wonderful place. I am English and have had a number of 'English Teas' - mostly in London. This 'High Tea' bears little resemblance to a proper English high tea. All High Teas should have a sandwich 3 tier serving tray, not the 1 tray supplied by Disney. More importantly, the portions supplied were very meagre albeit very tasty. There was a small sandwich with the edges cut off, followed by 1 small scone, jam and cream (an extra scone costs more!) followed by two small cakes. The average person would easily wish for more, so don't arrive hungry! The tea does not justify the price, but I don't expect Disney the change things as there appears to be a lot of demand and expectation for it - I bet there are not many repeat guests!!

7  Thank MPB999