“Personality-less!”

Ranked #1,301 of 3,808 Restaurants in Orlando
Sarasota
“Personality-less!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

First off, I believe that being vegan is good for our planet. Therefore, when one finds a restaurant that advertises itself as "vegan" it makes you feel great about it want to try it. First off, one cannot locate the parking lot. The parking lot is past a chain link fence that seems to belong to the restaurant next door, so we drove around wondering if we should park in the other lot. . . which we ended up doing despite the fear of being in a tow-away zone. Upon entering the restaurant, the walkway leading to it has broken paver stones, which sends a message. Perhaps the message is, "we don't have time or money to fix this, so deal with it." There were no customers in the restaurant when we arrived, but the host was very cordial and helpful right away. He gave us menus and we had time to peruse these as well as take in the surroundings. Well, it's easy to describe: non-descript. Classical music blasts. I am a classically-trained musician, so this is pleasing to me, although the volume was much too high. I am not sure what enters people's minds when they decorate a restaurant, but patrons are definitely influenced by their immediate environment. Bright yellow paint and overhead spot lighting make this a very sparse looking place indeed. We sat at the white tables with rather tatty white chairs. I just don't know why one has a restaurant that is not inviting. . . but I digress. The menu has some combo items, smoothies, and salads. I ordered a BBQ combo, which uses seitan probably or some type of textured soy protein. It was OK but the presentation was as everything else: bare minimum. I felt the sauce with the dish was really blah. The spring roll was quite tasty, and I wish there had been two of these. The "BBQ" on a skewer (only about 12 pieces of very thinly-sliced soy protein) was truly bland, nothing to commend it, really. There was more rice than anything on the plate---My husband had a quinoa salad, which was basically chopped vegetables and chick peas over quinoa. He didn't eat much of it. . . Our tea was brought out in a plastic mug with the tea bag hanging out of it. . . Wow--really?? All plastic plates. (what about the plastic leaching into the food??) No thought there! In most Asian establishments, the tea is brought out in a tea pot so you can pour more when you want more. Obviously this is bare-bones. Then there are the televisions with the odd broadcast in several languages about how veganism is going to heal the planet (which I believe but this is still odd, no matter how you look at it.) Anyway, we left feeling rather unfulfilled. How different this could be if they only took the time to think about presentation! And really, decor DOES count. The food is very bland.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Bastmuse

“Good food, simple surroundings”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

On our way to an Orlando Magic basketball game at Amway Center, we encountered a huge traffic jam on I-4 going north. It was probably due to the very busy theme parks this time of year. Though a longer ride, we successfully bypassed all the traffic by taking the 417 toll road and making to the restaurant 2 hours before game time. One really nice thing about Loving Hut in Orlando is that it's only 10 minutes from the Amway Center parking areas. The all you can eat Sunday buffet consisted of 10 vegan items, including eggplant, zucchini (I think), potato, kale salad with apple, peanut butter cookies, and 5 other vegan dishes. Hot tea cost extra. We enjoyed all the items, and I wasn't hungry the rest of the evening. The only reason I didn't give this a five out of five is because it's a very plain atmosphere, sort of like fast food seating.

• Visited December 2013
Seattle, Washington
“mostly tasty”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We got the Sunday buffet. Overall pretty good. There were a few choices that were not too great but most of them were in the good to excellent range.

• Visited April 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Awesome Sunday Vegan Buffet!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Food is delicious!! Staff is very friendly!! Prices are cheap! The Sunday all-you-can-eat buffet is awesome!!! I definitely recommend this place! Great for lunch!

1 Thank VeganVacation
Orlando, Florida
“Vegetarian or not this place is great!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

many friends and colleges love to come here although they are not vegetarian, the food is still fresh, light, and mostly healthy. No tofu here which is a nice change. Instead Seitan is the protein of choice!

Visited January 2013