“Good food but very limited selection”
Review of Rusty Spoon

Rusty Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Rusty Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #417 of 3,898 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this with a statement... I am not a foodie and am a pretty picky eater. My husband, however, is quite the foodie. I had problems with the selection as there did not seem to much I like on the menu. I ended up with the burger, which was very good. I understand some of the bad reviews though since there really want much cheese or bacon in the burger. My husband had a pasta dish which was good but trying too hard to be fancy. While I appreciate that the portions were not standard "American huge", for the prices it seemed a little on the light side. The atmosphere was interesting, but again seemed to be tring too hard. Wouldn't go out of our way to go back but wouldn't rule it out if in the area.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had the hen. Delicious, but it could have used a bit of wild rice. One of my companions had a handheld and soup. The Black bean soup was superb. Waiter was friendly and knowledgeable but hadn't tried many of the dishes so couldn't recommend. Great farm to table concept and a great cucumber martini.

1  Thank rollerbladerny
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Although we live about 15 miles away in Lake Mary, have been to the Rusty Spoon several times, most recently after attending a show at the Mad Cow Theater this past Sunday afternoon. Have yet to be disappointed by either the food or the service. Always impressed and pleased by the unique and varied meal selection, and particularly by the number of micro brews and craft beers on the beverage menu. Only mild complaint was the cold indoor temperature which caused us to sit outside where we were beset by the local fly population. Otherwise, three of the four of us had the delicious bass special which was nicely presented over a risotto cake with some spinach and a couple of very large shrimp which flanked the bass. The 5 onion soup didn't have a whole lot of flavor, but the profiterole-like desert with hot fudge was spectacular. Regret don't remember the name of our server, but she was terrific, and due to embark on a trip back to her native Minnesota. Again, a great experience, and we'll keep going back. Kudos to chef/owner Kathryn (Sp?) Blake.

2  Thank pwalther
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I travel to Orlando on business several times a year. It is hard to not end up at a national franchise restaurant that doesn't take reservations and that is overwhelmed with visitors.

The Rusty Spoon, located in the downtown entertainment district, is an outstanding exception.

The food is creative, well-prepared, attractively presented and advertised as being locally sourced. The wine and beer selection is eclectic and interesting. Service was attentive but we did not feel rushed.

The two of us each had a salad and entree. We enjoyed each. Dinner, including 3 draft beers, tax and 20% was $100.00

There is a fun vibe about the place. We enjoyed ourselves.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place is a gem. No matter if you're a local or a visitor, put this at the top of your gastro to-do list.

My wife and I started with Cesar salads. The portions were enourmus! Easily shareable. The sale was dressed lightly and I was happy about this. Why? The greens were so very flavorful. Not the typical tasteless hearts of romaine that bring little to the party other than crunch. This salad is a winner.

For entrées, my wife chose coffee rubbed steak with a potato gratin. Cooked just as ordered and full of great flavor. I ordered the lasagna. An atypical preparation with only two sheets of pasta cooked al dente with ragu making up the middle. A nice portion. It was also one of the best pastas I've enjoyed outside of Italy.

Dessert was the show stopper. My bride enjoyed the brown butter cake a la mode. Moist and rich - not too sweet, either. I went for the grown up s'mores. Yeah, s'mores. This was the greatest combo of savory and sweet. I could not stop talking about it. Easily one of the best desserts I've enjoyed anywhere. I'd come back to the The Rusty Spoon if this was the only item on the menu.

Our bill with a half-off bottle of wine before tip was $120. We agreed that this was one of our best meals at that price, ever.

Make a point to get here!