“Great. Local. Food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rusty Spoon

Rusty Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Rusty Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #340 of 3,640 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great. Local. Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is a gem. No matter if you're a local or a visitor, put this at the top of your gastro to-do list.

My wife and I started with Cesar salads. The portions were enourmus! Easily shareable. The sale was dressed lightly and I was happy about this. Why? The greens were so very flavorful. Not the typical tasteless hearts of romaine that bring little to the party other than crunch. This salad is a winner.

For entrées, my wife chose coffee rubbed steak with a potato gratin. Cooked just as ordered and full of great flavor. I ordered the lasagna. An atypical preparation with only two sheets of pasta cooked al dente with ragu making up the middle. A nice portion. It was also one of the best pastas I've enjoyed outside of Italy.

Dessert was the show stopper. My bride enjoyed the brown butter cake a la mode. Moist and rich - not too sweet, either. I went for the grown up s'mores. Yeah, s'mores. This was the greatest combo of savory and sweet. I could not stop talking about it. Easily one of the best desserts I've enjoyed anywhere. I'd come back to the The Rusty Spoon if this was the only item on the menu.

Our bill with a half-off bottle of wine before tip was $120. We agreed that this was one of our best meals at that price, ever.

Make a point to get here!

Visited June 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Best food in Orlando. Period.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Our third visit. Best yet. Can't say enough about the creativity of the menu or the service. Both specacular. There were four of us. Started with two different salads: beefsteak tomato salad with feta cheese and a roasted pear salad. Both light, refreshing and beautifully presented. Main courses: corvina on a bed of sweet corn risotto; mahi mahi on a bed of spinach; remodeled lasagna and a pasta, mushroom, sweet corn confection that was truly outstanding. A nice Rioja kept us company. We finished with a pistachio gelato.

Couldn't fault this meal. We've dined in all the "best" restaurants in Orlando. None can best The Rusty Spoon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank sasflo
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Food,not great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I were very impressed with the food. It was truly stellar. This chef can cook. Only miss was the smores dessert - way too rich. The restaurant is fairly nice looking, but we sat in the back area which was empty looking. It could improve a bit design wise. Our waiter wasn't the friendliest and gave us the impression that he had no time to waste with us, even though the restaurant wasn't that busy. When my husband asked for an explanation of the soup, the waiter was quite impatient. The servers who brought the food seemed to be running a marathon. They put the food down fast and dashed off even faster. If I am back to Orlando, I would eat here agin, for the food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Miami Beach, Florida
“Top-Drawer Dining in Downtown Orlando”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The recent gastropub trend seems to have evloved two types of restaurants: the narcissistic, self-aggrandizing type-- overly impresed with its mundane turns on common comfort food and the nuanced, self-effacing type that seeks only to deliver a comforting and creative dining experienece for all. The Rusty Spoon is top-drawer in the latter category. From smart yet attentive service to locally sourced ingredients given tastebud-popping turns, it exceeds where other gastropubs in Florida seem fundamentally unconcerned and uninterested. On this first visit the Docent enjoyed a warm beet salad dressed with honey roasted almonds and house made ricotta salata. That bit of springtime gave entree to more of the season with a beautifully pan-seared tile fish atop risotto greened with spinach, asparagus and peas. The blueberry cobbler, while way too much too much to eat, was appropriately Lucullan and low-brow all at the same time.

There's nothing "rusty" about this place; "sterling" would be more apt.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TheDocent
Houston, Texas
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a really relaxing bar with great food and decor! Very good waiter,knowledgeable about the menu; he suggested his favorites, and we chose 2 re his suggestions, and were thrilled with both. Drinks are very well made; one of the best martinis I've had in awhile. The ambiance is relaxing and casual, yet with an upscale vibe. I'd recommend this bar and restaurant for anything from a meeting with friends, to a first date, to a business lunch.
We shared a salad with locally grown beets, and avocado, a bean soup with chorizo, and then had the house made noodles. The food changes as they buy fresh produce and meats from local businesses; an idea that makes for an eclectic and delicious meal!
Dessert is a no brainer: Grown Up S'mores! This wonderful dessert was a nut and graham crust,topped with a deep fudge likr old fashioned chocolate pie, heavenly and dense. The topping is roasted marshallows, garnished with spun sugar "glass", an artistic masterpiece you'll love to share!
Definitely worth visiting when you are in downtown Orlando.

• Visited April 2013