“Good hotel if you are an early bird!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
La Quinta Inn Orlando - Universal Studios
Ranked #205 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
pinklilly25
“Good hotel if you are an early bird!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

As part of a roadtrip around Florida I stayed in a number of hotels/motels on route. This is part of a series of reviews based on the trip. The hotels varied in price however my minimum expectation for the hotels would be to a UK travel lodge standard (I.e clean with basic facilities). This hotel cost $49.99 per room and included continental breakfast, free parking, free WIFI and free shuttle bus to Universal.

We found the hotel to be very clean, the beds were comfortable and there was very little noise. We saw a few pets around and a few dogs barked occasionally however this was not a bother.

All staff were very friendly, every time you walked past reception they would say hi. Unfortunately the WIFI was down for the first 24 hours so I couldn't connect in however the manager was very helpful in trying to get this resolved.

On arrival the manager noticed we had got a twin room as part of the online booking however offered us a kingsize bed instead as he could see we were a couple. This was really helpful.

We used the pool once. There were a few bugs in it however was ok, a guy came to clean the pool a couple of days later. Some of the deck chairs need some TLC as they were broken.

My major issue with the hotel is as other travelers have stated... breakfast finished promptly at 9am. We would have lover to have a lie in and one day we just decided to miss breakfast because we wanted to relax. You could see many people in the hotel felt the same way (visiting the breakfast bar in their PJ's and taking it back to the room). The lady serving was very helpful and would restock anything empty really quickly and would warn you when she was about to close machines so you could get a final fruit juice.

The shuttle bus to universal was great, a very prompt service. One day we decided to stay late and walk back and it took very little time (unlike some of the other reviews have commented). I would say it took us about 20-30 minutes from downtown universal entrance. If you decide to do this make sure you are clear of the route back to the main road and also take a shortcut across some of the hotel car parks once you get to the universal entrance (Head towards holiday inn on left hand side as you walk out of universal) - it you follow the route the way the shuttle goes it would be nearer 2-3 miles due to the road layout.

Whilst we missed being closer to the main area on the international drive there were a number of restaurants really close including TGI's, Golden Corolla and a Japanese Steakhouse. There was also a Walgreens (pharmacy/mini supermarket). We drove to the outlet mall (3 miles drive ad fantastic bargains) however I bet its just as close to walk it as its the road system that gives you this mileage. The millenia mall is also a similar distance away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pinklilly25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We needed a room close to Universal, had found good deals for the DoubleTree just up the street on Major Dr, but thought 12.00 a day added for parking was crazy while you still had to pay for parking at Universal. Came across Laterooms and found a great deal on La Quinta , wanted to give it a shot. Hotel check-in was very quick, staff friendly(Shy was her name) and helpful.1st room we ended up with was on 3rd floor- was an old smoking room(even though hotel is completly non-smoking), asked to be changed to different room, ended up with a 2nd floor never smoked in room, was perfect. Room was clean with 2 double beds.Fridge and microwave both were nice to have and use. 32 inch LCD tv too. Beds were comfy but firm. Breakfast was typical but good continental, with make your own waffles, fresh fruit,toast and bagels,muffins,juice,coffee, etc. perfect to get you out the door to Universal, breakfast hrs are from 6-9 am. Universal is about 7/10 of a mile from the front door. Shuttle is ok, but returns usually before park closes. Taxi is 5.00 to the door if you wish to stay till closing. We drove to the park each day, early to get great parking(15.00 normal, 20.00 prefered), nomal was better than prefered actually in Spiderman lowest level which is covered parking with temperature that was always lots cooler. All in all a great family stay here, we would recommend this hotel at this price anytime.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank midwestyankee
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I spent a couple of days at this property and Martin, could not be more helpful. He was wonderful and helped me get information and needed items etc. He was professional and actually quite amazing!

But...there is a giant sinkhole that can create huge damage to a vehicle towards the back of the property where I was parked. Why was this not covered??? The tiny room was run down, missing trim/broken wall on adjoining door. Damage to walls that left them discolored and disfigured and very depressing. The TV is tiny and sits low so when you are in bed you can barely see it. Also, it is bolted down in one position and cannot be rotated at all. You cannot use the remote when in the farther of the two beds b/c you cannot get the correct angle (you need to be straight on and as I stated, you cannot rotate the TV). The bathtub had a horrible musty order and there was rusting on a metal piece on the floor.

The pillows were horrible...very cheap and hard to sleep on. The furniture is not nice but the containers with updated furniture arrived during my visit so I imagine this aspect will be improved. My door did not even close upon arrival and people had to come and fix it. How did this happen? Why had this not been reported by a housekeeper? Tools were needed to fix this so I doubt this just happened. Repair people very professional.

This property has very poor dog walking areas. The grass was not cut and most of the grassy areas were on banks and not safe for dogs. I am comparing the dog walking areas to those at Valdosta which are mowed and readily available on a flat surface.

Breakfast ends way too early at 9am. Not everyone at your hotel is at an amusement park early in the morning. You should consider this and keep breakfast open until 10am. Again, Martin, the manager on duty helped me with a number of things and provided excellent support to everyone!
This room was so depressing that we left a day early.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dexter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Good location to universal Studios. Good location & short shuttle ride to park, BUT park opened @ 8 and shuttle pickup at 845. Also shuttle back ONLY at 645, parks closed @ 9 and 10. Taxi was only $6 to hotel, & parkng is $15 per day, so looking at location, price, service, breakfast, and everything... it was a great stay. (Except for Tropical Storm Debby, but that was the breaks)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My hubby and I stayed at the La Quinta Universal this past weekend. We chose this hotel because of the location, which was great since it was very close to the park. The room was average...clean but nothing amazing...you get what you pay for. I only had one major problem with this hotel. We chose it because there was a free shuttle to Universal and we wanted to avoid the $15 parking fee. I was told that the shuttle was going to leave at 8:45 to get to the park when it opened at 9:00. When I talked to my friend (who was staying at a Disney hotel but meeting us at Universal the next day), she told me that they were getting a shuttle at 7:15 because the park opens at 8:00! I went and checked Universal's website, and sure enough, it said it opened at 8. So I called down to the front desk to see if the shuttle would actually be departing an hour earlier, and the girl kept insisting that the park didn't open until 9...even though I had the website pulled up right in front of me! Normally this wouldn't have been such a big deal, but we were meeting people at the park and walking there was impossible thanks to the rain! So, we ended up just driving over and paying for parking...and of course, the park was open at 8. Anyway...I'm not sure if we would stay here again. :-/

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fryauffe
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked our room through hotels.com and I really enjoyed staying here! It was for my bachelorette party so we wanted to be close to where our festivities were planned. The receptionist (Shy) was awesome and when I had forgotten my razor at home, she walked across the street in the RAIN just to bring me one from the hotel next door (La Quinta was out). I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends