“Children and parents with children will love it!”

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #16 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 18, 2007

Horizons is perfect for children between the ages of 5-12! Choose another hotel if you have no young children, grandchildren, or any to borrow for the trip. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable and well appointed. The grounds are stunning and this complex is small enough that you can enjoy both pools and all activities without a car. Until I have grandchildren, I will not return to Horizons. There are two play pools, neither are swimable due to the fact that they are very crowded with very little of each pool over 4.5' in depth. I love children and it was obvious that most enjoyed their holiday here. However, children under five were often run over by out of control older children. Parents, please remember that even though you are on vacation, parenting is still required! The food was good at the bar and grill and the drinks were resonable. You must have a car as there are no shops within walking distance and no store in the complex. I stayed in building 28 overlooking the water park pool, this is a very desireable building! I wish I had stayed in the most remote building, overlooking the lake (think it is building 13). A very big negative for me was that the water park pool didn't open until 10 AM and closed at 10PM. I usally like to swim laps around 8AM before the crouds arrive and it wasn't possible here. Even the hot tubs were small pools for children. In closing, your children will love this place which will make vacations easy for parents. Do not book here if you are a couple or single looking for relaxation! One more thing, don't buy your park tickets until you get there, most children didn't want to leave the hotel to go to the parks!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BluEyes-TRIP

Reviewed May 16, 2007

I am a travel agent and I have to say I am not sure what some of you others that have posted here were thinking. How could you have had any complaints? 2 bdrm villa was awesome, staff incredibly accomodating, beautiful grounds, loads of activities with little or no extra cost, fantastic location, and awesome pool areas. This is a place for everyone! I have stayed in tons of Orlando hotels and resorts and this tops the list

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank bloogirl
Reviewed May 15, 2007

If you are traveling to Orlando with a young family - this is a great
hotel. We booked in conjunction with Sea World, which got us a great package price, and stayed for 3 nights. We are used to 4-5 star hotels and this did not disappoint.

The suites are large with more than enough space for 5-6 people. The
only disappointment was the lack of a whirlpool tub in the master bath - a feature we have found in other Marriott timeshare locations (we don't own 1 - just like the suites).

Activities were great for young kids. Two great pools, miniture golf,
table tennis, kids club etc etc etc. We planned to spend most of our time at the theme parks, but frankly, our kids ended up enjoying the resort almost as much.

Next time we go back to Orlando, we would definitely stay there. However, if you are a couple, obviously this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank membermay07
Reviewed May 6, 2007

To echo the point, this is for families with youger children only. I would say kids less than 10. They have activities and things for older children but not enough.

Suites. The suites are big 1000-1100 sq ft or so, the DLP HDTV is also huge (50-60 inches!) but no HD service or HD DVD players! Kind of overkill but kids love it. The beds are nice and comfortable and kitchen is stocked minimally for basic cooking. I am used to the nicer Marriot timeshare suites like the Newport Coast (California) or Waihoai (Kauai) where there are granite counter tops, tiled floors, nice furnishings. etc Just as an example, the water fixtures in the kitchen and bathrooms are cheap plastic and will all likely break on some guest at some point, it feels as if the cabinets are made of cheap thin plastic, the furniture is not very comfortable to sit and watch tv. This place has definitely second rate furnishings comparable to cheap Best Westerns so if you expect upper-end amenities and furniture you'll be very disappointed, if you don't care then this is perfect.

Pools. My daughters (4 yrs old) favorite place here, moreso than Disney! The pirate pool is the most fun and is also heated (we stayed in April). The other pool with the big slide is not heated and though it was 85 degrees outside it was a bit too cold for my liking (my guess is the pool temp was about 75-77). The water park area which is basically a bunch of cool sprinklers and fountains you can run through is also cold, enough so that no kids were running around.

Water quality. The tap water is horrible, very bad smell like rotten eggs and chlorine. We brought a Brita pitcher and it was still bad smelling and bad tasting. Go to Publix and buy bottled water. Publix is about 3-4 miles away and easy to get to.

Room location. We stayed in building 25 on the second floor facing the big slide. Good access to parking. Amazingly it was not noisy, only in the daytime with all the windows open when you are not there much. Since the pool was so cold, most people especially the small noisy kids went to the pirate pool so the crowd outside was older, more mellow and definitely fewer. Our on the second floor puts us directly in front of the top of the slide, so we had to keep the light curtain about halfway closed to maintain some privacy, it wasn't that big of a deal but I would ask for third floor or higher.

Location. About 12-15 minutes to Disney, there are two ways to get to Disney so you can avoid the I-4 traffic in the late afternoon if you are headed to Disney for nighttime events. Very close to Publix grocery store as mentioned before, also a Walgreens, McDonlalds, Outback Steakhouse and a big Outlet mall with an extensive food court if you don't want to cook or go out to a sit down.

If flights are expensive then consider flying in and out of Tampa airport which was about 1 hr. 10 minutes w/out traffic. I drove back to Tampa on Friday afternoon and it took about 1.5 hours.

Overall it was fun for my daughter but I don't really want to go back there and my wife definitely does not want to return.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank RDS3918
Reviewed May 4, 2007

We just returned from our April vacation in Orlando at the Horizons. I have to say that initially I was disappointed because the resort is so small and very close to the road. Our last vacation was at the Marriott Grande Vista and it was so secluded and difinitely more of an upscale property. Horizons lacks the "awe factor" that the Grande Vista emulates. I have to say that I quickly changed my mind though.
My husband describes the resort as having more of a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. After giving the resort a chance I knew he was right. The rooms are very nice and the two queen beds were difinitely a hit for the children. The Staff is very young but competent and friendly. I have two boys who are 10 and 6 and they just loved both the Pirate ship pool and the slide pool. Our room overlooked the pirate ship pool and it gave a tropical setting as well as one of excitement. We set aside days to just stay at the resort and let our boys participate in the activities. They loved the hoola hoop contests, the limbo, the dancing, the kareokee, the scooter races, the music and especially the miniature golf. The bar has great drinks and good food, some very special frozen drinks for the kids. The resort is so entertaining for the children that the adults can relax and enjoy.
As for the interstate 4 noise ,which was mentioned as a problem in other reviews, we never heard it even when we tried to listen. The resort has the ability to still be an oasis and the music, the activities and the splashing water sounds all cover any outside noise. And the hot tubs are the best design I've ever seen, even if they are busy you can still get a quiet corner to relax and enjoy.
My only request would be to add a market place convenient store, I did miss that.
Needless to say this resort is definitely worth a visit, we were all sad to leave it. As I learned first impressions aren't always right, give the resort a try. It just doesn't get any better than this for families. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank RTJOPfamily
Reviewed May 3, 2007

We traded a week at a Hawaii Marriott timeshare for a week here. We learned a valuable lesson - always read the fine print. Instead of booking a suite (which was pictured) we ended up in a "lock-out" room, which is just a basic room - on par with an upscale Best Western. If we had read the fine print we wouldn't have stayed here. The pirate-themed front desk staff wasn't very sympathetic. Arrr.

About the "lock-out" room. It was slightly larger than an average hotel room and had a small screened-in balcony. The theme is tropical, and the walls are painted bright yellow and the drapes are blue and green. The room also boasted a basic kitchenette, featuring a microwave, a coffee maker, a small refrigerator, some dishes, and a bar sink. The mattress on our queen-sized bed was springy, thin and cheap, but at this newish stage in its life it was okay. At one point my husband tried the couch's pull-out bed, but found it to be far worse. We had a smallish (27-30") television and asked the hotel staff for a DVD player, which they eventually supplied. All the countertops were white Formica and the counter in the bathroom was very low. The bathtub was shallow. All the plumbing fixtures were comprised of white plastic. No doubt this is a nod to their main clientele - kids.

Expect to receive an early morning phone call from a very enthusiastic timeshare salesperson if you are using a relative's or friend's timeshare.

Kids, kids, kids! They're everywhere. This hotel is a kid's paradise. There are 2 main pools, one with a nice waterslide, and couple of large hot tubs. There is a pirate ship and some sort of tower that shoots kids with water. They lock up the pools and hot tubs around 10 PM. There is very basic miniature golf ($5 a day) course and a basketball court. I also saw a schedule for kiddy crafts and other activities. There's also a small arcade.

Best of all? There's a bar! The drinks are reasonably priced. You can also order some food there, which is a relief as this complex has no room service.

Frankly, if I had a small kid (and had actually gotten the room I expected), I wouldn't think twice about staying here. But there are much better options if you aren't traveling with young kids.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steamraise
Reviewed April 10, 2007

For spring break this year I took my 9 year old niece to the Horizons Vacation Club. We stayed in a studio room which was a good size and nicely appointed. I thought while we were there we would go to a park but my niece would have none of it. She loved the resort, she loved the pools, the activities, she loved everything. It is a great family resort, there is a kid’s night out which my niece loved, they have entertainment around the main pool everyday. The staff was wonderful, the room was nice, the pools were great. I can’t say enough about this place.

Stayed: March 2007