“A Disappointment - Not up to Marriott Standard” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Harbour Lake

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #15 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
New York
“A Disappointment - Not up to Marriott Standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I did a lot of research before booking my hotel. We only needed a room for a one night stay and wanted a nice hotel since my almost 2 year old was with us. We needed a hotel that was clean and had nice amenities. The hotel when booked was advertised for $154 a night.

We went to Magic Kingdom during the day and then checked into the hotel at about 8pm. We were in the 3000 building. My first thought walking up was that it was very motelish. The stairs are painted and it seems like it hasn't been redone in a very long time.

We arrived in the room which was spacious but nothing seemed clean. The floor had crud on it and it was not vacuumed. The sheets not only had holes in them but the top sheet had a few hairs on it that did not belong to us. We were so grossed out that we slept with no sheets or blankets on top of us.

There were 2 towels in the room and if we wanted more or to change them there was a 10 dollar fee. When we booked the hotel it was noted that my son was traveling with us. It would have been nice to have a least 3 towels, 1 for each of us.

The water pressure was not good and the water had a musky, stale smell to it. The furniture in the room was very dated. The wooden furniture was very worn.

When we woke up we saw that an extra 25 dollar fee was tacked on for activities which we never even used. We also had a tax added on to the 154 which totaled to 188 and now with the extra 25 bucks we were over 200. We could have stayed at a moderate Disney Resort for that price.

While checking out we complained to the manager who was very polite. I showed him pictures and he asked why we hadn't called. When you have a toddler who is exhausted from spending the day at disney and he is hysterical you have to let him sleep. The manager understood and took 50 bucks off the bill.

I would imagine the good reviews are for the splash park. We stayed in a guest room not a villa maybe there's a difference in cleanliness and how updated the rooms are. I based my stay off of most of the reviews on here and I chose this hotel over the Sheraton Vistana and I am disappointed that I did that.

To add one good point about the hotel, they have tons o activities for kids. Most did have an extra charge but some were for free. There is no room service or real restaurant. There is coffee served at the hotel and if you want you can have Pizza Hut delivered to your room.

I would not stay here again. I probably could have stayed at a motel which would have been cleaner and saved a lot of money. I will most likely stay on a disney property next time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BeachPrincess12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Slovak first
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our family just returned from our 7th annual April visit to Orlando. Having stayed at several other resorts (Marriott Cypress Harbour & Sheraton Vistana Villages), we had a great opportunity to see how this resort stacks up against our previous choices. On balance, I would have to say that this is a terrific choice for families, particularly those with younger children (12 and under). Among the pluses are location, cleanliness and a very personable and helpful staff. First, the resort is ideally located for pretty much anything you would like to see or do in Orlando. It is within a mile or so of the Orlando Premium Outlet Mall, several Publix supermarkets and many other stores and facilities that most would want or need on a family vacation. For those planning trips to any Disney or other theme parks, the resort is a stone's throw to I-Drive or the junction to the I4, with most Disney parks within 3-5 miles. In addition to the great location, this resort stands out for it's overall cleanliness and it's staff. Our room and the resort grounds were absolutely spotless, while the staff throughout the resort were friendly and helpful. Overall, there is really no downside to staying here. For most families with younger children, an excellent choice.

If it's helpful, here are a few points of comparison against the Marriott Cypress & Sheraton Vistana Villages:

Resort size - much smaller/more compact than either of the above. This can be good or bad, depending on what you want.

Restaurant/On site food choices - while on par for choices, the food at Harbour Lake is much better. The main restaurant (The Patio) is very good, with really good food and service.

Pool(s) - quite good, slightly better than Cypress Harbour. However, it's hard to compete with the spectacular main pool at the Sheraton. Those with smaller children will be sure to appreciate the Pirate Ship and mini water play area onsite.

Amenities - on par with the others, with a mini soccer field, basketball court, mini-putt golf & an arcade for kids. Also, pretty good entertainment certain nights (Polynesian night at The Patio stands out). Golfers however, will likely appreciate the golf course at Cypress Harbour across the street.

All in all, a great resort.

Room Tip: Room was excellent, although would recommend rooms facing away from International Drive side for bet...
5 Thank Colby368
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed in April with my wife and daughter in a bedroom villa. Room was in good condition and spacious. My daughter loved the pool with the slide, as did I, indeed I found that if you arch your back slightly, lifting one's rear from the slide, you really gain some velocity.
We borrowed some fishing rods from the activity center, and i managed to catch a couple of fish from the pier. Even saw some baby otters approach the pier. I went to Publix to purchase some meat, then made use of the on site grills whilst the sun was setting. They have 3 grills over looking a lake. My daughter loved the basket ball courts, and there's always organised activity's should you want to join in. Yes you can purchase all the food and drinks you want on site, but we saw just as many people making their own in their rooms, so this place can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. We mainly went to Disney parks during our stay, but found that this place was great for down time days, when you need to relax between park days. I may try Marriotts Cypress Harbor across the street next time, but i would stay here again, we had a great time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carlos654
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family recently spent a week at this beautiful resort in Orlando.

The two pool areas were great, with plenty of activities for the kids. One pool had a big slide into the pool which our kids did over and over again. The other pool had a giant pirate ship in the middle for the younger kids.

The restaurant staff and bartenders were very friendly and accommodating. The front desk staff was informative and helpful.

The activity staff had organized daily activities, and the days we were on the resort the kids took advantage of a couple of them.

The rooms were large and most importantly clean.

Within 15 minutes from Disney and Universal parks and about 90 seconds from Sea World.

With regards to the Nickel and Dimed feeling we had at times. The resort promotes great on-site activities, from the water park, pool/ping pong or the onsite mini-golf course. When you arrive there, you actually find out that the mini-golf is $6 per person per game. Then we you go to play ping-pong you actually have to put a quarter in a gumball machine to get out a ball, the 3PM ice cream sundaes for kids are actually $3 per child(another Marriott location didn't charge for this same activity). You are paying some pretty nice room rates to stay at the resort, and I feel that the activities should be part of that cost. At least they didn't charge for parking!

Ultimately though, we loved the resort, and if we were to ever go back to Orlando, it would certainly be in our consideration set.

york,pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 days in a 2 BR Villa. We stayed at 4 different properties on this vacation. This was the nicest room of the 4. The other 2 of 3 resorts were Disneys Boardwalk and Marriotts Cypress Harbor which is a stones throw from here. Boardwalk and Cypress were overall nicer, but Harbor Lake had the nicest rooms, hands down. We only rated this a "very good" because of some of the exterior conditions were not up to Marriotts usual standard. But, given the chance to stay here again for the price we paid, we would absolutely do it.

7 Thank mrgeez
Little Town in NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ok, first of all I am all about the pool! Pools are the best things ever invented!! And this hotel has one of the COOLEST Pools ever found at a hotel. I mean it, totally rocks! Oh sorry, I am being correct by a 9 year old boy... its "SICK"! (Guess that means cool now a days)

We got here a little late in the evening. Somebody drank a big gulp and we need to make one too many pit stops on our way here. Yes, we drove from New England to here. Very long drive, kids... if you do it, make sure you have a car adaptor for Nintendo DSi, you will need it.

Back to the hotel, so we get there... BIG Suite! Living room Kitchen breakfast area two bedrooms and a deck. The second bedroom was so big it had two queen beds and they were comfortable! But unfortunately I still had to share the bed with a kid. The next morning we got up to explore the hotel grounds and we loved it! Everyone in the pool area was friendly, kids were playing, it was great! So after we explored we went to Disney. Oh, btw I am actually from Disney, Canada Epcot to be exact, went to go visit old family members....

Ok so back to the hotel, we went swimming in the pool, did the hot tub thing, and had a bite to eat. Food was good. Then we played a little in the game room.

I can say, this is my favorite hotel in Orlando!!! And I have stayed in many.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is part of the Marriott Vacation Club resorts. This is a great place to go if you are vacationing with kids and, as an adult, you don't want much to do. There are very few activities designated towards adults and even when they try to do water aerobics etc, they don't rope off the area so kids jump in the water, swim in front of you etc when you are trying to follow the exercises. I blame the parents more than the kids for this. Even though you are supposed to be a certain age to go into the hot tubs, nobody enforces it so why do they have the restriction ? The accommodations are very nice, the gym is clean and up to date. There is no Marketplace as you would typically find at a MVC resort and very limited food onsite so be prepared to make your own or go off the resort to eat and drink.

Room Tip: There is one elevator area per 2 buildings so if you want good exercise, choose one on the top floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple