“Best vacation ever at the Horizons”

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #16 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 21, 2007

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Horizons.
We were in building 12, on the second floor and the rooms had been renovated with new appliances and bedding. Parking was adjacent and it was very close to everything including the main center and the pirate ship pool, with a small walk to a larger pool area with a waterslide and waterworks area, sports recreation area and a minature golf course. The two bedroom unit we stayed in was very clean, and we enjoyed the kitchen and dining area both for a quick breakfast and to cook dinner in. My sons, 8 and 10, loved the Horizons pirate themed activites with everything from a pirate treasure hunt to a Disney trivia night. As others have stated they loved the resort so much they wanted to stay, even on days we were headed to the parks. We had weather in the 80's so that helped but used the pool on cooler days as well. The staff, especially activites staff were great. My only compliant was not being told to use the parent controls on the tv's - early morning they had an adult programming channel we stumbled upon when my youngest was up very early, wanting to go to the pools. Luckily we switched channels quickly but take note as this was a surprise to find at a family resort. This was the only glitch though in an otherwise great stay. Would highly recommend. to families ...we used Marriott points but I understand that is harder to do know as the resort is building out to more timeshare owners but I talked to a few families who got a rate around $200 which would be very reasonable per night for this resort. All and all a great stay, already hoping to return...

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Carol G

Reviewed November 20, 2007

My family (wife and 3 kids, aged 9, 6, and 2) and I spent six nights at Horizons in late October 2007. This was our first weeklong vacation as a family, and I had exhaustively researched dozens of properties. We decided on Horizons based on the reviews and photos here on TripAdvisor. It was fantastic.

We got a five-night package (which included 2 adult one-day tickets to a Disney park) for $995 ($199/night) via Marriott's website. They let us stay an additional night for $209. I called about a month before our trip with some questions, and they emailed me their 18-page property guide with a property map and daily activities. I highly recommend calling and asking for this. Also in their email, they said to let them know if we had any requests for our room. Based on reviews I had read here on Trip Advisor, I asked for a room in the newest building, on a high floor, facing Disney's evening fireworks show. We were given room 2855, which met all of my requests; I was thrilled!

The accommodations at Horizons are, in a word, fantastic. The one thing that stands out for me is this: almost all of the Disney Resorts, even Deluxe--no matter how exquisitely themed--are just nice hotel ROOMS, that is to say, a SINGLE room: bed, TV, desk, chair, bathroom, maybe a fridge/mini kitchen. Not bad, but still basically a hotel room, and the beds or the bathroom sink will always be in view. Horizons, on the other hand, is full-blown condo: 2 separate bedrooms w/ TVs, 2 separate full bathrooms, a full furnished kitchen, full dining area, additional snack/counter area with stools, washer/dryer (admittedly small), spacious living room with 40+" TV, and a screened balcony, all decorated with a very comfortable, relaxed decor. For us, a family of five accustomed to tripping over our suitcases and pull-out sofa-beds in typical hotel rooms, this was an absolute dream. It really felt like home for our stay; in fact, parts of it were even nicer than home! I know it's not on-site, but for us the accommodations were such a quantum leap above anything Disney offered--especially in this price range--we didn't think twice about staying off-site. Obviously it does take a little more time getting to and from the parks. But, it was actually nice to escape the "Disney machine" in the mornings and evenings, and again, with great accommodations, we didn't mind leaving. Plus, I was actually glad to not have to eat 3 meals a day on-site.

In addition to the great rooms, Horizons has more family friendly amenities and features than any resort I have ever seen. The TWO amazing pools, game room, miniature golf, basketball court, pool tables, plus the kids' activities, all of which are well-documented in other reviews here. Aside from the pools, we didn't really take advantage of these since we wanted to get to the Disney parks ASAP each morning.

Our only qualms with our stay were these:
1. The A/C unit for the villa is right next to the balcony...and since all of the balconies (and A/C units) are on the same side of the building, you hear the noise from ALL of the A/C units on your balcony, and it's pretty loud. A review here mentioned noise from I-4, and I had to laugh; I would have loved for our balcony area to be quiet enough to have heard noise from I-4 (hundreds of feet away)! This kept us from spending much time on our balcony.

2. Two of the days of our stay, we found some ants in our kitchen. If we had seen them again, we probably would have asked to be relocated, but we never saw any more. Not sure how bad this problem is.

3. For all of the kids activities offered, most are not free. The daily ice cream sundaes are $3, I believe miniature golf is $5, etc.

4. Washer/dryer is the stacked kind, and are super-small.

Some additional pluses:
--Free wireless internet access
--Staff was super-responsive and speedy with every request we had (which were not many)
--Seven channels of HBO (and Disney Channel East/West) on the TVs, plus DVD player in living room.
--Kitchen was very well furnished with plates, glasses, utensils, can opener, etc. Also provided packets of laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent.

One interesting note: Upon returning to our villa at the end of our first day, we saw we had received housekeeping: Beds made, bathrooms cleaned, kitchen cleaned, dishwasher loaded and run, and 8 fresh bath towels and 6 fresh beach towels provided. Our welcome brochure stated that housekeeping was $22 or $37 per day, so I called the front desk, but they said that housekeeping was included with our rate. I don't know if that's becoming standard or not.

Our stay at Horizons greatly exceeded our expectations and was easily one of the best things about our entire trip. Even though we probably won't return to Disney until our daughters are a few years older, I expect we'll be back in Orlando for other activities just so we can stay at Horizons again. It's that great!

(For what it's worth, I am in no way associated with Marriott or Grand Horizons or their management.)

8  Thank snoqualmie7
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Bottom line is if you have children this is the resort for you and your family. If you don't have kids, don't go anywhere near this resort or you will go crazy. We stayed in a 2-bedroom, 2 bath room. It was great. We stayed at Marroitt Cypress Harbour last year and really enjoyed it. Actually the rooms are nicer (more luxurious) and bigger at Cypress. If I did not have kids, I would stay there. But the Horizons is a kids wonderland. The rooms are very nice and spacious. The pool areas are the key to this resort. I don't think there is a another resort in Orlando that can touch this place from a kids point of view. The Pirate ship pool is unbelievable, and the other pool area has a great water play area. There is a great activities center and miniature golf, pool, table tennis, etc. You get the idea. It located near everything. The resort itself is not big, but again if you have kids this is the place for you. There should be no hesitation on your part. My daughter loved it and we would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank Jiucer
Reviewed November 13, 2007

This was our 4th time to Horizons by Marriott and they have really built alot of units. They now have studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedrooms. We stayed over Halloween and they put on a great time for kids down on Horizons Harbor. They played music, games and gave ALOT of candy to the kids.

We stayed in building 29 and all of the buildings are convenient and you can't go wrong. Buildings 13, 14 and 15 have better views of a lake. But ours was nice too.

We have stayed in two bedroom in buildings 14 & 15 and 29 and all the rooms are the same size exactly alike.

We had dinner and breakfast at the bar area and both meals were exellent.

Put Put golf is 25.00 per unit for the week for everyone...well worth it.

You can't go wrong with this property!

6  Thank travellenfool
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We just got back from a week long trip to Orlando.
We have been going to orlando almost every 2 years of so now and have stayed at many wonderful hotels but this one takes the cake.
It is really the ultimate if your traveling with children. The water features here keep the kids busy for hours. Everything is CLEAN and service is first class. Our 2 bedroom villa was always kept clean by daily maid service. The food at the poolside grill was always good too.
Everything is so close it doesnt matter where your room is located. There are 2 HUGE pool areas on different sides of the complex and both have fun things to do. We walked back and forth between both of them all day long and timed it to be 2 minute walk ( at a slow pace)
Since it is a timeshare they called my room ONCE and after telling them I was not interested in time share, they never called back again.
On international drive, this is about a 7 minute drive to the parks.
Tons of restaurants all up and down the road.
Fresh pool towels left in our room all week long.
Beds were super comfy, lots of extra blankets and pillows in closets.
Balcony was closed in which was one less thing for me to worry about with 3 small children. Ceiling fan on balcony was a nice touch.
We cant wait to go back, we will never stay anywhere else again.

6  Thank IslandGrll
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My wife and my nephews had an excellent stay. Everything is close from parks (Sea World, Universal, World Disney) to shopping mall's. The rooms were neat and the staff were friendly. Thet also have a lot
of activities, so you don't necesarily have to go out to have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank laoreyes
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We had a blast! This place is great for kids. We were very relaxed and spent a ton of time at the resort. I'm not going to say too much more because it would all be a repeat of what everyone else has said. I am going to add a lot more pictures though.

I have a lot more pictures than you can post here on tripadvisor, but you can see them at http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/maciec/?action=guestlogin .... password is horizons

4  Thank maciec