“Great Value Hotel, Poor Food”

Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Ranked #77 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation for 4 nights for a business trip. Check in was quick reception staff great no problems. Room was nice (I Think one of the refurbs) Nice decor, clean, plenty of towels. After transatlantic flight was a bit disappointed no room service for a 4 star hotel. Complimentary wifi was very good in the room and around the complex. Next morning used gym, pool and hot tub all fantastic. Breakfast menu was very limited and I can’t understand why a Hilton hotel would serve coffee in Paper Cups! (Real poor turned my review from very good to average) also crockery was plastic. The menu for lunch and dinner was equally as poor with little to choose from. The Coral Reef was the only bar/grill for the hotel and drinks were served in plastic cups which if you are paying a dollar or 2 in subway or McDonald’s you could understand but was by no mean acceptable for a hotel bar. On Saturday the hotel hosted a dive in Movie by one the fantastic pools (this was a great idea).

There is only one restaurant (fishbone) within walking distance so the food was a real let down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Degree2007
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. While we’re delighted you found your room to be nice and our fitness center, pool and hot tubs to be fantastic, we apologize our limited on-site food and beverage offerings weren’t in line with what you were expecting when you made your reservation.

Peter M. Merrill

Write a ReviewReviews (4,037)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We've stayed here a half dozens times and this place is a great place to stay at, the rooms are great, and the location is also right where you want to be. They also have a movie theater and show movies nightly for free.

The only challenge that continues to face this location is the outside pool area and simple enforcement of their own rules. The pools are simply not heated warm enough and as a result, all the kids flock to the hot tubs. I have 3 kids 9/11/13 and we generally don't let them in the hot tubs or if an adult comes along we make them get out. At one point I counted over 15 kids in one hot tub alone, almost all unsupervised, with some swimming underwater with masks on and even doing cannonballs in them. They either need to enforce the ages 12 and over rule like most HGVC places do, or heat the pools warm enough.

1  Thank jeffpags

Thank you for your kind words regarding our great rooms and our location, as well as your continued loyalty. As far as our pools go, we are constantly monitoring the temperature they are maintained at and will be happy to revisit this issue as we move into our cooler winter season.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our stay was 12 days-only once the room was freshened up-only 3 little packets of dishwasher soap for 12 days-1 small box of laundry detergent for 12 days-the concierge kept trying to pressure us to join the GVC and attend a breakfast presentation ...asked no less than 3 times...didn't understand NO meant NO...annoying...3 times we asked for fresh towels...3 times towels were delivered but failed to take the dirty ones...by the end of 12 days the kids tub was full of towels..the en suite shower developed surface mold by day 9-10...i couldn't figure that one out...you shouldn't have to take your garbage out on holidays...talk is cheap...actions speak louder than words...they drop the ball on customer service... the grounds were simply extravagant.. shuttle service very good...location to Sea World/Aquatica/Discovery Cove/Disney great.

Room Tip: we stayed in a two bedroom condo, full kitchen, w/d, very nice and big for 2 adults + 2 kids
3  Thank Horvath
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We’re pleased you found our grounds to be extravagant and our proximity to SeaWorld, Aquatica & Discovery Cove, as well as Disney to be great. At the same time though, we’re very concerned about the apparent breakdown in our housekeeping services and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about your experience. With this in mind, if you would be kind enough to contact Toby Sweatt, our Executive Housekeeper, at 407.387.7009, at your earliest convenience so we can learn more, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went with our kids to Sea World and stay at this hotel. It was so fabulous. The room was GREAT! Huge and great ammenities, including a really nice, huge spa tub. The price was really really reasonable. So much cheaper then the Disney lodges we have stayed in. I would go back to this place in a second. Our whole family enjoyed the night and were comfortable. Front desk is super fast, super efficient. There is a desk right there in the main lobby, easy to get extras for park and park tickets, definitely stop there to get the Quick Que passes, that will save you all the long waits.

Room Tip: We got a room on the top floor, that was nice for us.
1  Thank nature+surf
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were very impressed with the large, comfortable, well-appointed rooms. I had read many reviews prior to our trip and I am happy to report that the problems with the wireless internet were not much in evidence while we were there; only a few isolated problem times. We also were not bothered by repetitive phonecalls from the resort as some others have reported. My only slight complaint was that housekeeping could be improved. Moving the drapes to look for electrical outlets showed dirt and debris hidden back there, dusty window ledges and floors that had been damp mopped with dirty water, so my feet stuck and needed to be washed before getting into bed. Speaking of electrical outlets, I would suggest guests pack a 3-prong extension cord if they want to plug in and re-charge multiple devices or work from the main area. All in all, an amazing value, especially for families and groups who want to share meals and social time. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor in building 2. Lovely corner room, good internet connection. A little n...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is my 3rd review of this hotel. I've stayed here numerous times and feel I'm very qualified to tell it like it is. My first stay was abominable. I was contacted by management and asked to give them another chance to make things right. So I did which meant that Manager Nour, personally saw to it that my room would be up to par. He arranged stays for me a few times and most of those stays were OK. I then had a few stays that I booked through the HHonors site and each of those had issues. Some were minor some were not. Amongst those issues were having to change rooms after coming in at 11:30 PM to a few hundred tiny bugs (not roaches) crawling on the floor of the entry way, bathroom, & kitchen, terrible to no internet service, poor cell service, dirty floors, hair left behind in the shower and/or tub from whoever stayed before me, etc.
I learned that I had to always request a renovated room because those that have not yet been renovated are awful.
On my second to last stay, the internet was not functioning at all for half the time I was there. This hotel ALWAYS has internet problems and obviously they aren't doing anything about it like some reviews have stated. The floors were so filthy that walking on them with white socks turned the bottoms of the socks brown. I was given a partial refund due to no Internet service but I was tired of the very inconsistent stays. Unfortunately, I had one more stay booked that I tried to change but couldn't. They also play games with the room pricing which forced me to book 2 stays instead of one to get the amount of time that I needed. I made a call to manager Nour and asked if he could get my stay booked into the same room for all 5 nights and also mentioned to him the problems I had during the last stay. He arranged the stay to my liking and I was hoping it would be a good one. That was not to be. It was awful and now there's no more chances, I will never stay here again.
I was in the Paget building, room 9104, a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen. First night, I discovered that the pocket door that closes off the bathroom from the bedroom was stuck opened. Phone call #1. The room was renovated but little details were still old and shabby like mold in and around the shower, poor drainage in bathroom sink and dirty light switches. As always the internet service was poor as was cell service.
Another day, I turned on the dishwasher, shut the lights in the kitchen/living area and went into the bedroom. A while later, I went back into the kitchen and ended up stepping in a small lake that had formed from a leaking dishwasher. I go back into the bedroom to call the front desk to find the bedroom phone didn't work. Phone call #2, part replaced in dishwasher - can't tell you if it actually worked after that because I didn't get the chance to try it.
The walls in all the rooms are very thin so every stay is a noisy one. At this point I was putting up with a poorly maintained room that had mold in the shower, noise from neighboring rooms, a partially functioning bathroom door, non working phone, poor internet, and a broken dishwasher but wait.....there's more.
Night #4 - 1:30 AM I go into the kitchen to get a drink, turn on the lights and COCKROACHES ARE CRAWLING ON THE COUNTER AND WALLS!!! I was so disgusted if I felt I could have safely taken the 2 hour drive home or changed hotels, I would have but couldn't do either. I called the front desk, they sent two men to "clean the kitchen" (by the way, my room was not cleaned that day) One of the men found and killed one of the roaches and said "oh just a small one" and laughed. I wasn't finding it funny. In addition to cleaning the kitchen and killing a roach or 2, they also removed garbage, dirty towels and said that pest control would come "tomorrow." Thanks but that's not good enough. I left all the lights on and attempted to get some sleep which did not work well. I called manager Nour at 9AM and asked to be moved down the road to a sister property. I was told they didn't have availability even though when I checked online, it said rooms were available. Nour offered to "comp 1 night" which I did not feel was at all adequate and move me to a different room in a different building. He added "I just have to have housekeeping check something first." CHECK WHAT? What's wrong in THAT room? I decided I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible so I called Nour back, and informed him I'd be leaving. He said he would comp me for 2 nights instead of 1 but I don't think that's enough compensation for having stayed in a roach infested room that also had other problems for 4 nights which meant I had to throw away any food that I bought and opened there, deal with the mental anguish that goes along with finding roaches, the thought of having roaches in my food and not seeing them, and having to go through every single item I had in that room before bringing it back into my home. Additionally I missed an opportunity that I had won to preview the new Fantasyland in Walt Disney World due to my early departure. I plan to take this issue as high as is necessary until I am completely satisfied about what went on during this stay. There's a reason this hotel is #55 of 300 in Orlando and not in the top 20 or even top 30 and if you read all the way through this, now you know what that reason is. DON'T STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank MissMouse1928

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for your less than stellar experience and assure you this is not our standard we aspire to or the standard we are typically recognized for. None the less, regarding the need to request a “Renovated Room” we’re happy to report that next January we will be completing the renovation of all of the units Building 5, which is the last building in our 5 year renovation cycle, which is a program that is scheduled to continue in perpetuity. We’re also happy to convey we are now partnering with BrightHouse Networks as our new high speed internet provider and are confident this new service will enhance everyone’s internet experience. If the Sea World Team may be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact Kenny Mayhew, our Orlando HGV Senior Property Operations Manager, at 407.387.1301 or via e-mail at kmayhew@hgvc.com. Thanks again.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here on business while attending a convention down the road on i-drive. At first, I wasn't so sure about staying at a resort-style property and especially one that is located in the high-traffic theme park area. I have to say that I really enjoyed the location and the set up of this hotel. I stayed in a 1-bedroom with a King in the Paget building (9). The room was newly renovated with attractive furnishings including a nice kitchen area with granite countertops. It was outfitted with plenty of cooking utensils/plates/glasses etc. The room also featured a large Jacuzzi tub which I thought was another nice feature. The balcony area was also nice for those that like to sit out for coffee or a cocktail. The location of my building overlooked the golf course area and was towards the back of the property which felt more secluded. You can drive up and park in front of your building or call for one of their golf carts which were very efficient. I ate both dinner and breakfast at the property and found both to be excellent with very reasonable prices. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the pools or other features due to my schedule, but it looked as though the couples/families I saw were having a blast. The staff here was also wonderful and always wearing a smile on their faces. I am already planning another stay here in a few months and will look forward to another enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Get the 1-bedroom, it is worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business