“Annual Thanksgiving in Orlando”

Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld
Ranked #74 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My family has been celebrating Thanksgiving at this location for 8 of the past 9 visits to Hilton Grand Vacation at Sea World. Each year we invite friends and family and this year was no exception. We love this property. It is centrally located, easy to get to any attraction in the greater Orlando area. The facility has been upgraded during these same years, and we are very pleased with all the upgrades. We think the staff is terrific, and has always provided help and solutions when we need them. The pool area is always fun, and we spend hours there reading and relaxing. Although the oldest of the Hilton Grand Vacations Clubs in Orlando, for our family, we like this property the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the right side of property, not the left (which is near Sea World), the reason is...
1  Thank EastCobbFamily
There are newer reviews for Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld

Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed in a remodeled 2 bedroom, the room was wonderfull. Staff was great. The facilities were great for the family. The bed was comfortable.

Being fairly picky--we stayed in a buidling further away from the main pools, we called for a golf cart 3 times and got one 1 time. Also the TV in the bedroom was super loud even when turned all the way down.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

OK...I know, a lot of folks on here enjoyed there stay. We did as well. I was just less than pleased with (1) the room and (2) hotel management. (NOTE: I am Hilton Diamond and stay at Hilton properties 30+ times a year)

We arrived for a 3 night stay with a reservation for a 1 bedroom, 2 beds plus pullout, room. We were given a 1 bedroom with a king instead. Situation was explained as a "misunderstanding".....OK. Room was in good condition. Recent renovations showed well, except for the aging refrigerator. Turns out refrigerator had not been replaced and was operating as loud as refrigerator could without "conking out." Maintenance determined there was nothing they could do but replace the refrigerator (which they acknowledged needed to be replaced). Management then said there was nothing more they could do....OK...let's settle in, cover our ears and enjoy the stay.

PS..request a room away from the main drag between the hotel and Sea World. We observed the front desk attempting to place guests in the buildings abutting Sea World. When guests noticed, the front desk happily moved them due to anticipated noise.

For Hilton travelers, this particular Hilton could also care less if I was Diamond status or a first time traveler to a Hilton property...if that is of interest to you.

Room condition was fine other than the refrigerator and bed mix-up. Property well maintained. Pool amenities nice as well. I did get a chance to catch the Hilton Parc Soleil, which I strongly recommend one consider if this is a choice....good luck and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Request room far away from main room dividing hotel from Sea World.
26  Thank TCSuwGA
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment due to the reservation mix up. We pride ourselves in providing outstanding accommodations and memorable vacation experiences. On behalf of my entire team, I’d like to apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Nour Hafid
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We've stayed here numerous times and had great experiences, and this was no exception. Great rooms, great property, great rooms, great location... only item worth mentioning on the negative side was the fact that the pool still is not heated, or if heated not at a warm enough temperature. Now they disguise the time share pitch as a special check-in for owners....

aside from that --great stay

3  Thank jeffpags
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have to say that I am mightily disappointed in the overall service I have experienced at the resort.

We were invited to a timeshare presentation in return for a cheap 4 day break at this location. We paid $250.

My wife and I had considered taking an investment in HGVC, but after the experience in Orlando this is firmly on hold.  We attended the presentation on the morning after the day we arrived, so had not had any opportunity to experience the resort, and this was one of the reasons we didn't purchase at the presentation. More on this later!

We were give a room in the 'Sandy' block on the 5th floor.  The two bedroom suite was appointed well, albeit tired and in need of some refresh.  The TVs are really showing their age, and the fan didn't function on the balcony.  As Florida had a cold day, by its standards, we chose to switch on the room heat.  On doing so the room filled with a burning smell, and the smoke detectors went off, emitting their high pitch wail for some 10 minutes, even though I immediately switched off the heating.  We notified reception, but no one ever came to examine the system, reception seeming to be content with their question "is it OK now sir?". I guess this means they don’t clean them very often so they are full of dust - wheeze!

This room is located directly opposite the elevator, and this gave rise to constant droning from the elevator motor room until late at night, and again from early morning.  I guess someone has to have the room next to the elevator, but if you stay here make sure you check where the allocated room is.

The room we had also backed onto another block, and when sitting on the balcony you have the great humming noise of the 6 stories of air conditioning units cooling the opposite block. This is a very poor design, as our 5th floor room had an OK view over the garden and tennis courts, but the din from the airco units ruined any idea of a quiet glass of wine at sunset.

The in room WiFi work intermittently, and suffered slow speed and signal loss on a continuos basis.  It’s also one of those systems where every time you want to get online you have to open a browser and agree Ts&Cs before you can surf etc. Get’s tiresome after the first few times.

Our check out day was Sunday, but on the Saturday we returned from a day out at 530pm to find the room had not been cleaned, and everything was as we had left it.  I immediately called reception who said they would send someone.  45 minutes elapsed at which time I lost my patience and walked to reception and spoke to the duty manager.  He apologised and said he would attend to it immediately.  Another 30 minutes elapsed before a cleaner showed up.  We left for a drink at the bar while she serviced the room.  This really is exceptionally poor service for a supposedly top end Hilton resort.

We took breakfast on the morning of checkout, and this was yet another disappointment to add to the list.  We were served by 'Abby', a rather stern Eastern European young lady, who insisted on wearing very large sunglasses so that her face was partially covered.  We were eating indoors.

Abby seated and attended to two suited Japanese gentleman who had arrived after us, took their drinks orders, and then found the time to bring us menus.  When she eventually came back with our drinks (this location also does not offer sweet tea to the annoyance of my American wife), she took our breakfast order.

After 25 minutes of waiting we noticed that the gentleman who had queue jumped with Abby's assistance had been served their food, but then to our astonishment so had a family who arrived some 10 minutes after us, even though two of their party had arrived some time after the first two, and before anyone had placed their orders.

When we eventually managed to attract Abby's attention she brushed it off as they didn't order an omelette, and this is why we had to wait!  Throughout service she appeared uninterested in us, abrupt, and quite frankly annoyed with having to work.  She had her apron stuffed with check folders, and when she gave us our check, she put down a pile of dirty dishes next to us while she went through the stack of check folders to locate ours.

After finalising our packing we loaded the car and drove round to reception to obtain a final account folio.  We were told the computer system was down and therefore they could not provide an account at this time, but they would email me one as soon as their systems were working again.  Three days later and I'm still waiting.

After 1 week of waiting I had to call HGVC and then go through the hassle of filling in a form sent via email, printing, signing, scanning, and emailing it back to be sent a text file (not formatted at all) of my account charges. I won’t even mention the illiterate way the email was written to me.

I have also had to arrange to have my car detailed due to the hotels sprinkler system that sprays water all over parked cars in the parking spaces.  My car is only 4 months old, and after being sprayed was covered in water stains that will not wipe off with simple washing, and has left large spots all over the paint.  It seems the water has a high calcium content.  In any event, those of us who use their own cars don't want to have to clean this mess off everyday.

The Hotel employs a large contingent of Eastern Europeans and Russians, and while I have worked with many during my career, I can say with certainty that those staff members at this location fail to meet the usual American standards of service normally expected and experienced.

This is a mid grade resort running on a limited budget, and with limited service standards. I am a Hilton Diamond Elite, and therefore expect a certain level of service from Hilton when I stay. I am not a budget traveller and do not expect a budget service when staying with Hilton.

I guess if you want a place to let your kids run wild while you get drunk, this will work out fine.

On the timeshare presentation.

We had a sales manager who was not pushy or unpleasant in anyway, but he did make one or two comments that were unsavory.

When telling us no one could offer us the incentives to purchase again if we didn’t buy there and then, he used an analogy that “if one of our African American friends complained that we got special treatment, Hilton would be in all sorts of trouble, so they had to apply the rules universally”.

He also kept referring to Paris Hilton in numerous disparaging remarks. I may not be a fan of hers, but this is not what I expect to be listening to.

I have written to Hilton to highlight this unacceptable behaviour, and am awaiting a response.

Despite his obviously unacceptable comments we did discover that Hilton can, and will offer similar incentives if we attend another presentation at another location, or at the same location a year later.

Also the mathematics they use to convince you to buy are misleading and I’d urge anyone going on one of these timeshare trips to do some Google searches ahead of time and arm yourself with the facts. Especially the charges made to use the points you purchase at other properties, and to exchange them for HIlton Honors points. They don’t represent such good value.

The interest rate if you purchase on finance is also 12% at the time of writing for a 10 year finance agreement. Make sure you can finance this yourselves before attending. You don’t much for less than $18K, just in case you were wondering, and the top tier costs $175K.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator shafts, and ask if your room faces the airco units in an adjacent building.
13  Thank N0dric
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is an amazing resort! We spent a lot of time at Disney, Universal, and Sea World and wish we could have stayed longer to relax and enjoy the pools. They were soooo warm and we enjoyed swimming with our children without freezing! 7 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom newly remodeled room at the South Hampton building. We had a beautiful view from the 6th floor balcony and saw some gorgeous sunsets. It was relaxing to sit out there just to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. We used RCI points to stay here and my parents attended a tour to get discounted tickets to Sea World. THey said they were not overly pressured.

The staff were wonderful, always helpful, polite, friendly.The only complaint was that no one informed us that they had their own on site "cabs" that used fixed rates until the day we were leaving! We could have saved a lot of time had we known this.

There is a small store on sight if you forget something. They have great coffee and ice cream too! The ice cream was sooo reasonable and delicious - red velvet cake mmmmm.

I would go back here for sure!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view. Newly remodeled rooms were very nice! Southampton House is a short...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This was my first stay at this hotel and it will absolutely be my last. I was in a king bed suite with full kitchen, jacuzzi tub, and screened patio.

I'll begin with the kitchen. The tile floors were FILTHY. I discovered this because I was walking around in the room in my socks and my feet were feeling dirty so I looked at the bottom of my socks and was SHOCKED to see that my white socks were dark brown on the bottom!!!! There is no explanation for this other than the floors had not been cleaned in a very long time. The kitchen cabinets were in disrepair, showed dirt, and were sticky in some places. I cleaned them myself with disinfecting wipes (I should not have to do that!) and the amount of dirt that I removed was appalling.
The light fixture in the dining area and the ceiling fan in the bedroom had cob webs all over them.
The bathroom was the worst of all. The shower had someone else's hair in it indicating that either it had not been cleaned since the last guest or it was not thoroughly cleaned. The condition of the tile surrounding the exterior bottom of the shower was awful. It was in disrepair, dirty, appeared wet at all times. The light switches were dirty and discolored. The cabinets and drawers were very shabby. The interior of the bathroom drawer had peeling paint and it was dirty and definitely not a place where you'd want to put your things. The hair dryer had a black dirt mark on it. The jacuzzi tub had hair in and around the jets and did not appear clean in general. I wouldn't step a foot in there.
The screened patio was so overgrown with trees/plants that you could barely see daylight, I didn't go out there.
On the third day of my stay, my room was never cleaned. I have no idea why.
Staying in this room was nauseating but I had a very busy schedule and when I attempted to find another hotel to move to, I could not find a room so I cleaned every surface I had to touch using disinfectant wipes and reluctantly stayed.
I have requested a refund from Hilton but have not heard back from them yet.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank MissMouse1928
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Let me first thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit with us at the Hilton Grand Vacations at Sea World. Based on your feedback it is clear that your stay did not meet our Hilton Standards and would encourage you to contact the resort directly to speak to the manager on duty so that they can address these concerns and resolve the situation in a timely manner.

Nour Hafid