“Overall a great hotel but fix the bathrooms!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #83 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
San Diego
“Overall a great hotel but fix the bathrooms!”
Reviewed April 4, 2009

I arrived at the hotel late at around 9 pm and the front desk guy knew who we were since we were the last to check-in. I suggest getting a room on the bottom floor close to the lobby so that you do not have to walk far to the breakfast area or to your room after a long day at the parks. Luckily, our rooms were on the bottom floor with close access to everything, such as our car. My party had two rooms and both rooms were ready and clean when we arrived. I will list the pros and few cons of our stay at the Hawthorne suites.

PROS-
Room: The fridge and kitchen were a plus even though all we did was stock up on drinks and snacks. My mother in the other room actually used the kitchen to cook and had no problems. Just as others have pointed out, the beds are extremely soft and feel absolutely heavenly. Room service was always done well and there was plenty of room. Lastly, internet service was complimentary in the rooms and the connection was perfect.
Breakfast: I stayed for a week and waited for bacon to be served (other reviewers stated they served it) but they never did. The only hot items alternated were scrambled eggs, sausage, and corned beef. In addition, some days waffles and english muffins were served with toast offered everyday. Cereal and fruits were offered everyday. We ate the breakfast everyday because even though it was not high quality food it was free and you can't complain about something free. Cereal and bread taste the same no matter where you go anyways. If you still crave something more delicious, a Denny's, Ihop and Waffle House are close by.
Location: The location was perfect for us since we had a car. I highly suggest renting a car to get to the parks and not using the shuttle, which I overheard some guests complaining about. The shuttle will take a long time to get to and from the parks and you are also restricted to few pick-up times. We got a great deal on a car (about $130 with taxes and fees for the week) and great deals can be found on the internet. Also, if you plan on going to Universal then having a car would definitely be more cost-efficient since the hotel does not offer a free shuttle for that park. There are plenty of restaurants within a couple of blocks of the hotel, close access to I-4 with Disneyworld about 5-15 minutes away depending on which park you are going to. A Wal-mart which we frequented was also about 5 minutes away by car. Since the parks close early, I suggest eating breakfast at the hotel, lunch at the park, and dinner out of the park to save money.

CONS-
Bathroom: The bathroom is in need of a renovation. The shower curtain was not large enough to block the the water from spilling onto the floor. The toilet seat was cracked and chipped and the shower smelled of sulfur. Lastly, some of the towels had stains or were thinned out. Once the bathroom is revamped the hotel room would be perfect. It would be an added plus if the hotel could keep up with other properties and replace the televisions with LCD TV's.

OTHER TIPS/COMMENTS:
Before my trip, I did extensive planning and found the book, "Unofficial Guide to Disney World" to be quite helpful. I suggest using the touring plans the book offers to minimize waits in lines (we never waited long in lines!). Also, if renting a car I suggest either bringing your GPS or renting one from the car company. I also want to emphasize that the hotel is not too close to restaurants or stores in terms of walking distance and is somewhat isolated from heavy traffic. On the other hand, if driving then everything is just a couple of minutes away and very close by. The front desk also prints out boarding passes which helped a great deal when checking out.

OVERALL:
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hawthorne Suites mostly due to the fact that the beds were heavenly, free breakfast was convenient, great service throughout the hotel and convenient location.

Stayed March 2009
2 Thank Pippy437

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2009

Spent 2 weeks at the Hawthorn Suites in March. While we were there it was my mum's 73rd Birthday. Before travelling I phoned the hotel on the off chance they could get me a Birthday cake - It was there, on the table in the room when we arrived, and it was beautiful!!!
I was travelling with a teenage son, and my mum (now 73), so we appreciated the space in the rooms at the Hawthorn Suites - didn't fancy spending 2 weeks with just a bedroom between us. The suite was great. Very clean, and spacious. All the reception staff were very helpful, and answered all our queries.
Palm Parkway is a 10min stroll away, with lots of choice for eating out. As others have recommended; Uno's, Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, plus lots more depending on your taste. We also went to Cici's buffet restaurant, which for $8 each lets you eat as much pizza & salad as you could possibly want, with dessert thrown in.
I chose not to hire a car (my mum is the worst passenger in the world here at home, so on holiday it would've been a nightmare!!) We used the shuttle bus from the hotel, which was always on time, sometimes we caught the shuttle back, or caught a cab back to the hotel. We didn't spent a lot less than the insurance package & parking fees in getting around. I know it was a little inconvenient, but to anyone wondering, you can definately get around without having a car.
The free breakfast was a plus. Fresh fruit, cereal, muffins, waffles, bagels and something hot (sausage, scrambled eggs) Previous reviews have commented that the breakfast is a bit repetitive - I must be a bit predictable, I tend to have the same thing for breakfast everyday at home, and appreciated the choice available - and it's free!!!!
Overall we had a great time, and have already booked for next year!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank teetersonheels
england
Reviewed April 1, 2009

after months of searching for a hotel in LBV. we decided on the hawthorn suites as it was getting all good reviews. we have just come back from here and the hotel is superb , very clean the rooms are lovely, staff very friendly. breakfast good. pool isnt too small, there was only ever a few people around the pool which is open from 9am-11pm.complimentary drinks mon-thurs5.30-7.30pm was great and wednesday was beans and hotdogs. free shuttle takes you to epcot where you have to get another shuttle to the other disney parks. you can stay on the shuttle at epcot to take you to universal studios this is free for virgin customers also there was a shuttle bus taking you to seaworld but we only found this out on the last day so not got more information. lots of places to eat near the hotel. totally recomend pizzerio unos. do not go to ponderosa on i-drive the food is awful.it takes about 40mins to walk to downtown disney. we also went to pirates dinner adventure which isnt very good. and went on the miami and everglades tour which was very rushed and spent a lot of ur day on the coach as 1 day isnt enough to see everything.also apparently kennedy space centre is shuting down next year. i dont think there is a fussier person than me but this hotel is great and totally recomend it .would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rucohil
Notts
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We have been to Hawthorn suites 5 times since 1993 and a few other places but this is by far the best place to stay. Ideal place for all attractions nice and quite surroundings and plenty. of restaraunts close by, the rooms are very good the staff are very friendly and proffesional. the few extras like the free breakfast and evening snacks are very much appriciated, some may complain about the breakfast but there is plenty of food to set you up for the day.

• Stayed September 2008
UK
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just returned from two fabulous weeks at the Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista. We cannot fault this excellent value for money hotel. The staff were very polite throughout our stay and were happy to help with any request. The rooms were clean, comfortable and ideal for getting a good nights sleep after a hectic day at the theme parks.

The hotel is in an ideal location to get to all the big theme parks with ease (Disney 10-15 minutes drive time depending on which park & Universal around 20 minutes). We agree that it is probably best to hire a car to get around, simply for the convenience of coming and going at your own leisure, but there are two regular free shuttles back and forth to Disney (Epcot) daily from the hotel and you can take a shuttle to Universal for an additional $10 per person.

We would thoroughly recommend The Olive Garden (Italian Restaurant) just down the road on Palm Parkway, if you want a good quality and affordable restaurant to unwind in on your first night in Lake Buena Vista.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely return to the Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista when in Orlando.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SmurfUk
Cincinnati
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at this Hawthorn Suites. It was the first time we have stayed at a Hawthorn Suites and was very pleased with our experience. We were really impressed with the convenient location, general cleanliness and overall value of this hotel. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and provided good directions and great recommendations for local restaurants. The staff also freely volunteered to print our boarding passes for our return flight. We will stay again at this hotel on our next visit to Lake Buena Vista.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard F
Lexington, Ky
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We loved this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the kitchenette in our suite featured a standard size refridgerator and a dishwasher. The rooms were clean and spacious. There was a large closet in the bedroom as well as a second T.V. And I cannot neglect to mention that this was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in away from home! The location of this hotel is great for both DisneyWorld and Universal studios. We enjoyed the breakfast two of the four days we were there. We found the staff to be pleasant and friendly and overall our stay was comfortable, quiet and very well worth what we paid to stay here.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family