“Great hotel for a reasonable rate”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #81 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I'm here now with my 3 children. The hotel is very nice. I love that the room has a two burner stove and a full sized fridge. The small dish washer is somewhat awkward but still a nice addition. The kitchen is well equipped with a microwave, pots, pans, dishes, cork screw, measuring cups, can opener, etc.... basically anything you might need. For us this was great, since we don't eat out and always prepare our own food.

The room was clean and spacious for the 4 of us. The beds are listed at queen but seem more like doubles. Originally I was going to share with my youngest but he ended up sleeping in his sleeping bag on the floor as he is very wiggly. The beds are super comfortable and I love the down comforter sandwiched in between cotton sheets. This seems a lot more hygienic than the old style quilts that aren't washed between guests.

The living room area has a sleeper sofa and a chair. My middle son said the sleeper sofa was comfortable to sleep on. It was easy to make up each evening and we would put it away after waking up so that it was out the way.

The swimming pool is perfectly adequate for the kids to play in for a couple of hours. I personally liked the hot tub, it wasn't overly hot (I always hate when they are too hot). I found the hot tub a welcome sight after a hard day at the parks.

The staff were friendly and always said hello and were quick to bring you something if something was missing from your room. Luis is especially welcoming and a great addition to the staff at the hotel.

The breakfast bar is nothing special and we personally didn't care for it. There is usually eggs, sausage or ham, hash browns, oatmeal, toast, cereal, yogurt, canned or frozen fruit, etc.... It isn't the kind of food we would usually eat for breakfast and therefore didn't find much of anything we would eat. I did see plenty of people making good use of the breakfast bar though, so it all depends on your personal preference.

My only pet peeve was that you do not get new packets of coffee each day in your room. I can understand limiting you to one decaf and one regular pack per day BUT limiting it to only one of each per stay seems strange (unless you want to pay for additional coffee packs). They do provide coffee 24 hours a day down near the breakfast area. However, I'd really like to make a cup in my room sometimes especially in the morning when I'm not ready to get dressed and the kids are still asleep. I travel several times per year and this is the first hotel that doesn't replenish your coffee packets in your room each day.

Also, for some reason we were put into and room for a disabled person. I didn't notice this until I had unpacked and went into the bathroom. It seemed a little strange that we weren't asked if this would be okay. The biggest thing is there is only a walk in shower and no bath tub and very little counter space. This was not a huge deal but I did find the shower leaked water all over the floor and the floor sloped away from the shower so I had to mop up all the water with our towels after each use. (I usually like to reuse my towels to save water, so this seemed like a waste).

There is no safe in the room. This is strange as I thought this was a requirement for hotels. Where are you meant to keep your valuables?

The hotel does have recycle containers, which I personally appreciate since we like to recycle whenever possible.

The internet was free and worked much better than some really big, expensive resorts that I've stayed at. Since my oldest son and I have to do our on-line classes while on vacation I really appreciate that I didn't have to fight with the internet.

During the week there is a managers reception that offers snacks (chips, pretzels, popcorn, etc..) and free beer or wine (limit 2 per person). This was a nice addition. There's nothing like a glass of wine after a long day out and about.

There was plenty of parking and I always felt like the hotel was in a nice safe area.

Bottom line is I would stay here again and I would recommend it to others. Just bring your own coffee.

2  Thank Anita H
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We are so happy to hear how much you and your children are enjoying your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments, and appreciate your recommendation. Please let us know if we can do anything for you, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We came to stay at this hotel for 16 nights in October 2013 and what an amazing choice it was!! Had the best holiday ever and the hotel offered everything you need big spaced rooms with lovely kitchen, nice living room and comfy beds and clean bathroom, the hotel staff can not do enough for you always offering help booking taxi and offering advise. Not far from any off the parks Disney parks is about 15mins taxi ride and universal parks 20mins taxi ride and seaworld is 10/15mins taxi ride. You could even walk to downtown Disney if you wanted. At the end of the road plenty of restaurants and shops you will not be disappointed with this hotel. Couples, families and groups will all fit in here also offers a great pool, lovely basic breakfast games room laundry room and pc area too. Had a great stay and will be back soon.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for a great review! We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate your comments, and your compliments of our staff. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We really debated to stay on Disney property or not and are so glad with our decision to stay here! Having never been to Disneyworld we were very overwhelmed with planning this vacation. We booked here with Hotwire and got so lucky to be placed at this property. If we had stayed at a Disney Property, we wouldn't have had the kitchen this condo provided us which literally saved us hundreds of dollars! We went to the Winn Dixie down the street and purchased lunch supplies, snacks and water to take in to the park every day. Additionally, we took advantage of the very filling complimentary breakfast buffet every morning which was a further savings. Our intention had been to eat dinner in the park every night. As the parks closed at 7;00 most nights of our trip we ended up stopping at various restaurants and got take out (which offered much better quality at much cheaper pricing than Disney.) There are many restaurants near this hotel. We initially intended on utilizing the properties shuttles to get to the parks, but ended up renting a car for the week. That was the second best decision we made as we had the flexibility we wanted to get to and from the parks, the restaurants, to and from the airport etc.

The property specifically was very nice. Impressive lobby with regard to size and decor. The room was gorgeous. The kitchen area had no oven, but had full sized refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, 2 burner cook top, coffee maker and toaster. We had everything in the kitchen we needed. We had two queen sized beds in the bedroom, and a living area with a pull out couch, 2 television sets and 1 bath. The vanity was separate from the bath tub area which was nice for getting ready in the morning. The room was very quiet. Everything in the room was clean and nicely updated. The staff was exceptional. Maid service was efficient. There was a laundry room a few doors down the hall.

The location of the property was superb, very close to the main entrance of Disney World.

Room Tip: We loved the location of our room, #222, close to parking, a very unused stairwell, and in the back...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for this detailed and wonderful review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our in-room amenities, as well as our great location and fantastic staff. We hope you will come back to stay with us again the next time you are visiting the theme parks.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Excellent location. Very close to everything that is going on and only a very short drive to all of the Disney parks. They also offer a descent morning breakfast. I was looking forward to the breakfast based on the their website, but after getting there I have to say it was a let down. They had the traditional cereal, bagels, fruit melody (tasted like frozen fruit). They also had some eggs and a large dish of cold ham, which did have a good taste. We had a 1 bedroom suite which was ok for our family of 4 including my wife and our 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) but it was smaller than some of the other condos we have stayed in but still comfortable. Very clean overall throughout the entire place. They also came in and replaced our towels everyday. One thing that I absolutely hated was the fact that the thermostat was preset/locked in at 75. We like turning it down to 70/71 at night. You are able to turn it down and the a/c would turn on but a couple of hours later it would be back on 75. I was able to get a very good rate on this place through a discount website and would stay here again if the price was right. Another perk was they did not have a resort fee!

1  Thank Allan S
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thanks for this review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location. We will be sure to pass your recommendations on to our management team. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our stay at the Hawthorn Suites was excellent. The room was very spacious and very clean. The staff from the person who registered us to the maid staff were very courteous and helpful. The hot breakfast was delicious and helped to start our day off on the right foot. The price for the room was great. And the location was very convenient to go to Epcot.

Room Tip: No particular comments
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for this awesome review! We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us was such a great one! We will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff, who will be thrilled to hear that they impacted your stay. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed for 10 nights at this hotel. The rooms were spacious with a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/lounge which is really nice if you want a break from eating out. The complimentary breakfast was a great bonus with ample toast, cereal, juice, tea & coffee and a choice of 3 hot dishes each morning - this is especially useful if you are going on a budget.

We did not have a car and used the Lynx bus service, a bus stop was directly outside the hotel and we found this particularly useful. The hotel offered shuttles to the theme parks, but we did not use these. There are numerous supermarkets and restaurants within 10-20 minutes walking distance of the hotel.

Our room was immaculately clean on arrival, not only looking clean but smelling clean. If I had to state one negative thing about the hotel it is that the maid service was a bit unpredictable. Despite the sign in the room saying that we would have a 'big clean' after 5 nights with bedding changed, this did not happen. Our sheets were only changed after we complained at reception twice and this was on our eighth night, again the room was only vacuumed after we complained at the same time. Despite this, I would consider staying at this hotel again on my next trip to Orlando.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you and your family had a fantastic stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, and fabulous location. We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting Orlando.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel on a quick vacation to see Disney parks and a night at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights event.
This hotel is centrally located and really close proximity to Disney, SeaWorld, Universal and International Drive attractions. Lots of restaurants are within walking distance as well.
The 1 bedroom suite was SPOTLESSLY clean and comfortable. Having a full kitchen is a nice touch, but didn't use it since the free full breakfast in the lobby is plentiful and delicious.
This property is undergoing a lot of upgrades and renovations to keep it sparkly and new. Even with some of these projects going on, we would have never known about them if the desk staff had not told us. Not a sound or spec of dust anywhere!
The staff here is exceptional, a shout out to Paul for his assistance.
If you're looking for a hotel for a family visit or a business visit to Orlando, you will not be disappointed here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thanks so much for writing this great review! We’re so happy you enjoyed your suite, as well as our amenities, and fantastic location. We’ll be sure to pass on your compliments to Paul. Again, thank you for writing this review and we can’t wait to see you soon!