“Could have been a mightmare but lucky it was just poor service. Close to UCF”

Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando/East UCF Area
Ranked #13 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Tampa ,Florida
“Could have been a mightmare but lucky it was just poor service. Close to UCF”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Being a rewards member with Hilton and our son attending UCF, We have booked this hotel a few times( researching colleges, orientation, move in, etc)
In Aug we booked 2 rooms( one for the wife and I and one for my N Laws who are in their 70s) with the rooms adjoining.
We show up to the hotel and check in without incident. Upon loading the room with our luggage, I walk from the room onto the bathroom tile. I busted it right there on the tile. As I lay there checking to see if I broke anything or if anyone saw me( lol. ) I heard the others in the adjoining room say " the carpet is wet" so I yelled out " Do not step on the tile " I got up and told them all the tile is very slick and I just bit it in the other room.
I called down to the front desk and told them that the carpets are wet and that causes the tile to ne real slick when you walk on it from the carpet. I explained how I already fell and thank god it was not one of my N laws who would have broken a hip.
The kid at the front desk said he would send someone up to check it out. The person who showed up explained that the carpets were just cleaned and he will report that the carpets are still wet.
The next call I got was the duty manager who explained that the only adjoining rooms that were not wet was a suite and a regular room but I would have to pay the additional suite rate to move rooms.
After a bit of me chewing him a bit, he said he would move us for the same money. Imagine that....what a guy after putting us in 2 unsafe rooms.
We found that the suite worked well for us. So I went the next day to upgrade one of our 2 rooms for this weekend's 9-14/9-16 reservation to a suite ( and pay for it). Only for them to tell me they can not locate a reservation for that weekend but if I had a confirmation number then they might find it. Knowing I had the reservation number at home I just walked off discussed.
Well called over today to make the change with conf. # in hand only to be told that they only booked me one room with that reservation and they are now sold out. I am sure they booked 2 rooms and probably gave one up to change it to a suite as I requested and then forgot to give me a suite or it is under another # now and they can not find it. Either way, we were screwed.
Had to book another hotel Hilton Garden Inn (to get points) which cost $50 more per night x 2 rooms x2 nights and no breakfast included. So because they screwed up we get to pay $250-$300 including breakfast more for this trip and they said SORRY THERE ISN'T ANYTHING WE CAN DO SIR
This to a customer that progressed quickly to SILVER status in their reward program. Hate to see what they would do for just someone off the street.
If all goes well you will enjoy the place but if it doesn't do not look for any help just leave.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family and I stayed here while visiting the orlando area. We got a great deal on the hotel; however, that's all I can say nice about the hotel. Except for the night staff running the front desk. I didn;t catch his name but he was there all three nights we stayed running the front desk. He was very helpful & friendly. The rooms were awful. The beds were not comfortable. The bathroom had long black hair all over it. The shower didn't drain. The only postive thing in the room was the ac worked well. The pool was nice, and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MMD60
Hampton3450, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando/East UCF Area, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear MMD60,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience you encountered. We also would be grateful if you would contact the hotel to discuss your problems so we can look into the issues that you mentioned. We take pride in the cleanliness and comfort for all of our guest and need to address the problems as quickly as possible. You may contact us at 407-282-0029 Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 5:00pm. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hearing from you.
Suisun City, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Booked two nights for several folks (myself included) for business. Got great rate related to client we were seeing (local biggie). Rooms were immaculate, Internet was fast and FREE, breakfast was tasty and fresh (eggs, fruits, baked goods, make-your-own-waffles), and the staff consistently helpful.

The hotel's nothing special to look at and the location is what it is -- you're not going there as a destination resort :) But the facilities are modern and upscale -- including the dining area, sitting areas, pool and workout room. Special kudos to 24-hour per day workout room!

Room Tip: I'd recommend an exterior facing room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
naples
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I like Hampton Inns, stay at them frequently, but first time here. I was able to get an early checkin which was appreciated. There was a minor problem with toilet which was quickly attended to. The room and the carpet felt a little humid. Location was excellent for university and for many dining locations close by on University Blvd. Also, I disagree with one of your recent reviewers: the breakfast was excellent. Good omelet plus home fries and hard-boiled eggs available. We will definitely stay here again when visiting relatives at UCF.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chazb0
Dear Chazb0,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback and will continue to put our customers first. By the way, I think our breakfast is excellent as well.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon
Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here in June for a Conference with the Leadership Institute out of Arlington, VA.
We were given Suites that consisted of a bedroom, Kitchen/Living Room Combo and bathroom/Dressing Room Combo with a hallway connecting everything. The Suites were mostly up-to-date with WiFi (though I was never able to access this amenity), Flat Screen TV's, a kitchenette area with Stove, Dishwasher, Sinks, Refrigerator/Freezer combo and Kitchen table.
There were 2 AC units for the suites (which I love to keep COLD) and all the suites overlook the Hotel Pool. The Hallways were nice and all had working Ice and Soda Machines. the Hotel has a business center with 2 Computers, Printer, and supplies to make copies and work like in a real office. the hotel staff was friendly - though the front desk staff was all relatively new they always welcomed you by name and Matt (The evening desk Clerk Manager) did his best to help people out and make things right, if he could - in between working the desk himself and training new staff.
The breakfast Buffett fare (served from 6A-10A) was traditional for most mid grade hotels now, though also a bit more elegant and a better selection of the following...edible Scrambled Eggs, some type of Sausage or meat product (one day was sausage, the other was Sausage Gravy for Biscuits) - Muffins/Bagels and Breads for Toast, Fruit like Apples, oranges, & bananas- (Some fresh, some in Syrup like fruit cups), Yogurt, Cold Water, Coffee (all varieties- Reg, Decaf, Robust), Hot Water for tea as well as Oatmeal. flavored and regular Creams, and assorted condiments (jams/jellies/cream cheese/ketchup etc). It was better than I expected but definitely not restaurant quality (ie served for the masses).
Housekeeping was very good and kept the rooms clean, trash cans emptied and amenities like soaps, shampoos and Coffee/Tea and Popcorn full each day for their guests - as well as leaving Mints on the Beds after each Daily service (not chocolate mints but peppermint mints).
Overall - Good for a Hampton Inn hotel. Location was 2 blocks from the UCF campus. There was a variety of nearby restaurants but non were deluxe, mostly catering to school students and visitors (Chipotle/Chic Fil A/Subway/Pei Wei/etc...) in the way of mostly fast foods.
For an event where we basically stayed at the hotel - this is a great location, - safe and out of the "typical" touristy areas of International Drive and the Theme parks in SW Orange and Osceola Counties.
My only problem I encountered here was with the WI-FI and HighSpeed Wired Internet in the rooms - I could not connect by WIFI and for a very short time was connected to Wired High Speed service in the rooms but as I was away from my room for 14 hours a day, I was able to work around this by using the Hotel Business Computers which did get good connectivity and worked well in the Lobby.

Room Tip: Stay in the Suites for the best Value - room and comfort.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando/East UCF Area, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your review Jeffrey C. We love to hear when a guest has a great experience at the Hampton Inn and Suites UCF! We pride ourselves on our friendly staff, hot breakfast and clean rooms and it looks like you loved them all too! I am sorry to hear you had some difficulty accessing our complimentary Wi Fi internet. We are about to take part in the Hilton Worldwide StayConnected Refresh program, so any form of internet problem will be a thing of the past. I hope you get an opportunity to visit us again soon, we loved having you and the entire Leadership Institute group stay with us.
Thanks again,
Bryan Waldron, Sales Manager
Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Average hotel for a Hampton. Adequate size, a little dated. Front desk staff was very nice as we arrived late in the night. Breakfast was the standard bad eggs and toast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Booked many rooms (most of a floor) with a school conference. Breakfast was good, very efficient staff helping guest with food. Most of the rooms were nice, one specific problem with a bathroom that smelled like a urinal. Staff said they sanitized it but it didn't smell any different. Pool closed at 10 PM. Not enough towels at the pool so you had to bring one from your room which meant you couldn't use it to shower. Manager on duty kicked everyone (almost all kids in the pool) out and said it was an Orange County Ordinance. Contacted the Mariott Residence Inn next door and Orange County directly the today and neither one had ever heard of that ordinance. I think management didn't want to be bothered with kids in the pool, eventhough most of the hotel was booked with families attending the same conference. Also, went up and down the halls accusing kids that were outside of their rooms for running around screaming and disrupting guests. Find out your facts before you approach a child. Mine was sitting outside of our room with her teammates rehearsing quietly when they were approached.Rate wasn't that wonderful considering how many rooms we booked. Next year we have all decided to book rooms at the Residence Inn. They have already told us that because of the problems at the Hampton, they would be more than happy to match prices and make the stay more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice machine. It is in the middle of the hallway and is very noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank benbecca
Hampton3450, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando/East UCF Area, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Hi benbecca,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Comments like yours will help us improve on customer service, as well as, the problems that you encountered. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and will have housekeeping look further into the smell in the bathroom. As with most hotels in the area, our pool close at 10:00PM. Because of the location of the pool, we try to respect the guest that likes to retire for the evening early but at the same time give the other guest an ample amount of time to enjoy the pool. We are truly sorry that the pool towels ran out. We always keep additional towels at the front desk as backup. We would really appreciate it if you would contact the hotel at 407-282-0029 and ask for the General Manager to further discuss your issues. Again, thanks for your comments and we look forward to speaking with you.

Linda Miller, General Manager