“Four nights”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando
Ranked #236 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We recently spent four nights in this hotel. We stayed there last year and we were extremely happy so we decided to return. Customer service is not the same as it was last year. Last year we were greeted with a huge smile and given a welcome gift. They offered us an upgrade but we declined. We were called in our room to make sure everything was okay. It was a totally different experience this time around. Instead of welcoming us as a Club Carlson member my husband was asked how he was paying for the room. If she had taken a moment to look them she would have known that our room was already paid for with points. They did not give us a welcome gift this time around. I called with an issue this time around and the lady at the desk sounded irritated. The hotel itself is okay. I like that they have a store and arcade room. One thing I noticed this time around was one night we noticed the breakfast bar was filthy. They did not wipe it down after breakfast. Then two nights in a row we noticed a huge pile of dishes in the black bin. I guess people could have had it in their room but I do not understand why the employees would allow the dishes to remain out there until the next day. This time we noticed that the WIFI connection was AWFUL!!! We did not notice this issue when we stayed there last year. Breakfast was fine. They kept everything stocked. Bottom line, this hotel is okay. I'm not sure if we would return to this hotel. It is okay but after our others stays during this vacation (Savannah Midtown and Florence, South Carolina) this one pales in comparison. I think the main thing that sours us is the customer service this time around.....

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank allboyz
Kelly C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. It is certainly our goal to have each guest leave our hotel happy. Please know that I have passed along your comments to our staff and are working to ensure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was a hotel that I selected as they offered good value for money when I went through the carlson club web site. I was looking for a practical hotel that i could stay in which offered adequate space given that we were 2 children and 2 adults. I got what i was looking for. Clean big good room. A king bed suite. Perfect for us. The staff are courteous and nice. Felt comfortable here. There is a small shop in the hotel which is not over priced. Lots of options to order in (Dont go with the flyers under the door. Check with reception). Good sleep. I am a vegetarian do the breakfast didnt quite work for me. We went to Waffle house on exit 68 I-4. I would not mind staying here again on a family trip.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor. Try if you can get one there. Up from the road helps.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and staying in a one bedroom suite. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed here March 28-April 1 receiving a deal as it is a universal partner hotel, buy 3 nights, get 1 free. We arrived around 9PM, check in was quick but it would be nice if the staff here was just even a little friendly or helpful when asked questions. We booked a standard room which was very large with a sitting area-a sofa bed and a tv. It was a nice amenity to have a fridge and microwave. We received tons of flyers under our door each day from local take out places. The carpet could use a good cleaning. It made the bottom of our feet black! Our tub was gross with our footprints after walking around the room barefoot. The pool area is pathetic. Only 2 lounge chairs for the entire hotel?
The location was decent. The walk was a little far to Universal knowing that you'd be on your feet in the park all day. We tried the shuttle which was beat up, dirty and disgusting. You do stop at another hotel to pick up more guests. We usually took a taxi which was approximately $7. Make sure they start the meter! We had one driver refuse to turn it on and tried charging us $30 to get back to the hotel from Universal. If you have the front desk call you a taxi, make sure one of their shuttle companies doesn't show up. They charge double! We complained to the front desk after this happened to us twice but their answer was this is just the company they use. We also tried the Disney shuttle. We took a taxi to Magic Kingdom since there aren't many shuttles offered to Disney. The taxi to Magic Kingdom cost us $43. The shuttle back to the hotel leaves only from Epcot. It stops at a lot of other hotels. The shuttle from the hotel to the airport was $57 which I think was a good $10 more then to the hotel but then again the hotel called and therefore we got a shuttle and not a yellow cab. Make sure you are not in a rush when asking the front desk to call a cab. It took about 25 minutes for our 'shuttle' to the airport to show up.
Since there aren't any restaurants right near the hotel, we ended up doing a lot of walking. International drive is about 1-1.5 miles away with many restaurant choices, dave and busters, mini golf, etc.
As for the breakfast area, it was always packed with band kids, cheerleaders, just tons of class trips. This is not the fault of the hotel and I did see a staff member ask 3 tables of band members to move as they just sit around, not eating, taking up valuable table space. It really just is luck, depending how crowded the tables are and whether there is food available. One morning the only choices while I was there were toast or waffles. Therefore the waffle line had at least 10 people in it! I ended up standing in a corner, buttering waffles. It also comes down to luck with the coffee. There are 2 coffee stations and there were many times when the coffee was empty or there were no cups. We came back one afternoon and the coffee area was loaded with trash on the counter because there are no trashcans near the coffee. The staff should do a better job keeping the food area clean.
Overall, the Country Inn was decent for the price. It was a little off the beaten path but suited our needs for a couple day. Make sure you grab some Otis Spunkmeyer cookies from the front desk!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LilLaurs11
andismom529, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We are working with our taxi company to ensure that all guests get the same pricing and we are now keeping a pricing sheet at the desk to verify this information. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I choose this hotel as its location

its near to universal studio and being a Carlson member i had enough points to redeem

booked 2 nights and as usual upgraded to suite room while at check

room has 2 part living and bedroom with Bathroom in between

hotel is near to international room with all happening places nearby

hotel also provide shuttle to all studio and Disney world

you can book tickets from hotel itself but beware it is priced high compare to original price

I lost my ipad here and this is the only sad part

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to your next stay and hope that it is in the very near future!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Check in was completed very quickly as the check in clerk attempted to check two people in at the same time, speeding up the process but not very customer focused when you are trying to ask questions and only receiving single word responses or when he turned away to speak with the other guest as I am asking my question. As a Club Carlson Gold I asked for a room upgrade, the single word response was "no" without explanation but he would sell me an upgrade for $20 a night. Not the best of starts to the stay.

The dining area still had the remnants of breakfast, plates piled high in the black collection tubs, complete with bowls of milk and scrambled egg. This was a reoccurring image throughout the stay, food laying around in the black tubs from breakfast until the following day. I appreciate that guests do take food back to their room and can bring their dirty plates when breakfast is finished, but surely an employee can remove the food waste rather than allowing it to fester for 15 hours in the tubs?

It was clear that the lift hadn't received a deep clean for some time as the corners of the floor, where the wooden beading had been broken, you could see ground in dirt.

The room was pleasant, clean, and had a nice smell. The carpets had many stains and the chair in the room was in the need of a serious clean (there was no way I would be sitting on it in its current state). The towels were clean and fresh smelling, the bed linen also looked clean.

The best thing about the hotel were the staff (with exception to the gentleman who checked me in) very polite, willing to help.

The worst thing besides the overall condition was the truly awful wifi. You could always find many guests with their laptops in the breakfast area as you could be guaranteed a signal. My room had no signal unless you were in the bathroom, not enough to view pages but enough to receive plain emails. It was incredibly annoying to hear my phone receive emails via wifi whilst I was sat in the car in the car park when there was no way I could receive it in my room, unless I was sitting on the toilet!

The hotel wasn't expensive. You get what you pay for, just don't expect too much from this hotel and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank At1anticflyer
andismom529, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I've always loved Country Inns, and this one didn't disappoint. The staff, cleanliness, and location of the hotel can not be beat for the price! It's not a 5-star hotel, but they're not trying to be. Exactly what I expected plus some, thanks!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I'm really torn between a 3 and a 4 on this place. There isn't anything devastatingly wrong with it but its riding the edge of maintenance issues. (loose or partially broken fixtures, safe out of order, etc) On the plus side the staff was quite friendly and helpful. Breakfast seemed Ok to me but my wife had a lower opinion - she's not a fan of frozen fruit. The 'business center' consisted of a barely functional computer at the side of the lobby that struggled to display the Universal site so I could purchase the 'necessary' Express passes online. There is a desk there that sells tickets and passes but its only open in the morning. Another plus - they have a well stocked shop that's open till 11 - a rarity for hotels at this price level.
The price is probably the key though - the rates were really good for a property that's only a mile away from Universal.
Since there are no glaring issues and it is such a good rate for a non-motel near Universal I'm going to go with a 4.

Room Tip: Its on the better side of you get what you pay for but don't expect the Ritz.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family