“Great hotel - great location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #102 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Great hotel - great location”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in October for a visit to Disney. We were a little nervous because we knew there was construction going on, but luckily we had no problems. In fact, the little construction we did see happened during the day and was fascinating for our kids to watch! The "Library" area was a great place to corral the kids while making arrangements with the front desk and a really neat perk. The staff was friendly and responsive, and the rooms clean. For the location and price you really can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Wendy D
Sean L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 31, 2011
The library area you mentioned has been upgraded since October and now includes a toddler room with flat screen TV and Blu-ray player. This room is connected to the home theater room which also has a flat screen TV, Blu-ray player as well as the library books. We offer PlayStation 3’s and an X-Box Kinect gaming system with flat screen TV’s in the game room located next to this area. These areas are perfect for hours of fun or relaxation, providing something for every family member during their visit to the Orlando Walt Disney World area. We thank you for your review of our hotel and hope you consider visiting the newest Marriott hotel in the Lake Buena Vista area again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This review is for our stay from 3rd - 10th December 2011.
Family travelling from Ireland.

We have been going to Orlando for over 10 years and we make the trip at least once per year. We have stayed in different classes of hotels and in different locations. 3-4 years ago we stayed in this hotel when it was still the Country Inn and Suites and since our initial visit we have not stayed anywhere else.

We last stayed here in December 2010 before the name change and remodelling. I booked late for this years trip and as I was tracking down the hotel by it’s new name I found its recent tripadvisor reviews and read them with interest. The remodelling work was causing some hassle for guests so in November I rang the hotel to enquire on a number of issues. I was told that while the hotel had changed name it still had the same ownership, management and staff as our previous visits but was now affiliated with Marriott Fairfiled Inn and Suites. I was told that the remodelling was finished. I was happy with what I heard so I booked the hotel for our trip in December.

The exterior of the hotel has not changed much but there have been considerable upgrades to the reception and dining areas and guest rooms. The hotel looks really well and all work seems to be completed.

One the main reason I like this hotel is the customer service. From front desk to the staff cleaning the rooms I have always found them very friendly and professional. I don’t know how many people work in the hotel but there must be a very large staff. I saw many faces that I had seen before.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast is included in the price. Like most buffets it can be busy but if you pick pick your times it’s fine. One of the upgrades was to completely change the dining area. A serving area that extended out to the seating area has been removed giving room for more guests. I think the selection is quite good and there is plenty of it. Oatmeal, waffles, fruit, cereal, yogurts juices etc... Breakfast is the only meal served but the area is available for use afterwards and coffee is always available.

LOCATION
Lake Buena Vista is a great location to bases yourself in Orlando. There are some very nice restaurants in easy walking distance (5 minutes will get you to most). The hotel is located just off the main road in the corner off a small mall area. Across the road there is a Walgreens. If you are standing at the hotel looking straight out at the far side of the carpark you will see Staybridge Apartments (nice place to stay too) just behind Staybridge is a nice supermarket called Winn Dixie (10 minutes walk). The hotel is very close to Disney. I have found driving out to the I 4 and driving south for 1-2 stops the quickest way to get to the parks as you avoid alot of stop start driving caused by traffic lights.

RECEPTION AREA AND GENERAL FACILITES
- 24 Hour Reception
- Comfortable Seating Area
- FREE Wifi (wired in rooms)
- Small shop with essentials
- Very nice games room with new flat screen TV’s with XBOX connects
- Reading Room
- PC Area - 2 PC’s and printer - Free - (one of the best I have seen)
- Night time Security in reception
- Attraction Ticket Sales - open every morning for tickets and advice
- Washing facilities on each floor - Washer & Dryer $1.50 per cycle (Qtrs), washing powder $1 from reception

SHUTTLE BUS - FREE
I left my driving licence in Ireland and it took 2 days to get it sent (UPS €60) so we didn’t have a car for the start of the holiday. We used this for the first couple of days. A taxi can cost $20-$30 each way. The shuttle is shared with a number of other hotels but we were the last pick up and first drop off. Great Service

ROOMS
** TIP Book the family/kids suite. You get a nice sized room but it has a walled off section that gives the kids their own nice little area with a set of bunk beds, a built in unit with table and drawers and a large flat screen TV. I also think there is a games console but we didn’t use it. The main room has air-con, fridge, microwave and coffee machine.

From the first time I visited this hotel I got the impression it was run like a family business and it may well be. I never asked. This has been the reason we kept coming back and it will be the reason we return in the future.

The pool is not huge it’s not a 5* luxury resort but if you are looking for a well located, reasonably priced hotel that is safe, well run, well maintained and with great customer service it will be very hard to beat.

NOTE FOR MANAGEMENT
Bring back the cookies at reception. We missed them :)

Room Tip: If you have kids get the family room/suite
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank joe201
Sean L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
We would like to THANK YOU for your loyalty to our hotel over the last decade. Your review of the hotel was extremely informative, probably the best detailed information we have ever had. We hope to see you back at the newest Marriott hotel in the Orlando Disney area on your next trip. The staff/family here is the same and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel/home.
New Milford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I read most of the reviews prior to booking my family's Disney vacation here. I booked it primarily because of the incredible deal I got on the hotel and thought it was too good to be true...i was fearing ongoing construction but there was none to be seen. In fact, the hotel was very clean, bright, modern and very festive for Christmas time. The king sized bed and sheets were new, clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet had several choices for everyone and the food was wonderful. Our room was cleaned every day while we were gone at the parks and the staff was very friendly. The only thing that threw us off was that the hotel is actually in a shopping plaza's parking lot so we drove past it. You have to keep your eyes peeled. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Family suites are very comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Tamara R
Sean L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
We thank you for choosing, reviewing and recommending our beautiful hotel. The newly renovated family suites are very popular with their PS3 gaming system and Panasonic 32” flat screen LCD TV in a separate area for the kids complete with bunk beds. It is nice to hear you found our hotel to be very clean, bright and modern. Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites Lake Buena Vista for your trip to the Walt Disney World area. We hope to see you back on a future visit to our area at this great location for visiting the Orlando theme parks.
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel's location near Disney is ideal. It is a short drive to the Disney main gate and there are several restaurants within walking distance. The free breakfast was sufficient to hold us over until lunch and the front desk staff was friendly.

The hotel is recently remodeled and has new bedding, carpet etc. but could improve the housekeeping services. I noticed the floors in the room and the hallways did not appear to be vacuumed and there was dirt on the tub and the wallpaper in the bathroom. The bathroom floors also looked like the had not seen a mop in weeks.

We paid $51.75 a night on Priceline, which was a great deal. However, I wouldn't pay more that $80 a night for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jck1234
Sean L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your observations about your stay and for providing information that will help to increase the level of service we provide to future guests here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites LBV. We have shared this information with our housekeeping team and they are taking corrective actions to ensure this isolated incident is not repeated. Thank you again for sharing your feedback as it helps our team to improve.
Oneon
Reviewed November 25, 2011

It's difficult to review since the property is so new (it's a former Country Inns which was totally renovated and just recently reopened as a Fairfield Inn). I think you might need to give them some slack because of that. Nonetheless:
There were a lot of silly things wrong 1) The front desk staff were pretty clueless. For example, our keys had to be made up 3 times till they got it right 2) 5 out of 8 laundry machines were broken the entire week long stay and any time it was mentioned it was always a surprise to the front desk staff, 3) room layout was very impractical with no way to sit at the desk and see anything but a wall and all the doors in the suite banged into each other. Really strange!
There were sillier minor things too, like the room number falling off the wall. I'll attribute it to kinks in the remodeling. By the way, the contractors were still working on property and they were all extremely polite and friendly -- much more so than the staff. (The staff wasn't exactly unfriendly -- emotionless would be a better description, without exception.)

The location is good if you want to be fairly close to Downtown disney or Route 4. It's walking distance to several eateries like Joe's Crab Shack, Millers Ale house and 3 restaurants in an adjacent strip mall. Walgreens is across the street. So for convenience the location is good. But the hotel is on the end of an ugly shopping plaza with no buffer zone and really isn't landscaped. It's just too busy all around you, Nearby parking is very limited but you can park at the strip mall/shopping plaza.

Good stuff:
Breakfast until 10. Very busy all the time and always EXACTLY the same choices, though the choices are pretty good and the food is plentiful.
Some computers provided in the lobby (they are very popular).
Internet speed and quality was excellent -- possibly the best I've encountered, though note I used a wired connection in the room and brought my own router. Wi-fi may be different and I don't think wi-fi is even available in the rooms.
The lobby is pretty roomy and there is coffee available 24 hours.

A room on the first floor means you'll be close to the breakfast area, which is nice. But there's no privacy on the first floor -- anyone walking around outside can see right into the rooms, so we often kept the drapes closed. The first floor is also pretty busy.

Overall, if I was going to stay at a Fairfield here I'd probably stay at the nearby Marriott village. There's a buffer zone there so it feels more relaxing. But this place does have some good points and I hope it will improve -- don't dismiss it outright.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more privacy. First floor if you want to be close to breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Bill G
We thank you for sharing these challenges you experienced and we hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for them. Our management team has reviewed your comments and we worked hard taking corrective actions for every problem you mentioned. We apologize that you had this experience just after our conversion and we appreciate that you made us aware so these issues could be resolved. Thank you for your review, feedback and also for the positive comments.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Chris & Jean Southampton

We stayed at the Fairfield inn and suites from 18/10 until 01/11 and can honestly say we were not looking forward to it after reading the reviews on the web site. Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly reception and welcomed us in a very warm manor apart from the gentle persuasion of an upgrade (but hey this is America, they all want upgrades). The reception was open clean and friendly and plenty of info all around to help with the vacation. The room we had was on the second floor and we were pleasantly surprised at the room, however the TV and fridge furniture did look tired and abused and could do with updating. The bed linen and mattresses were clean and no stains found. The beds were extremely comfortable especially after ten hours in the parks. Good channel choice on the TV and always something to watch.
The bathroom was basic but did what it said on the label and what you did not have enough of the reception and room maids made sure you got. The only moan really was the ice machine in the corridor is noisy and you can hear it so could do with a door on the area but that’s it. We found the worse part of the hotel were the guests, they appeared not to care how loud the spoke when walking down the corridors in the early hours of the morning, please shhhhhhh in future.
The restaurant was basic and everything you needed was eaten off plastic, yeap plastic cutlery, plate’s bowls and cups. The food was basic but good and you could eat as much as you like really and then throw all your cutlery into the bin on the way out.
Although it carries the name ‘Marriott’ above the door do not expect 5 star accommodation but that said it is still cleaner than hotels in the UK. The hotel taxi service was cheap and the drivers were very well trained in making you feel special, so well done them.
WIFI – what WIFIi even the hotel flight booking service did not work correctly but I was not going to let that ruin the holiday.
The food court was ample and you got what you wanted – fast food
Bahamas Breeze bar and restaurant was fantastic and very well worth a visit
All said a well-run hotel with friendly staff that care and want to help you and a fantastic location for Disney but not universal but the I 4 is right outside the hotel and 15 minutes and your there.

Room Tip: do not have a room near the lifts or the ice machines
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank chrishi11
We thank you for choosing our new Marriott hotel near Disney World and for sharing your review with other travelers.
Hamilton Ontario
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I originally booked 4 nights the last week of October. The newly renovated property looks really good. I chose the location as my wife was visiting a friend at Diseny and I was working in the area.

The first, and most annoying issue was the internet. Only wifi in the lobby. You need to hardwire in your room. I was able to create my own network which was a workaround for my wireless devices.

The rooms felt somewhat cramped. I also had issue with there not being a phone at the workdesk in my original room. The air conditioning in our first room was noisey, and didn't have a thermostat to control the temperature. I also noticed things like the elevator hadn't been updated, and it showed signs of long term use, wear and tear. Parking was crammed around the hotel, and the area (strip mall) was a bit sketchy.

The above mentioned; check in was good, and the front desk staff was very kind in working with us to change rooms and find something more suitable.
The decor is modern, the breakfast is really good, well stocked and clean; and the pool a pretty decent temperature. (a hot tub would be a nice addition). Overall, I'm familiar with the area, so I felt safe.

We checked out a day early only because of the overall functionality of property as mentioned above wasn't cutting it from a "work" perspective.
If I was vacationing, I'd consider staying again, however, with 3 kids I would most likely look at other options first.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite, the Air Conditioning units are quieter and run off a thermostat.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mrmusic4ads
We thank you for sharing these problems you experienced and we hope you will accept our most sincere apologies. We are sorry to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations and would like to provide an update. Our new wireless internet system was installed in March 2012 and the guest feedback has been very positive about the wireless experience. In addition, since the time of your stay we have replaced numerous PTAC air conditioners and we have repaired/upgraded others. We thank you for your feedback and we hope you would consider returning to give us a second chance to see that “we are there”.