“Well Worth a Visit... Could be Costly”

Oak Ridge Gun Range
Ranked #29 of 235 Fun & Games in Orlando
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Six of us visted Oak Ridge on the 22 April. We turned up without informing them, but this was not an issue for the range. The staff were welcoming an knowledgable and Oak Ridge is on a tourist tick list!

It is a bit of a drive from the main touristy areas, but well worth the time.

All we had to do to shoot was hand over id's sign a disclaimer, following which we were shown two hand guns, a revolver and a pistol, instructed how to load it and where not to put your thumb!
Other than also being told to wear ear defenders and goggles, and to only open one door to the range at a time, and only to carry the guns in the white buckets supplied, there was no other health and safety instruction given, possibly an oversight on their part as they may have seen us as seasoned shooters! Four of our party where Americans afterall.

There were a number of targets to choose from the usual terrorist to a Zombie, after picking these up along with the guns and the ammunition we went through to the range.

You sorted the targets on the range yourselves and could set the target to varying distances, and between us we fired off 100 rounds fairly quickly, seems a lot, but believe me it wasn't.

Our party was mixed males and females and of course there was differing results, some good, some not so, but it was a good experience for all concerned, and will defintely be a place we will visit next time, and defintely try some different weapons.

You need to be aware of the costs, as again this was not explained at the start, if you let rip with the bullets you will be paying $200 easily, and the targets are on top of this also, but do not let this detract from it all. Give it a go...

3  Thank Newbie2btrue

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Having only ever fired a few guns in my time (.22 rifle and a Lee Enfield 303 (?) from the war, modern day shotgun) I was looking forward to trying out some handguns, just to feel what it was like. So after just turning up & handing over my passport, I had a very eager fella explaining to me in a fun but matter of fact way, the basics of firing a gun, as we had no experience he suggested we start with a 38 special ( this was like a cowboys gun with the revolving barrel that held 7 bullets) I always thought they were "6 shooters" anyway he explained the basics of how to load and unload the gun and then we went into the range ( a big 3 seconds away from the counter) and he showed us physically how to load and unload and where to hold your thumb so you still have it when you leave, there is a large amount of targets to choose from ranging in price from less than a dollar to about 3 bucks. we fired off the 50 pack of bullets in no time, so after safely putting the empty gun in my basket, we went and chose another weapon, this time a 9mm semi automatic pistol (SIG SAUER 2022), this held 15 rounds and it began to hurt my fingers after loading it a couple of times, I guess if you were used to it then it probably wouldn't hurt. so fired off a box with that weapon also, then went onto a semi automatic rifle (BERETTA STORM CARBINE), again great fun and not much of a kick from the rifle as the rounds were only 9mm, most kick came off the 38 special.
We were there for approx an hour and 15 mins total cost for initial lesson, gun rental (one fee covers all the 50 odd guns they have),safety glasses and ear protection, targets (3 large) and 3 boxes of ammo came to $140. Not what you would call cheap but well worth it if you wanted to experience shooting a real gun with real bullets, we used a box of 9mm with our pistol, we could of used half a box then changed to a weapon that also used the same ammo but the days agenda was fairly full so I would recommend allow at least 2 hrs for a visit, the staff were very friendly and knowledgable and they have some tshirts and caps for souvenirs, they sell tshirts that are vacuum packed into the shape of a handgun, when you pick them up they feel like a rubber gun, its a good novel idea, however in todays climate I don't think the TSA would appreciate you having too many of them in your bag going through the x-ray machine!!.
overall I would recommend a visit, you could probably get 2hrs for less than $200 which would be great for 4 people, the main cost is the ammo.

5  Thank JADMIX
Reviewed May 4, 2013

went here for my 30th while on honeymoon the staff was really helpful and took the time to make sure i knew what i was doing and helped me get sorted with lots of different guns will be back here again in november when we visit orlando again

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Welcoming and friendly staff with a good range of guns available for most levels of ability.

The range can get noisy when busy. Even with the ear defenders.

Highly recommend this especially for people who come from countries that don't allow such easy access to weapons.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

They were real professionals, helpful and knowledgeable about their craft and I have to say that this experience was one of the ultimate highlights of my trip [and was a 50th b/d surprise].
the range was well set up and I would recommend anyone with an interest in American guns to give this a visit. I will definitely be going back.