“Something different....”

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Something different....”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

First time at Oak Ridge, and first time firing a gun! Certainly gets the adrenaline pumping! Amazing choice of guns to chose from, but the friendly staff are on hand to help you out. Bit nervous to start, but after some advice really enjoyed my experience. Try something different and give it a go!!

Atlanta, GA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“First time to a gun range w/wife and daughter”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We'd never been to a gun range before. In fact, neither my wife nor daughter (14) had ever HELD a gun. But my daughter esp. has been dying to shoot (blame that on hunting video games!) I saw this had a pretty high rep on TripAdvisor so we tried it out. Be aware that I have no comparison to other places, but we were very happy to have gone.

We arrived mid-afternoon on Dec 30th - high tourist season so we did expect a wait (and got it - about an hour), but that was expected. For those who have never gone, I'll explain in detail the procedure so if you're thinking about going you'll at least know what to do.

First, we got there and there was quite a crowd hovering around the gun cases and counter. I think there were only 3 employees there and they were helping others - mostly with purchases and not specifically related to the gun range itself. There's no line, so it can be a bit frustrating to try and ask someone what to do to get signed up. However, it didn't take long and they took my driver license and put it up on a clipboard after asking me how many people I had (3). They said it would probably be about 1/2 hour but it turned out to be an hour. I understand why they can't really say for sure - there's no time limit and that's a good thing - but that also means people may stay on the range longer than expected.

Then we went to the back of the store where there's a window and you can watch from behind the gun range. It's all indoors btw. Watching was actually quite fun, and seeing the range of weapons being used from shotguns, rifles to large caliber handguns. Why someone would want to shoot at targets with a shotgun is beyond me, but I guess some might just be for practice anyway. Also most handguns being used I noticed were automatically ejecting the shell casings, which explains the need for the eye protection along with the ear.

So finally my name was called and we went up to get our equipment. I chose a nice little .22 revolver (well, really the guy suggested it and it was a good suggestion!). He explained how to load the gun and how to eject the spent bullets. I reassured wife and daughter that I would help them at all times and not to worry. We got our targets (chose 3), and box of bullets (50), donned our eye and ear protection, and went into the range along with an employee. He showed us our "stall" where we would shoot and how to attach the target to the mechanism that moves it back down the range.

I loaded up 6 bullets into the cylinder and tried it out. Gun was perfect for our level, little to no kickback and no auto ejection of the shells. On a couple occasions a bullet didn't fire so when ejected it was obvious and we could just put it back in to try again. Wife went next and I showed her how to hold the gun, pull back the hammer, and pull the trigger. She did fine but was still nervous and left the range after her first round of 6. Oddly enough though, on her first shot she managed to shoot the string that moved the target back and forth. (Good shot!).

An employee had to come in, stop all the shooters on the range, and fix that. But everyone was good natured about it and it didn't take long. Then my daughter and I took turns firing. Eventually the wife got up the courage to come back in and try a few more. I'd say we were in there about an hour before we used up the 50 bullets, and that was fine. We were quite slow in loading, unloading and shooting compared to more experienced people I'm sure, but one box of 50 was just fine for us.

Total cost was about $64 for us. That includes about 20 for the gun, $10 per person, $10 for ammo and the cost of the target. Not bad at all for a new experience for all of us!

6 Thank 1BlueDragon1
Orlando, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Excellent Place - clean, friendly staff and large selection!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I spent a few hours trying out different types of guns looking for something comfortable to buy. The employees were awesome! They gave me lots of good info on the differences between guns and even let me shoot one of their personal guns! It was a great deal for ladies day as well! Highly recommend this place to learn or for the experienced!

1 Thank brittwhitt
Mansfield, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Been to the range today first time I have fired a weapon since leaving the Army in 2006. Currently on a 2 week holiday in Orlando. Had a great time and could spend a fortune there. Staff friendly and helpful amazed at what you can buy in this country!! I spent $87 and fired 50 rounds on the 357 Magnum and 50 rounds on the Glock 19 (my favourite) good choice of targets to choose from. Make sure you take a form of ID with you as staff will ask for it. I would recommend this shooting range to anyone. My only concern is no safety supervisor on the ranges and any Joe Blog can get their hands on a weapon and do whatever they wanted with it...no criminal checks done or anything it is literally pay and shoot. Really enjoyed it though!

1 Thank Luke B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Good fun.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went to Oak Ridge Gun Range today and had a great afternoon.

Talked to the owner for a while until it was our turn to use the range, (waited maybe 20 minutes for a slot) he realized I had used guns before so just left us to it.

Price can range from a few dollars upwards but there is no pressure to upgrade at all and staff were all friendly and helpful.

Girlfriend had never used a gun but soon got into it and after a .38 special wanted to try a .44 magnum!

We shot 150 rounds, 50 rounds with each .38 special, .44 magnum and .45 rifle and paid $138, we could have paid less but for a treat it was well worth it.

Staff and facility are good and we would definitely go again.

Visited November 2012