“Great location = gross room”

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #257 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Booked this online and thought I has scored a great deal. The Lobby is nice enough and the staff very helpful. I stayed in D building and wow.... The entire building smells like hospital grade cleaner but is still filthy and rundown. It felt like I was staying at a rundown motel, not a family resort. The pool area looked pretty cool but the gator enclosure was just sad... I saw similar gator displays all over the main strip and can't understand how the city allows this. Pitiful. All and all this place sucked and I couldn't wait to leave. If you want to be smack dab in the main strip ( which consists of awful souvenir shops and LOW grade amusement parks) stay here. Otherwise there are much nicer places for better prices.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank RoxyMonoxide
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I was disappointed to read that cleanliness was an issue and will share your comments with the proper department heads.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,246)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Not a bad hotel but the place needs things doing to it, liftts , showers and baths etc need to be updated . On the good side ... I ride trolley stop just out side and the free bus to universal cannot fault

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lornauk1

I wanted to share with you that we are continually working on updating the resort to give it a new, fresh look and feel. I appreciate your comments and hope when you come back, you will definitely be able to notice the changes.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Nice, helpful staff and the swimming pool area is clean and welcoming with the alligators too. First room we had was horrible with no carpet outside just concrete..but asked to move and the room they gave us without a fuss was really nice. Air conditioning units can be a little noisy but considering the price it's quite good for the money

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Will M

I am pleased the staff was helpful and you felt you received a good value.

I hope this means we will have the opportunity to see you again in the future and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Just spent 4 days at this hotel with me and my two boys. We had a wonderful time. Its located right in the middle of so many things to see and do. The pool was very nice and the hot tub felt wonderful after walking all day at Universal. We flew in and got to the hotel a few hours earlier then scheduled check in and I was very tired and stressed from the terrible flight we had to endure and had to boys that were starving and getting impatient, and the wonderful lady at the front desk realized I was not doing very well and managed to find us a room so that I could get myself together and that changed the whole dynamic of the trip.. Things just fell into place and they were all so very helpful. Our room was average.. If you are a hotel snob this is not the place for you.. but I think it served our purpose just fine. And my boys loved the gator exibit behind the pool that you can visit anytime.. We stayed in the tower side and it was clean, and excellent A/C and perfect for the small time we were there.. We ate at the hotel one evening and had chicken quesadillas (sp?) and they were fresh and amazing.. We took advantage of the coupons givin to us at the front desk and had S'mores by the pool one evening, had a free dessert at the bar restaurant of mango cheesecake which was awesome and I also got a free drink from the bar.. I noticed they were doing alot of carpet cleaning and painting to update the hotel and it was very nice. We walked across the street one evening to a place called Mrs. Potato for dinner and found a gold mine... You order at the walk up window.. I suggest trying a Rosti Potato, you will not be dissapointed, sat at the picnic tables and people watched and ate one of the best meals we had there.. You must try it... All in all, I would stay there again.. I've stayed in fancier, but also paid much more,, so you get what you pay for, its clean, the people are nice and we had no problems at all.. They went out of their way a few times to make my situation better and that is good service that I would return to anytime.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JDGOkc
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

I am very pleased you and your boys had such a memorable trip and that our staff was able to make your stay comfortable.

Thank you for noticing the painting and constant cleaning we are doing. We are diligently working throughout the resort to improve our appearance and our standards of customer service.

I will share your comments throughout the property and want to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I won't be negative in a derogative manner about this hotel simply because we had an amazing time but I will give constructive critism.The last time we visited Orlando, I stayed in this hotel under the Holiday Inn chain, bearing in mind it was ten years ago, nothing seems to of changed, the staff as then were awesome, always on hand and extremely helpful,the rooms are the same as I remember them, excluding bed covers and the lifts, well they are very slow, and in need of an update
When we got to check-in I was greeted by a very friendly smiling receptionist, who couldn't of been nicer if he tried, I gave him my name, he then asked me if i wanted a low or high floor, I explained to him I wanted a room with a nice view as this was my daughters first ever holiday abroad and I wanted it to be the best experience ever. I was given a room in the tower on 12th floor over looking IDrive,the views were fab, especially at night. The bedroom was clean and the beds were very comfortable, I did find an amount of dust at side of old style tv and on the shelf of the bedside cabinet, I wasnt looking for it, I could see it when I made myself a coffee, the bathroom tiles are definitely looking very tired and in need of replacing as is the bath and furniture, other than giving the room an update the hotel is good value for money. The reason I chose this hotel was what it offered, FREE shuttles to all the parks, most of them provide shuttles to Universal but not Disney, this was a must for me as we wasnt visiting Universal on this trip, FREE internet access, an on site restaurant and FREE internet .
I would like to give PRAISE to ALL the STAFF of the hotel, nothing was ever too much for them to deal with, always smiling and very helpful
I do feel it a shame for the hotel that this area of IDrive is beginning to look tired and unloved, lots of regeneration has and is still happening up the other end, hopefully whoever is in charge of regeneration (local government) will look at north end of Idrive too. Overall my daughter and I had a very memorable holiday for all the right reasons, I would recommend the hotel to friends and family as a base simply because of the STAFF and its location, iRide stops directly in front of hotel and there is a Ponderosa opposite, I think people have to remember a hotel is just somewhere you rest your head after a long day at the parks, if the bed and linen are fresh and clean, then any other little niggles can be rectified and will be as I found out... One last thing I want to mention, the Gators, yes you will get to see Alligators up close in a very safe environment and be able to chat to and learn some interesting facts from thier keepers who are happy to answer your questions.
Thank you Palms, hopefully my daughter and I will return........

Room Tip: Tower room, IDrive view
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Cojasmin T

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I am so very happy your daughter's first trip aboard was such a pleasant one and full of wonderful memories.

I hope we do have the privilege of serving you again in the near future and appreciate the fact that you would recommend us.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks with our 4 children.
The staff were really friendly and helpful with everything,
our rooms were cleaned every day, so we have absolutely NO COMPLAINTS .
Free shuttle to all parks, wet n'wild is 2 mins walking from the hotel, Universal is around the corner too.
Shops and restaurants are opposite of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Barbara K
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

I am so very happy you enjoyed our excellent staff, clean rooms and wonderful location. We have been working very diligently on improving our property and I appreciate your noticing the differences.

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a two week holiday during Easter (April 2014). We had chosen the hotel through Virgin Holidays brochure and to tell you the truth we were very disappointed with the outcome.
Firstly, the locaiton of the hotel is ideal. It is surrounded by excellent restaurants and very close to all the parks and shopping centres. However, the hotel itself is much to be desired. On arrival we had to wait over 45 minutes to be attended. We arrived on a Saturday evening and only two people were on the desk. Once we were served we were told that are rooms weren't on the same floor and that the lift was broken. The hotel is divided into various buildings. One of the buildings "The Tower" is a place I do not recommend. The lifts have been faulty for quite some time and the rooms themselves are old and dark, Unfortunatly we were placed here. My father is over 60 so we complained and managed to get moved the next day. One thing I can definitly confirm is that the staff are lovely. They are willing to help, are kind and understanding, it is just such a shame that the hotel is so run-down.
Anyhow, we were moved the next day to a different building with working lifts. Our new rooms were Ok. However, again the whole building needs revamping. The carpets are stained, the lifts are ancient and dirty...etc.
The pool and gym are nice and so is the bar. We didn't have meals included so cannot say anything about the breakfast. Cleanliness wasn't fabulous, whilst we were there we noticed our room had not been vaccumed once and the gym could do with a dust and hoover too.

Room Tip: So if you are staying here watch out for the tower and mention anything to the staff at the front de...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rebekiya

I am pleased you enjoyed our excellent location and great staff. I apologize for the issues we had with the elevators over Easter, but they have been repaired and are no longer a problem.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I will share your comments with our department heads.