“DO NOT LISTEN TO BAD REVIEWS” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of International Palms Resort & Conference Center

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #261 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“DO NOT LISTEN TO BAD REVIEWS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

after reading bad reviews on this hotel i was so worried about staying here, after just returning home from a 2 week stay i cannot say enough good things about this hotel. we had 2 rooms and both were absolutely fine, we stayed in the tower block which looked a bit daunting at first but was fine. the rooms were cleaned daily and we had fresh towels and toiletries everyday. the staff were not helpful enough, although rooms are a bit dated they are still CLEAN which is the most important part as you are only there to sleep and shower as so much to do. the views from both rooms were amazing and the location is second to none. I am very fussy when it comes to hotels and i thoroughly enjoyed my stay, this hotel is not given enough credit for the hardwork they are putting in to improve the hotel. i would very much stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sian T
International P... O, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met and exceeded your expectations. I have shared your comments with the entire team. Again, thank you for your kind and gracious comments regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received during your stay.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aberdare, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

On arrival to hotel ,the hotel looked nice (looks can be deceiving ). Checking was fast and friendly,
ROOM1- on opening the door we were hit with the smell of smoke and dampness ,it was very dark ,the lights didn't work and one light was hanging off wall ,no way was I going to stay in that room. went back to check in desk told them about room they gave me another room on a once only view,they said that this room was recently modernised (couldn't find where they had even painted). After a long journey with delays we took the room.
ROOM 2- we had requested a pool view ,our view was of i4 ,the road that didn't stop . The air con in the room sounded like a jet engine so if we wanted it on we couldn't sleep ,if we left it off we cooked in the heat and couldn't sleep because of i4. There was a funny smell most of the time , the carpet was so dirty you had to wear shoes to keep your feet clean. In the bathroom you could have a shower and bath the same time as the drain did not drain the water very fast .
Security doors to complex did not work so anybody could have walked off the street at anytime and got to our rooms (no security at all ).
Pool was the best part about hotel .

Room Tip: Believe the bad reviews .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret the resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide. I am particularly sorry that you did not bring your concerns to our attention during your stay so that we could meet your requests immediately. I would love to hear what room you was in, please contact at your earliest convenience. I have shared your comments with our executive housekeeper, chief engineer and director of front office operation. Again, thank you for your comments.

Assistant General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Ok, so let me start out by saying the staff was nice but the hotel is one you should pass on.

We arrived the day before Thanksgiving (staying 3 nights) and the hotel didn't seem too full. Desk staff was nice and check in was quick. We had booked through Travelocity and had prepaid for the hotel. There were resort fees ($7.50/day) but those were well published before hand and I expected them.

Room #1: We got to the room, first floor building D, and the key card unlocked the door, but the door was dead bolted from the inside. Not the "chain" lock, but the dead bolt itself. At first I thought we had been given a room with someone already in it, but after trying the door several times, no one answered it. I went back to reception and told them. Their first response was they would send "engineering" to open the door. I requested a new room. They have a 14-story tower with a central atrium and I requested something in that building towards the top. The 14th floor is actually the 13th, but it is one of those buildings were the elevator has 12th and then 14th. We get to the 4th floor and the room we were given doesn't exist. The room numbers started one number higher than the room I was told. At that point, we joked that it couldn't get any worse...wrong.

Room #2: After walking the level twice, I called the front desk from the house phone near the elevator. The girl is the same one who switched my rooms to begin with and it turns out the room she gave me was on the 4th floor and she didn't realize that. She insisted that she bring me keys to a room on the 14th floor and to meet her in the atrium (like I said, the staff is nice). So I didn't even get to see room #2.

Room #3: I wish I had stuck with room 2. This room was "upgraded" from the room I choose when I checked in. I was given the option of a king bed or two double beds. It didn't really matter which one I had, but I choose the double. I only put upgraded in quotation marks above because the girl made it sound like I was being given a better room, but it was just the king room which also had a sleeper sofa. The room smelled faintly of something that we couldn't place until later on (but I will save you the suspense: urine). We had been driving all day and wanted to go to Downtown Disney so we dropped our luggage off and headed out. The weather had turned cold in Orlando and it was about 45 F when we returned at 12:30 am. So, I turned on the heater. I do understand that when a heater is turned on for the first time of the season that it has to "burn" of the dust from the coils and there is that almost oddly comforting, "winter time is hear" smell for a few minutes. This was different. It smelled as if a live animal had been set on fire. The smell of acrid smoke filled the room and set off the room's fire alarm. I quickly turned off the unit as I gagged and nearly vomited from the smell. While the alarm was going off, I called the front desk to let them know there was no actual fire but no one answered. Meanwhile, my partner came of the bath room and started gagging as well. We propped the door open and tried the front desk again...no answer. I went over to the house phone near the elevator and called. The desk clerk indicated that she new the alarm had gone off (it did stop), but didn't seem concerned. Engineering is on their way. After waiting about 15 minutes, we packed our bags with the intent of requesting another room. Engineering was no were in sight. That smell wasn't going anywhere. Even though the room was fully paid for 3 days, we serious discussed checking out at a loss. Now on to room #4.

Room #4: She tried to give me the connecting room to to the "burning animal room" but I insisted we be moved to another building. This building was at the back of the property away from International Boulevard next to the the tree line...the tree line that separated the room from Interstate 4. You didn't really notice it outside, but inside the room, you would have thought the room was on the shoulder of the interstate and earplugs didn't help. This room smelled clean and looked clean so we brought our stuff in (we had checked out the room first this time). We got settled in at 1:10am and turned the heater on...same burning smell, so it was turned off. The room was warm enough. The odd thing was that the beds had no blankets. 1 top sheet, a VERY thin duvet that was more like an extra thick sheet, and a decorative sheet (not a duvet cover). The beds were fairly comfortable. In the night it did get cold so the heater was turned on with no smell. The bathroom had a vinyl tub insert fitted over the existing tub as part of the remodel. However, the seals had broken and water had gotten under the insert. The bottom of the tub felt like a water bed and it made a gross slushing noise as you stepped around. The tub also wouldn't drain nor would the sink. They both had very slow drains. There was enough standing water that when you were done showering or brushing your teeth, both were about half full. We ended up staying because it would take time away from our leisure time to find another hotel. The second night we found out why the heater didn't smell. Apparently the unit had burned out the night before when I had turned it on. Only the fan was running. While laying in bed on night 2 there was the sound of arching electricity inside the A/C unit and the unit kicked on and off several times while we looked on in horror that it was going to explode. Finally a big zap and it was gone, just the fan continued to run. It had gotten warmer outside and the room didn't get too cold the next two nights.

As compensation for the repeated room switching, I requested the resort fee be waived (a whopping $23). Instead they suggested I get free breakfast (a $11.99/person value) for the three mornings I would be there. If they suggest this, skip it and insist on a free night. The breakfast was a European continental breakfast not American (if you are European, then you should know a continental American breakfast are danishes, muffins, cereal, and a waffle bar if you are lucky). If you are American, then you should know a European continental breakfast consists of the American stuff plus meats and cheeses, yogurts, muesli (dry oat cereal), eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. I was impressed to also see the makings of a full English breakfast as well (my British friends will get that one). The food was as expected, nothing spectacular, but they did have an omelette/egg bar made to order. The problem was that with the free breakfast vouchers, we were TOLD no less than 3 times that tip was not included so we shouldn't forget that. The problem was that I don't typically carry cash and being free as a courtesy, I couldn't use my card. So we ended up not eating breakfast again because I didn't want to be rude to the pleasant waitress.

So in short....skip it.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank k p
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret the resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide.I took the liberty of reading your review at our morning meeting and instructed the management team to share it with their associates. But I must say I am particularly sorry that you did not bring your concerns to my attention during your stay so that I could meet your requests immediately. Again, thank you for your comments.

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Myself, husband and son all recently stayed at the palms for our two weeks holiday.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our full stay.
The staff who deal with bookings for the shuttle buses and park tickets were also very helpful and friendly throughout our stay.
The shop staff were also very friendly and helpful throughout our full stay.
Also the guy at the outside pool hut was very funny, pleasant and friendly for our stay, also all bar and kitchen staff were all very friendly and pleasant throughout our full stay, in particular,.... Bonnie, Simo and Marybeth were very friendly, helpful and an absolute joy to have around whilst dining for our breakfast.
Kenny the manager was also very friendly and helpful going out of his way to make our stay there great.
The staff who cleaned our room daily were also great, always making sure we had clean fresh bedding and towels.
The location is perfect for getting to all parks, also having lots of local shops and places to eat!
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at international palms and would defiantly stay there again and would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. I have shared your comments with Bonnie, Simo and Marybeth. Again, thank you for your kind and gracious comments regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received from our entire team, they are greatly appreciated.

Keighley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

C block - sent to this from arrival and was absolutely shocked at the state of the accommodation, went to complain and asked to move was informed that this block had been just renovated and the other lower rise blocks and tower block were far worse i don't think the staff knew what the word meant and i informed them it was a complete sham and never renovated since first built, dirt and bits of food on the walls, bath terribly stained what with we could not tell but definitely needed a replacement, no veranda and the windows would not open, out of date air con and not sufficient to keep the room cool, no kettle when advised by their brochure and the staff at the hotel this would be available, $12 per person per breakfast this adds up over the time your there, outside area better than the inside, no kids play area in or around the pool I could go on and on but it makes me sick thinking of the cost i paid for a sham of an hotel. No never again thomson holidays and i went into their local shop to let them know and they did not seem really interested as they had already been paid for the holiday.

Room Tip: Read trip advisor first
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret the resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide. I am particularly sorry that you did not bring your concerns to our attention during your stay so that we could meet your requests immediately. I am truly disappointed that your children did get an opportunity to enjoy our outdoor chess game, hamcocks, alligator enclosure, volleyball court and game room. We do offer kettles free of charge and it would be our pleasure to purchase one for our guests if needed. Our breakfast buffet is $11.95, includes omlet station and all you can eat and well worth the price. Again, thank you for your comments. We have free internet and computers for our guests in the Lobby and free transportation to the parks. I also find it strange that a Thomson Representative did not contact the hotel as is the norm? Thanks again for your comments.

Potterville, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The positives: Fabulous location! Only a 5 minute drive to Universal Studios. I could see Hogwarts from my bed on the 14th floor of the Tower! Cool! The cost of the shuttle to US was covered by the Resort Fee. The drivers were very nice and efficient. It was so much nicer than having to drive and park ourselves.

The pool area really is beautiful. The bar staff are great.

The price was very reasonable. The wifi was good. The staff that we interacted with were very friendly and helpful. The room and grounds were very clean. The courtyard in the tower was pretty.

The negatives: The air conditioner was very loud. It didn't keep me from sleeping but it really was loud. The carpet through out 14th floor and our room was shabby. And the blanket on our bed was very shabby. If it were mine I would have thrown it out long ago. We didn't have any trouble with the elevators but they are definitely showing their age.

Room Tip: We were in room 7442 on the 14th floor of the Tower. Nice view but the air conditioner was LOUD.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. Again, thank you for your kind and gracious comments regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received from our team.

Peterlee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Went for 2 weeks with my girlfriend, her third time, my second. First time, fantastic stay, second time even better. This place has everything you could ask for. It couldn't be in a better location with easy access to public transport, a stones throw away from wet and wild, a short distance away from all the major parks in orlando including disney. A bus or short taxi ride away from Florida mall and Mall at Millenia. Wallgreens a short walk away + a million fantastic places to eat.
Each time we have been met with excellent customer service, just about every employee is friendly, marybeth, the guys behind the bar, the girls behind the main desk and luis, there all great.
We got a room in the tower block but my girlfriend has a phobia of lifts so we got our room changed, the only question they asked us is would we like to have a look at the other room they assigned us before we move our stuff in.
We thought our flight was a day earlier than it was so we went to check out, and "sarah" I think, told us we had another day left. So of course we were all spent up and had $20 for 2 days worth of food for 2 of us, so she gave us two free breakfasts and two free dinner vouchers at the hotel. I also noticed a couple of others having breakfast vouchers on there check out day, which is great.
In addition to the point that this hotel has everything, we counted 7 different types of animals just from the main desk to our room including countless squirrels, lizards, a snake, even a cat!(which they should keep) They have rescued alligators too.
wifi throughout, Jacuzzi <3. Also they have a desk where you can purchase all the tickets from + free transfers to the parks + iride passes(recommended) also their rent a car place + gift shop(the people who own that are very kind to!)
There's obviously a couple of downsides because no wheres perfect. The pros outweigh the cons by far. It's definatley excellent value. You need to go there!

Room Tip: We had a bad wifi connection in block B and there is some noise from the motorway or "turnpike...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple