“Recently stayed at International Palms”

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #259 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The positives: Fabulous location! Only a 5 minute drive to Universal Studios. I could see Hogwarts from my bed on the 14th floor of the Tower! Cool! The cost of the shuttle to US was covered by the Resort Fee. The drivers were very nice and efficient. It was so much nicer than having to drive and park ourselves.

The pool area really is beautiful. The bar staff are great.

The price was very reasonable. The wifi was good. The staff that we interacted with were very friendly and helpful. The room and grounds were very clean. The courtyard in the tower was pretty.

The negatives: The air conditioner was very loud. It didn't keep me from sleeping but it really was loud. The carpet through out 14th floor and our room was shabby. And the blanket on our bed was very shabby. If it were mine I would have thrown it out long ago. We didn't have any trouble with the elevators but they are definitely showing their age.

Room Tip: We were in room 7442 on the 14th floor of the Tower. Nice view but the air conditioner was LOUD.
1  Thank Cathy L
International P... O, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. Again, thank you for your kind and gracious comments regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received from our team.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,244)

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Went for 2 weeks with my girlfriend, her third time, my second. First time, fantastic stay, second time even better. This place has everything you could ask for. It couldn't be in a better location with easy access to public transport, a stones throw away from wet and wild, a short distance away from all the major parks in orlando including disney. A bus or short taxi ride away from Florida mall and Mall at Millenia. Wallgreens a short walk away + a million fantastic places to eat.
Each time we have been met with excellent customer service, just about every employee is friendly, marybeth, the guys behind the bar, the girls behind the main desk and luis, there all great.
We got a room in the tower block but my girlfriend has a phobia of lifts so we got our room changed, the only question they asked us is would we like to have a look at the other room they assigned us before we move our stuff in.
We thought our flight was a day earlier than it was so we went to check out, and "sarah" I think, told us we had another day left. So of course we were all spent up and had $20 for 2 days worth of food for 2 of us, so she gave us two free breakfasts and two free dinner vouchers at the hotel. I also noticed a couple of others having breakfast vouchers on there check out day, which is great.
In addition to the point that this hotel has everything, we counted 7 different types of animals just from the main desk to our room including countless squirrels, lizards, a snake, even a cat!(which they should keep) They have rescued alligators too.
wifi throughout, Jacuzzi <3. Also they have a desk where you can purchase all the tickets from + free transfers to the parks + iride passes(recommended) also their rent a car place + gift shop(the people who own that are very kind to!)
There's obviously a couple of downsides because no wheres perfect. The pros outweigh the cons by far. It's definatley excellent value. You need to go there!

Room Tip: We had a bad wifi connection in block B and there is some noise from the motorway or "turnpike...

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Spent two weeks in September at this hotel and can't fault it, the rooms were large comfortable and clean, the hotel staff were polite and very helpful, bar staff by the pool and in the bar were very funny. Best of all free internet and never had any trouble getting on the computers, we only used the restaurant once, but my husband said it was the best breakfast he had eaten in the two weeks. If I return to Orlando again I will be using this hotel. The pool was great as was the hot tub, and there was plenty of assorted comfortable seating around the hotel. They have really gone that extra mile to guarantee a comfortable stay, and very good value for money. Well done all the staff.

Room Tip: I had a tower room, and would choose this evertime
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria S

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Have just stayed here for three weeks with my girlfriend and have no complains what so ever about the rooms or staff

Our room was cleaned everyday, staff were friendly and always happy to help, the managers even had a meet and greet on a Wednesday which was nice

The only slight complaint would be the lifts in the tower block, although the lifts didn't effect us as we were on the bottom floor of the tower if I could suggest one thing it would be to upgrade the lifts

All in all though the hotel is brill in a brilliant location will defiantly be returning again in the future

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine don't listen to all the bad reviews
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam D

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently stayed at the International Palms Resort and had a very pleasant time there. The rooms were comfortable and the swimming pool and bar area were delightful. There were lots of restaurants in the immediate area.
The hotel is situated in an area from which it is easy to travel around the main Orlando area and an excellent tram services stops outside the hotel. Mr Luis Gonzalez, the Assistant General Manager, and his staff were helpful, polite and pleasant, always ready to assist with information and directions.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret186406

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I would not normally take the time to write a review but after coming home to the UK and sharing our experience with friends and family, it was suggested that other travellers know what happened to us.
My family of 5 stayed at the International Palms for 15 nights in the beginning of October. This was the first trip to the US for my two youngest children and they were excited for Disney and Universal (especially Halloween Horror Nights). We booked a room to accommodate 5 people through our travel agent. Upon arrival to our room, we found only two double beds. We were under the impression it was supossed to have 2 double beds and a pullout sofa (we have also taken this matter up with our UK travel agent). We went back to the front desk and spoke with a young woman who's name started with a Qanay(?) (I most likely spelled that wrong). We explained our situation and she was extremely polite and apologized. She explained the room set ups and offered us a complimentary rollaway. While having one of my children sleep on a rollaway bed was not exactly my first choice, we could not afford the alternative, which was to buy
another room.
Two days go by and our room had not yet been serviced by housekeeping. We called the front desk and they said they would have someone come up right away. The housekeeper did arrive quickly and we were given fresh towels and our trash was emptied but that was all. We figured that was fine since it was very late and our children were quite tired.
On the 5th night, the room next door to us became occupied by either a couple with insomnia or a prostitute. The door was opening and closing at all hours of the night, loud noises, phones ringing, doors opening again. It was unbearable. Since we had really settled in to the room we did not ask to move. We bought ear plugs for our family at the Walgreen pharmacy down the road. Luckily, my children aren't old enough to know what was really going on over there. The noises stopped after 3 nights.
Housekeeping continued to be an issue. We spoke with a supervisor at the front desk named Maria (if I recall correctly) and asked why it was that now nearly a week into our stay, we had only seen that housekeeping had serviced our room twice (if we consider the first time we called down to request a housekeeper as "service") and we had to call down for fresh towels every day. We also again mentioned our situation with the accomodations as far as the number of people in the room. We were met with a very cold expression and tone from the supervisor. It was as if she had absolutely no empathy for our situation. Maybe it was because things like this are a common occurence but I would have at least thought there would have been a little more care in her approach. I honestly think she is really just not an emotional person and therefore cannot convey empathy. She did apologize and provided us with 2 days of breakfast coupons for the inconvenience. Even though I really was not satisfied with this resolution, I accepted it just so that I would not have to continue to speak with Maria and feel as if I was bothering her. I took a business card for the front desk manager Jaycee and figured I would ask to speak to this person at a later time.
Two more days go by, still no full service. By now I am extremely frustrated because it seems like the only way to get a full service is if you catch a housekeeper in the hallway. I go down to the front desk while my husband occupies the kids at the pool and the alligator exhibit. I asked to speak with Jaycee. The desk clerk asked my name and room number and went to the back. He came out a few moments later and explained that she was finishing up with another guest over the phone and offered to have me take a seat in the lobby and she would be out momentarily. To be honest, I was not expecting a great interaction with her based solely upon the one I had had earlier with Maria. Needless to say, I was wrong to assume! Jaycee was one of the most pleasant people I had come across on our entire vacation! She really took the time to listen to the issues we were having with our room and I even told her about the suspected prositute since it really made me think about the safety of my children. She was absolutely sincere in her apology. She set up a specific time for our room to be cleaned daily and offered a refund of 2 nights. She also told me that if I ever suspected that any "funny business" from neighbors, to not hesitate to call the front desk so that security could be sent over to more closely monitor the area. I was very thankful for this. We did not have a housekeeping issue for the remainder of our stay.
We chose to stay around the hotel one Friday night and found they were having a movie by the pool. Jaycee saw us by the pool and came over to chat. She said to make sure the kids made some S'mores (?) Since the fires were lit. We asked what they were. She said to give her a moment and she would be right back. A few minutes later she came back with some bags and sticks. She actually took the time to show my children how to make them! Though my youngest thought it was more fun just to light the marshmallows on fire, it was a very nice gesture. My kids have vowed to teach all of their friends.
Even though Jaycee was the bright spot of our stay, we would not stay with the International Palms again. The rooms are quite dated and though there is shuttle service, it does not always run at the most convenient times. This hotel may be perfect for some families but it just didn't suit ours. We met some other families at the various parks who gave us some great suggestions. The Castle hotel is supossed to be really great. We heard that Universal has a new hotel going up as well. We may even stay on Disney property next time. Who knows. All we can say for sure is that we will not be at the International Palms.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret the resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide. I am happy that Jaycee was a great a help, she truly represents our culture of excellence and that your kids did enjoy the movies and smores. I have shared your comments with the Front Office team. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just had a week here following a few days in New York.
This Hotel is in need of a total refurbish, as most of the hotels are in Florida especially the International Drive Hotels that get a lot of use.
Having said all that we found the staff helpful and friendly and the rooms are huge.
Beds are comfortable and bedding and towels soft and clean.
Towels changed daily and beds made.
For a budget hotel its fine lots of space, clean, and as we chose the 14th floor it was very quiet too.

Room Tip: Basic comfortable and right in the midst of things being on I Drive good for non drivers as there ar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. Thank you for your comments.