“Good for what you need but has issues!”

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #257 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If, like us, you plan on not being in your hotel room and simply making use of a bed and shower at the end of amazing days enjoying the parks of Orlando then this might just do it, but if you are expecting more then this might not be for you.
We were under no illusion before travelling that this was a Motel more than Hotel, from reviews on here and also previous Orlando visits by my Husband.
We were housed in the Tower which many have commented on, however the good points first, everything very clean from sheets to room itself, very large room so loads of space for us and very comfy bed.
Large fridge, working TV and microwave (should you really need) plenty of drawer space and hangers and a free safe
Totally free shuttle to Magic Kingdom and Universal - not offered in many other hotels, especially for Disney and saves you a fortune.
Unfortunately there were bad points too... the lifts are horrendous and you can be left waiting for ages with no idea where the lift is as no digital count down above the doors unless on ground floor, we had to walk up and down several times after getting fed up waiting. From the 4th floor this is ok but much higher i would have been annoyed and my legs would not have managed it after the eventful days of Disney and Universal.
We were left to return on 3 occasions after 6pm without any towels and on one occasion they took 45 mins to bring any towels - not welcomed at all when desperate for relaxing shower.
The air conditioning is welcome on return to the room however be warned ours sounded like a jet engine taking off in the corner (no exageration) and can only assume that other rooms were the same as no one complained to us about ours... took a couple of nights to get used to being able to sleep with it on and definitely too hot without it
2 queen size beds in the room, just manageable for a couple but only if you are "cozy" can request a king but we decided not to bother.
The hot water is questionable in the morning, more tepid than hot but its plentiful at night when you really need it. Plus the shower is very low and not adjustable, fine for a little 5ft5 like me but my Husband (5ft9) struggled with having to duck every use.
The Staff are great and appear very pleasant and helpful and the location is of course just brilliant, with plenty of restaurants within 5 min walks for breakfast (from $4.99 all you can eat buffets) don't bother with the adding the hotel breakfast to the bill.
We didn't use the pool at all, although looked clean and nice and was quite busy.
The lifts, hot water, shower, towels and other bits certainly did not spoil our amazing holiday in any way but just make sure you know what to expect before you go. Don't expect the Ritz - go and enjoy the fantastic parks and just crash out at the end of the day and the shuttle is not to be under estimated at its value.

Room Tip: If in Tower keep the floor below 5/6 just to save on the walking should the lifts not improve, don...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CJ0hnst0n
International P... O, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. Our property is certainly not a motel, we have 3 food and beverage outlet, a beautiful pool, business center, game room,gift shop, 652 guest rooms that include 11 suites. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with our executive team, Again, thank you for you comments.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,243)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the International Palms last year in May, I have already put a review on trip adviser we returned to stay on International Drive this year but could not get to stay at the Inter Palms,
We stayed further down International Drive and did not like our hotel so as soon as we arrived home I have booked International Palms for 2014,
When we arrived last year we were in the low rise accommodation which I was not very keen on so I went back to reception and asked if it was possible to be moved to the tower the guy on the desk was great he changed our room with no problem.
When we arrive next year if I am put in the low rise I will ask again for the tower, the low rise rooms are ideal if you like the pool and have children the pool is nice clean and has a pool side bar.
All the staff we talked to were very polite the restaurant is very clean and the food is good,
The position on the hotel is spot on you have most things with in a five minute walk like pubs, shops, restaurants, i ride, a bungi ball ride look for it on you tube, and if you are wanting a tattoo straight across the street is Scratch the Surface ask for Paulo he is brilliant, The hotel has a bus service to Universal. (Can't wait to get back next year).

Room Tip: If you like spending your time at the pool area stay in the low rise. If your not a pool person you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank thunderguts

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your kind and gracious comments regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received on your last visit, we look forward to your return in 2014!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is not given enough credit!! The staff are fantastic...nothing is too much and they are always happy to help and I literally mean they are happy...makes a change from moody hotel staff!!
The hotel was reasonably cheap by comparison of other hotels in the location and we chose it as a base hotel. Beforehand we were a bit apprehensive due to other reviews however were very pleasantly surprised!! The décor is similar to that of other American hotels...generally quite dated!! the sheets were always clean as was the room in general!! excellent sized room with two double beds!!
Perfect location for the parks as it is close by to the i5 if you have a car and if not it has regular shuttles to parks and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel.
Restaurants and bars are within walking distance.
FANTASTIC HOTEL!!!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the pool...nice view!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susie S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. I have shared your comments with all of our associates and their managers. Again, thank you for your kind and gracious comments, regarding the facilities and the exceptional service and attention you received from our dedicated and passionate team, your review was very uplifting and greatly appreciated.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

While the hotel wasn't perfect, we feel that we got a great value for the price. For the night that we stayed there we could have paid the same price at a crappier place. The Rosen Inn a block away costs more per night yet has less amenities to offer.

The main building and lobby area are very nice. The reception staff was friendly but very slow, there was always a long line of people waiting to check in. I liked that since the printer in the business center was out of ink they allowed me to e-mail our park tickets and they printed them in the front desk.

The building that we stayed in was nothing like the main building. We had a tower room on the 5th floor or building D. This was supposed to be a secured building that required a key card entry but the lock didn't work so anybody could get in. The elevators were very old and very slow. The ceiling in the hallway on our floor was very low, the top of my 5'11" husband's head was just a couple of inches from the ceiling and I could touch the ceiling even though I am only 5'4".

The room was nicer than our building by comparison. Reasonably clean despite the old bathroom and carpet. The bed was comfortable. We had a view of I-4 and partial pool view yet it was quieter at night than other rooms facing I-4 that we've had at other hotels in the same area.

We were disappointed to find no food options late at night. We arrived to our room from Halloween Horror Nights wanting a snack and the vending machines were very hard to find, after a lot of walking and calling the front desk for directions we found a soda machine but there was no feed for purchase anywhere in the hotel and we were too tired to walk around I-Drive so late when we just wanted some chips.

The grounds were very well kept. The pool area was beautiful and clean and I liked that there were plenty of comfortable seating areas for conversation or reading. The alligator area in the back was an unexpected delight.

The breakfast buffet while a little pricey at 11.95 had much better food than the typical breakfast food at other hotel chains on I-Drive and they had an omelet station which was a great plus. The service was friendly and even the scrambled eggs tasted better.

The mini market had a lot of food options and they seem to be building a family center. We were disappointed that lunch options were limited to the pool area.

This was a quick romantic getaway with my husband but would definitely come back with our kids.

In a nutshell, while the hotel isn't perfect, it offers a great value for the price.

Room Tip: Elevator in D tower are old and slow but the room was great.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments about the printer with our Guest Service Department. I have also taken the liberty of sharing your comments about vending machines and late night snack options with our food and beverage department. We are currently building a coffee shop/ice cream parlor in the lobby opposite the reception desk that will stay open after our restaurant closes and we are also in discussion with a vendor to provide a vending machine with healthy snacks in our fitness center that is available and open 24 hours a day. Thank you for you comments.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Very dated not friendly or helpful . House keeping is a joke never got towels left had to phone down to the desk every day then waited ages for someone to bring them up to the room (only when phoned down for a seconded time ) rooms need decorated badly . Staff not helpfull at tall given wrong imformation . Wouldnt recomend this hotel to anyone only good thing is the pool and the location . Sept7 - sept 21 2013

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Joanne M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret that you resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide. You are totally correct regarding the towels, this is unacceptable, I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Department for immediate action. I am particularly sorry that you did not bring your concerns to our attention during your stay so that we could meet your requests immediately. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May 2013, and loved it.
We asked to change rooms on arrival due to not liking the linking doors to the rooms next door. However, this was not a problem at all for the staff, they couldn't have been more helpful. The gentleman that assisted us (i'm so sorry I can't remember your name) was brilliant ... between my OCD and jet lag he was so patient, and found us a room that was perfect for what we wanted.

If what you want is a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel where you are just needing to sleep, shower, and have a drink of an evening then this is the hotel for you. If you want a fancy hotel, then pay for one ... but you are in Orlando, you don't need it.

Good Points:
- Clean, tidy, room cleaned daily with fresh towels
- Friendly and helpful staff - we didn't need to contact our holiday rep once as they had all the answers
- Free safe in your room
- Brilliant shuttle service to and from the parks with plenty of times to choose from
- I-ride bus stop outside the front doors (I-ride is the most brilliant bus service - this gets you to SeaWorld). Unless you are going to use this bus every day, don't get a weekly ticket, pay as you go.
- Restaurants all around - would recommend Ponderosa for breakfast buffet and cheap evening buffet, Dennys, and the little breakfast place for breakfast directly opposite (cant remember the name), Buffalo Wild Wings for burger and Budweiser.
- Shopping malls close and easy to get to. Open til 11pm and 9pm Sundays.

Bad Points:
- Hotel a bit dated, but they are in the process of renovating.
- We had to go home!

Just a few added tips for those of you who are first timers like we were ... if you want to eat in the Castle at The Magic Kingdom then book MONTHS in advance (do this on their website), Busch Gardens is well worth the journey if you love roller coasters, we went on the Busch Gardens shuttle and it was brilliant. Also, if it is busy buy a Quick Queue ticket ... best $20 I spent, we got on every single big ride within 5 minutes when the queues were an hour + (we had to buy by card though). Discovery Cove take your photograph when you walk in and give it to you in a nice folder ... Don't make the same mistake as me ... I looked awful in ours because I hadn't realised and wore no make up and face was shiny with sun cream! Shop across the road sell good suitcases at decent prices.

Enjoy, and have a fab time ... we are already planning our return trip!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mrs_N02

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that continue to improve upon our product and services. We are most pleased that you generally found the resort and staff met your expectations. Thank you for you comments.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This motel, as that is what it felt like, is old. First off the pics on the site are of the grounds. Please look very closely at the decor of the rooms. The room smelled old and stale. There was old furniture , headboard nailed to the wall and the carpet was old and stained. The bathroom had tile like a home from the 70's. The water didn't get hot in the mornings so I took luke warm showers. The television might have been a 25' and it was not a flat screen. The elevator were very old and slow. The key card acess on the elevator never worked. If you heard the doors open you had better run because it might be a while before another one comes.
The front desk was terrible. They spent more time complementing each others make up than
paying attention to checking me in. I was given the wrong room. Oh yeah, and my room was I another building and there was not cart or bellhop to help with my bags . So I had to drag my bags back to the front desk. The front desk informed me that they don't read the groupons that they go by what the computer says. Hello!!!!! What is the point of me printing it and bringing it. Had she read it she would have given me the correct room. I never saw 2 restaurants only one and a bar that was never open. Tge restaurant was old with that same old stale carpet that was in my room. The wait staff wore cheesy palm tree shirts and was not worth the money.

Now if the hitel ammenities are nit important to you and closeness to the attractions is, then this is the place for you. I would NEVER stay here again. This hotel needs a major over haul. This trip was to celebrate my 34th birthday, if I had not prepaid for my room, I would not have stayed there 3 nights.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to stay. You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through such candid feedback that we continue to improve upon our product and services. We regret that you resort did not generally meet your expectations. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide. I am particularly sorry that you did not bring your concerns to our attention during your stay so that we could meet your requests immediately. Again, thank you for your comments.