“Fantastic stay for a kid-less couple at Disney!”

Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs™ Area
Ranked #147 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 17, 2005

We were VERY happy with the Hilton Disney World. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and spent 2 days at the Disney parks. The bus service was great, we were the 2nd stop for pickup AND dropoff, so we always got a seat and it was a quick ride. The bus was reliable except for the last night - we did the Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom until 1am and waited until almost 2am for the bus. I thought the "walking distance" to Downtown Disney attractions was a bit FAR for someone who spent all day walking around Disney parks. There is a bus that will take you there too so it's really not a problem. And once you get to the parks, you can take any of the Disney buses or monorail to the other parks. It's all very convenient!

The room was nice, well decorated, clean, comfy bed, and was pretty quiet. The only noise problems we had was our next door neighbor- she felt it was more important for her husband to sleep than the rest of the hotel, so every time her baby cried, she took him out in the hall. Otherwise, it was a quiet hotel. The pools were nice - although I thought there was supposed to be an adult pool, and there were little ones in all of them. Concierge was very helpful. Self parking was free and plentiful, although a bit of a walk to the hotel as valet gets the best spots, naturally. You can buy tickets to the park in the lobby, and it was the same price as I paid in advance on -------, and even worse, I had to wait in line to pick up the tickets at Will Call.

Food was good and convenient - we got late night room service one night, which was actually decently priced. There is a nice bar with lots of TVs for sports, pool tables, etc. Also there is a bakery/coffee shop open 24 hrs with Starbucks. It was very nice to hop in the AM, grab a coffee and muffin, and go wait for the bus. There is also a Benihana and Fins (seafood) on property, but we ate at Epcot every other night as the food there was fabulous (Italy and Japan have the best food!) and we had park hopper passes.

All in all - I was very happy with our choice. I was worried that we should have stayed at an official Disney resort, but this was JUST as convenient. Plus you still got the Extra Magic Hours like the Disney resorts. And thanks to a -------- online deal, we got a GREAT price too. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2005
13  Thank GTGal
Write a ReviewReviews (4,677)

UK
Reviewed February 16, 2005

We stayed at the hotel back in November 2004 but only just got round to doing a review.

We checked in late because our flight was late and check in staff were pretty grumpy and not overtly helpful. We had booked a Junior Suite and must say that we were extremely disappointed. On entering the room it smelt musty, there were no lights left on although the Boston Hilton had called beforehand to say that our flight was delayed. Although requested on numerous occassions, no bed had been made up for my daughter and this was at 11.30pm and we were not happy. Add to this that the suite was located at the back of an elevator shaft, overlooked a busy highway and we had an ice machine on the otherside of our headboard.

The next day we discussed our issues with Lillian and John at the Executive Concierge and the service we expected really kicked in. Both Lillian and John could not have done more to help resolve our issues. We were moved rooms immediately and things started to get better....except the housekeeping that is who kept forgetting towels, toiletries, to hoover the carpet etc etc etc...the list is endless. These were taken in good spirit and were always quickly resolved by John...star man!!

Putting the first night to one side, the rest of the stay was great. OK the bathrooms are small and the rooms a little outdated but most staff do try very hard to ensure you have a good stay.

One final thing...watch out for the Hilton Vacation Club salesmen in the lobby as they are a constant source of pestering and never give in.

Overall, get a good rate and give it a go....great location for Disney!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 9, 2005

Just returned from a three-night stay at the Hilton Walt Disney. As you can see from the rating, it was a decent experience. As others have stated, the hotel is conveniently located near Downtown Disney (within easy walking distance) and provides complimentary transportation to the theme parks (although I HIGHLY recommend renting a car, which will cost you no more than $90 for three full days). One thing to note is that while the hotel is technically rated four-stars by AAA, it is nothing more than a solid three-star hotel.

PROS
-Convenient location - approx. 2 blocks from Downtown Disney, near restaurants such as Chevy's, Uno's, Denny's, Macaroni Grill, Chili's, IHOP, etc.
-Free on-site parking
-24-hour convenience store with a good variety of snack food items, such as coffee, tea, ice cream, candy, doughnuts, chips, etc.
-Multiple on-site restaurants (Benihana, etc.)
-Price - DO NOT pay more than $125/night including taxes
-Health/fitness facilities - multiple cardio machines, superior selection of weight-lifting machines, one set of dumbells (from 3 to 50 lbs.)

CONS
-The room/hotel decor is a bit outdated (beyond the lobby)
-The room contained a "stale" odor
-The room had poor sound insulation, leading to potentially restless nights

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2005

We loved our stay at the Hilton. It was in a great location, right next to Downtown Disney. They also offer shuttle buses to the theme parks. Yes it might take a little while to wait for the bus and get there, but it is a lot better than paying for a parking space that is far away from the entrance! They also have a 24 hour store w/food, drinks and snacks in the lobby of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable. The room was very spacious too! We had a great time, and would definitely go back!!!

8  Thank BReusing
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 13, 2005

Stayed for three nights for a first time visit to Disney World. Hotel is quite nice for the price (found a discount via MouseSavers). Hotel is considered an "official" Disney hotel, and has many perks worth the extra few bucks to stay here, but still much cheaper than a hotel on Disney property.

Room and beds were comfy. Room was a bit warm at first, then realized they have an AC powersaver. Once you lock your door, the AC will kick on.

The Front desk and Bell desk were very accomodating and took good care of us whenever we needed help or made a request.

Downtown Disney is just a five-minute walk out the front door of the hotel. Buses pick up every half-hour for the Disney parks at the back of the hotel. First hotel to be picked up, so bus has plenty of seats.

The hotel also offers Disney Extra Magic hours. This gets you either into a park early or allows you to stay late. (See WDW site for days and parks.)

One of the nicest perks was being able to buy things in a park, then have them shipped to the hotel. No lugging packages around all day!

A Disney store in the hotel sells tickets and merchandise.

For those Krispy Kreme lovers, the breakfast buffet has a mini-display of doughnuts. Otherwise, the buffet is your usual hotel buffet.

For $4 more a day, you can rent the safe in your room. The room also has a refrigerator with small bottles and snacks for a premium price. Better to go downstairs to the 24-hour deli or order room service. Room service prices weren't bad.

All in all, this hotel was a good value for the price. Would stay here again!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2005

My family and I stayed at the WDW Hilton during our Christmas week in Disneyworld (crowded but fun way to spend the holidays!). The location of the hotel is just fine -- there is a shuttle that takes you over to the major disney theme parks on a regular schedule, although don't expect them to adhere to it to the minute.... Overall, the hotel was totally fine. It was not a premier Hilton by any stretch. The decor was neutral, lobby average. Very nice Christmas tree and holiday decorations, but nothing to write home about. The room was fine -- we had connecting rooms for our kids.

PROS: I actually got a great rate by calling the Hilton directly -- $109/night. Our other relatives staying in the same hotel at the same hotel paid $189/nt and that was simply too much for what you get. The restuarant that serves breakfast has a GREAT buffet, with Disney characters on Sundays. Walk to Downtown Disney - a nice break from the theme parks or if you have an extra day when your ParkHopper runs out :)

CONS: The plumbing to our room was loud -- some air in the pipes? Also, the faucet handle leaked a bit at the base (sink). I did not call maintenance since we were in the room a lot and I knew there was nothing they could do about the pipes and didnt' really care about the slowly leaking handle on the sink.

The biggest problem was the concierge (lucy?) who was simply ignorant -- not a great attribute for a concierge. After a week of Disney, I asked if there were any non-Disney things to do in Orlando. Her response: "Non-Disney? You came to the wrong place." She said there was nothing else to do. "No parks? No place to walk around with my toddler?" Not that I can think of, she responded. I even pointed to the huge display of attraction brochures behind her head. "What about those?" I asked. She turned around. "Haven't been there." ??? She would have been more helpful if she were one of the Disney animatrons.

Another pet peeve of mine is the hotel's fake environmental policy. They left me a card on my pillow saying, "We are committed to energy and resource conservation. Energy conservation helps reduce the effects of global warming .... [we have installed] energy saving lighting throughout the Hotel." This is great!! But it's not true!! My room had only traditional incandescant lamps, and the elevator lobby on my floor (one of dozens of individual lobby areas) had no less than 60 light bulbs (!) that could have been serviced with 2 fluorescent or other energy saving lamps.

Anyway, it could have been above average if not for the concierge and the fake environmental policy. But it's just average.

11  Thank TommyBoy2004
Reviewed January 1, 2005

My daughter and I stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed ourselves very much. It's just a walk to Downtown Disney from the hotel with buses that will take you to any part of the park, just ask any of the drivers what's the quickest way to get where you want to go. Take advantage of parks when they open early by getting on the 6:30 bus from the hotel. It really cuts down on the lineups and you will have finished most everything you want to do by the time the rest of the park is filling up.

The only thing I would caution about the hotel is the confirmation I printed off before I left home stated I had free continental breakfast. However, I didn't remember this until after I had given the front desk clerk my printout, and even after speaking to two different people, I was not able to get my free continental breakfasts. So make sure you go armed with two or three copies of everything.

If the weather is inclement, don't go to Epcot. There are fewer indoor attractions there. Go to a mall instead! Also, there is a small gas station down the street from the hotel, across the street from Pleasure Island that has a small store attached. You can get pizza and subs and snacks much cheaper than at the little convenience store in the hotel or at Walt Disney World

9  Thank Thesewordsaremine